Jump to content

2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)


Noeller

Recommended Posts

whenever Eli was in last year, he looked REALLY good.... as Dave mentioned, he was a road grader. And as Booch has talked about several times, Eli was a highly touted NCAA prospect that is a natural C. Koala doesn't have anywhere near the pedigree. Now that's not to say that Koala hasn't developed, but I just have a hard time believing that Eli isn't the guy who should be starting at C for us in 2024... if we lose either Yosh or Gray or both, then maybe Koala has to be a G or the 6th guy....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U look at teams with needs and bladek gets 160k easily. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

whenever Eli was in last year, he looked REALLY good.... as Dave mentioned, he was a road grader. And as Booch has talked about several times, Eli was a highly touted NCAA prospect that is a natural C. Koala doesn't have anywhere near the pedigree. Now that's not to say that Koala hasn't developed, but I just have a hard time believing that Eli isn't the guy who should be starting at C for us in 2024... if we lose either Yosh or Gray or both, then maybe Koala has to be a G or the 6th guy....

I almost want to think that gray might be moving on to his engineering career and they signed kolo to be the 6th or starting center (if eli maybe better at guard) cuz he is a road grader 100 percent. 

Edited by Goalie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Mike Miller was making 95 k last year, moving on from Jeffcoat saves us between 165-185, Winston Rose/Brandon Alexander are both around 100 grand each. Lots of money freed up. I think the Bombers were happy with a lot of their young guys stepping up in the secondary so that’s a lot of money for those four guys alone. Plus some of the restructuring from guys like Demski, etc there should be plenty of money available. 

Can't forget about Evan Holm, more than likely we see him back at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

We will circle back to this when he signs. It won’t be close to $140k. 

It will be closer to that than it is $140k

Depends on his role I guess. Does a team want to pay north of 170k for a back-up?  Kolo making 140k as a starter will not help him any, it sets a low bar for teams to use as a comparable.  There are teams (western teams in Green in particular) that like to do dumb things so they could certainly give him a bad contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

The same reason Jackson and Bennett held roster spots. 

Bennett was a Canadian. Jackson was Osh’s boy. We get it. 
 

Kind of comparing cdn apples to American cherrys. It’s just nope. 
 

kolo was a starter tho. Doubt they would play a starter all year just out of spite. That’s ridiculous. I do think there is something there tho, training camp was a joke last year. Did biggie or any vet actually participate? Not really. 

Let’s just say if Thomas is back and the marine doesn’t get cut then well, ok. Cuz I’ve had enough of both. Bennett sucks tho but he was Canadian so therefore semi colon yup 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

whenever Eli was in last year, he looked REALLY good.... as Dave mentioned, he was a road grader. And as Booch has talked about several times, Eli was a highly touted NCAA prospect that is a natural C. Koala doesn't have anywhere near the pedigree. Now that's not to say that Koala hasn't developed, but I just have a hard time believing that Eli isn't the guy who should be starting at C for us in 2024... if we lose either Yosh or Gray or both, then maybe Koala has to be a G or the 6th guy....

I am not sure that Kolo would have got much up front. If Eli beats him out then we can either release him or make him 6th guy as his contract is favorable for it. Not sure why everyone has their crap tied in a knot over this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Depends on his role I guess. Does a team want to pay north of 170k for a back-up?  Kolo making 140k as a starter will not help him any, it sets a low bar for teams to use as a comparable.  There are teams (western teams in Green in particular) that like to do dumb things so they could certainly give him a bad contract. 

But that is what you are up against negotiating a salary - other people paying more than what they may be worth. There are more examples of overpaying in free agency than in re-signing ahead of free agency. Pretty confident in that. 
 

$140k is not a big salary for a competent starting NI OL. 

Edited by Geebrr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

whenever Eli was in last year, he looked REALLY good.... as Dave mentioned, he was a road grader. And as Booch has talked about several times, Eli was a highly touted NCAA prospect that is a natural C. Koala doesn't have anywhere near the pedigree. Now that's not to say that Koala hasn't developed, but I just have a hard time believing that Eli isn't the guy who should be starting at C for us in 2024... if we lose either Yosh or Gray or both, then maybe Koala has to be a G or the 6th guy....

If he is an unstoppable force he will play. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Noeller said:

because Osh overly favours vets? 

I don't believe Koala held the 1C spot because he was better than Eli..... but that's just IMO, and as we've always said, the average fan knows almost nothing about the OL. And that's fine... I'm just eyeballing it, but thats' what it SEEMED like to me......

In this situation Eli was here first.  So I'm not sure the "vet" got the favoritism.

Eli has never beat out anyone for a job here.  Not Couture, not Speller, not Desjarlais, not Gray, not Neufeld, not Kolankowski.  Could be a mass conspiracy against him I guess.

He'll probably get another chance both interior and RT this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The issue for Streveler was that Dru Brown was graduating to being a starter MBT came back to the cfl.  Tre Ford is available in a trade to teams as well and he offers a cheaper price point and Canadian status.  Bombers probably the only team with full confidence they know how to use Streveler. Things would be different if Paul Lapolice was still head coach in Ottawa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I like the Kolo, signing... cheap and effective.  He would for sure be a starter on a few other teams... that low contract coupled with average started skill level are awesome trade bait.

That's my thinking as well. As long as we didn't pay him much up front I see no reason for anybody being upset by it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

In this situation Eli was here first.  So I'm not sure the "vet" got the favoritism.

Eli has never beat out anyone for a job here.  Not Couture, not Speller, not Desjarlais, not Gray, not Neufeld, not Kolankowski.  Could be a mass conspiracy against him I guess.

He'll probably get another chance both interior and RT this year.

I don’t think it is a conspiracy against a guy with a three year contract - and I know you don’t either. 
 

They want him to be the starter -  I’m sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The issue for Streveler was that Dru Brown was graduating to being a starter MBT came back to the cfl.  Tre Ford is available in a trade to teams as well and he offers a cheaper price point and Canadian status.  Bombers probably the only team with full confidence they know how to use Streveler. Things would be different if Paul Lapolice was still head coach in Ottawa. 

The issue for Streveler is that he is an awesome force of nature in his package of plays but he has never demonstrated that he is surefire starