2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

24 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Who has the money to pay Rourke this year? Nobody in the CFL should have the $600,000 he'll demand.

Cap isn't applied till the teams first game active roster is submitted to the league. Like Jcon said, you'd cut guys to make him work. Be it regular season or otherwise. Teams also don't immediately spend the entire cap as well. Some reserve has to be left for PR expansions, nfl cut down guys etc. Our cap is likely the most flexible hard cap of any sports league in north America. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Cap isn't applied till the teams first game active roster is submitted to the league. Like Jcon said, you'd cut guys to make him work. Be it regular season or otherwise. Teams also don't immediately spend the entire cap as well. Some reserve has to be left for PR expansions, nfl cut down guys etc. Our cap is likely the most flexible hard cap of any sports league in north America. 

"Cap" isn't applied at all until the end of the season.  It's a salary management system, not a hard cap.  The only major pro league in North America with a hard cap is the NHL.  Meaning that the cap number is calculated daily within the season and if a team is over the league will automatically put on waivers the player(s) needed to make the team meet the cap number.

For CFL they simply add up salary and bonuses paid Jan 1 to Dec 31 - exemptions for 6 game following the season.  

You could play way over the pace to exceed the limit and the penalty isn't applied until after the season and on the next draft.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Who has the money to pay Rourke this year? Nobody in the CFL should have the $600,000 he'll demand.

I don't think he's coming but almost anyone could make room.  I'd bet heavily on Toronto or BC should he ever return.  They'd trade or cut their current starter.

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

My bet would be BC or Toronto as well for a Rourke return.

How much do you think he makes? 

My bet is at least $600,000 but I could see $700,000.

If it's Toronto, they'll get a special exemption to go over the cap. And, we'll have the TSN crew crying on air about how it's justified and that the CFL wouldn't survive without Rourke. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

My bet would be BC or Toronto as well for a Rourke return.

How much do you think he makes? 

My bet is at least $600,000 but I could see $700,000.

Hate to say it but Sask. would be wise to put themselves in a position to be able to dump old Trevor Harris at a moments notice with no financial consequences to their cap.  Rourke probably still wouldn't want to go there.

49 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Hate to say it but Sask. would be wise to put themselves in a position to be able to dump old Trevor Harris at a moments notice with no financial consequences to their cap.  Rourke probably still wouldn't want to go there.

"Argos or Lions...."

("Argos or Lions")...

Johnny Carson's Best Jokes Ever

53 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

If the Argos signed Rourke, Kelly would be gone soooo fast.

Pro Palestinian protestors have taken over Percival Molson Stadium. Sounds like they're not going anywhere. Cops have decided to do nothing but observe. Organizers say it's like their own city. So, how does that affect the Alouettes training camp & (at least) their pre season game? Can they move to Olympic Stadium or are they working on the roof? 

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Pro Palestinian protestors have taken over Percival Molson Stadium. Sounds like they're not going anywhere. Cops have decided to do nothing but observe. Organizers say it's like their own city. So, how does that affect the Alouettes training camp & (at least) their pre season game? Can they move to Olympic Stadium or are they working on the roof? 

They don't do training camp at McGill they are holding it in Trois-Riveria

6 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Calgary would make all the sense in the world. A QB that would get some excitement going and Meire would be very easy to move on from.

Ownership in YYC is too cheap. The owner (Murray Edwards) is a billionaire living in Switzerland so as not to pay Canadian income tax like you & I. He won't spend a penny on football operations. Living here, the Stamps are a true football wasteland. You don't even know if Calgary has a CFL team. Edwards could turn things around so fast if he wanted to but alas, he doesn't. The Elks think private ownership is the Holy Grail. Sure, if you have someone who cares like Omar Doman in BC but then you have private douchebags like Edwards & MLSE who don't. It's a roll of the dice.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

They don't do training camp at McGill they are holding it in Trois-Riveria

Well, the season starts around May 25th so if these protestors entrench themselves at Percival Molson Stadium, then what?? Also, I'm concerned about Princess Auto Stadium as it's on the campus of the U of M. What if protestors in Winnipeg do the same?

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, the season starts around May 25th so if these protestors entrench themselves at Percival Molson Stadium, then what?? Also, I'm concerned about Princess Auto Stadium as it's on the campus of the U of M. What if protestors in Winnipeg do the same?

If even one team can't play in their stadium, the season probably won't start. 

But in Winnipeg?  I could see Wade Miller getting that situation resolved. 

59 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We don’t have as many pro Palestine people as they do. But sometimes what would hamas do. Hmm. Don’t think the ppl would like that.  Montreal has a cfl team they say? What’s a cfl. 

Edited by Goalie

A representative of the protesters stated that no matter where they choose to demonstrate, there will be no violence or blockade of people from their buildings and I would assume that would include footyball games. They are smart enough to know its not a good idea to really irk people.