2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Love Jeffcoat , but we need someone every game. Dude makes good money and we need a guy on the field. 

The Riders just keep over spending - they do it every year. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

He doesn't need to be a depth guy, just needs some depth behind him that can take meaningful, impactful snaps.

Other teams are full aware of his injury issues...so top end money won't come his way from them either...hence why you havn't heard his name in any deals...so if its a case Team X offers him 19ok to 205k and we say we can make it work at 170k...175k....No doubt he sticks here, but to speak to that other point makes it even more imperative that we scrap the Jackson use and field another rotational end not named Bennet...or use snaps to play an interior guy outside and further bagging them out.

For WJ and JJ to be effective...Heck any duo you want and need another guy spelling them off...if not 2....and then you can use them in different front all together...this is where we have failed badly last 2 yrs...and its shown

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Other teams are full aware of his injury issues...so top end money won't come his way from them either...hence why you havn't heard his name in any deals...so if its a case Team X offers him 19ok to 205k and we say we can make it work at 170k...175k....No doubt he sticks here, but to speak to that other point makes it even more imperative that we scrap the Jackson use and field another rotational end not named Bennet...or use snaps to play an interior guy outside and further bagging them out.

For WJ and JJ to be effective...Heck any duo you want and need another guy spelling them off...if not 2....and then you can use them in different front all together...this is where we have failed badly last 2 yrs...and its shown

I’m ready to move on from JJ. 

Sometimes business works both ways - I want Davis II 

JOD is going Xmas shopping and will be stressing out when the credit card bill comes. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

I’m ready to move on from JJ. 

Sometimes business works both ways - I want Davis II 

JOD is going Xmas shopping and will be stressing out when the credit card bill comes. 

some Hungry youth like Davis II would be a welcome add.....and a Kongbo re-union to where he flourished would be the perfect guy to rotate in with along with one of the new guys...

59 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

He doesn't need to be a depth guy, just needs some depth behind him that can take meaningful, impactful snaps.

Agree, it sure looks like he was game managed last season for what is likely a chronic hip injury.  If they can sign Jeffcoat for one more season and he spends 6 meaningless games mid-late season on the IR, it saves valuable cap money and it's the perfect opportunity to find his replacement and get him up to speed, be it Haba or someone else.

Edited by Fatty Liver

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Agree, it sure looks like he was game managed last season for what is likely a chronic hip injury.  If they can sign Jeffcoat for one more season and he spends 6 meaningless games mid-late season on the IR, it saves valuable cap money and it's the perfect opportunity to find his replacement and get him up to speed, be it Haba or someone else.

The uncertainty actually cap management- not to mention the roster in general. 

Also - we didn’t have 6 meaningless games mid-late season and you sure as hell can’t plan for that. 

5 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

The uncertainty actually fucks up cap management- not to mention the roster in general. 

Also - we didn’t have 6 meaningless games mid-late season and you sure as hell can’t plan for that. 

I don't see it, DE's in waiting are probably coming off the PR on ELC's earning half what Jeffcoat makes. 6-gaming him deducts his salary from the cap, not that difficult to plan for if it's intentional and not accidental. 

15 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't see it, DE's in waiting are probably coming off the PR on ELC's earning half what Jeffcoat makes. 6-gaming him deducts his salary from the cap, not that difficult to plan for if it's intentional and not accidental. 

It’s a ridiculous concept. If we have to be benching a guy for a third of the season to be able to afford him and maintain him, it’s not worth having him.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

It’s a ridiculous concept. If we have to be benching a guy for a third of the season to be able to afford him and maintain him, it’s not worth having him.

I am of the same opinion. If we sign JJ, there is a very high probability that he misses significant time, but we have to sign him based on the hope we get the full 18 out of him or don't sign him at all. If what we know about JJ's injury history is taken into account in contract bargaining so that we aren't holding the bag on him if he's injured, he could be a guy that we want back and use his trim to sign a strong rotational DE that can take on his reps if he goes down again. The counter argument that we should just move on is also valid, providing we get an impact DE to replace him. I'm good either way we play it, as long as it is played right and we don't push all our chips in on JJ to stay healthy.

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They need to seriously think about how many 30+ guys are hanging on here.

But if it came down to it, I'd take Jeffcoat every day of the week over Alexander...even if he only played half the season.

I don't really care how old a player is until I see signs of regression. I agree with your assessment. I see no issues with bringing JJ back as long as we understand and prepare for the eventuality that he will likely miss games. Bring in a viable 3rd DE that can be an effective starter when JJ is down and resign JJ and I'm good with that.

I don't look at age really either in this day and age...It's effectiveness...impact and ability to stay on field....also subtle changes in how they do their job...or try to....or start compensating to do it

Therein is where I am not sad to see Yosh go other than his presence and energy, and leadership...I think we walked away at the exact right time, and this yr in Sask will see more decline, and with a body make-up such as his will erode fast

Especially on a poorer oline, and a new system being installed....I can see him dumped in off-season next yr if he has a big bonus due again

40 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I don't really care how old a player is until I see signs of regression. I agree with your assessment. I see no issues with bringing JJ back as long as we understand and prepare for the eventuality that he will likely miss games. Bring in a viable 3rd DE that can be an effective starter when JJ is down and resign JJ and I'm good with that.

There's the odd case where guys started later or haven't played a lot.  Alexander has had all the big injuries.  He hasn't really been explosive at all since 2021.  Once guys start having the big joint injuries it happens more and more.  No one can beat that cycle once they start having knee/hip issues.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There's the odd case where guys started later or haven't played a lot.  Alexander has had all the big injuries.  He hasn't really been explosive at all since 2021.  Once guys start having the big joint injuries it happens more and more.  No one can beat that cycle once they start having knee/hip issues.

At the speed positions I really am more concerned with the losing of a step than in the trenches for sure. BA looks to be slower, we know that he was hobbled most of the year last year. I would hope that the Bombers will be paying very close attention to that position in camp and will make adjustments to the plan if it becomes apparent they need to do so. I have no issues with the Bombers signing  him and giving him a chance to come back though. I just hope that he earns the job.

Edited by GCn20

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Might as well accept it, it's been the reality of the situation for the past 5 seasons, Jeffcoat has played 12-14 games in every season since arrival, other than his first when he played in 16 games.  When on the field he gives 100% effort and has been a game-changer, making the entire line much more effective, including Willie.  In all that time off, nobody has stepped up in his absence and demonstrated they are the rush-end that could replace his contribution.

I think the crux of this situation is that Walters has probably offered Jeffcoat a reduction commensurate with his playing time, and he's balked at accepting it.  For people who think Walters will be able to afford a proven stud, good luck, with a limited budget the replacement will have to come from within.

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Awe re-signs in Calgary and BC cuts Woody Baron loose ahead of a 30k bonus due...

I wonder if players ever stop accepting off season roster bonuses. Soo many guys lose that money. 
 Not surprised awe he’s dirty is back, but I always hope teams will move on from clowns like this. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I wonder if players ever stop accepting off season roster bonuses. Soo many guys lose that money. 
 Not surprised awe he’s dirty is back, but I always hope teams will move on from clowns like this. 

It's the players/agents who put those bonuses in there at that time.... to force the team to **** or get off the pot, and allow them to move on to another team if they don't get the bonus. This is what they want. 

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Might as well accept it, it's been the reality of the situation for the past 5 seasons, Jeffcoat has played 12-14 games in every season since arrival, other than his first when he played in 16 games.  When on the field he gives 100% effort and has been a game-changer, making the entire line much more effective, including Willie.  In all that time off, nobody has stepped up in his absence and demonstrated they are the rush-end that could replace his contribution.

I think the crux of this situation is that Walters has probably offered Jeffcoat a reduction commensurate with his playing time, and he's balked at accepting it.  For people who think Walters will be able to afford a proven stud, good luck, with a limited budget the replacement will have to come from within.

In all probability it will have to come from within. You are correct. However, there is still some good value DEs on the market.

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Players never really plan on necessarily getting that money. It's not what the offseason bonus is designed to do. It is simply a way to force teams to commit to a player or cut him loose with enough time to catch on somewhere else. If a player does not get his offseason bonus he has not lost anything that he can't make up for with his signing bonus on a new team. Players who are cut before offseason bonuses do not lose anything. It is a far better outcome than coming to TC and being cut because you weren't in the plans in the first place.

Edited by GCn20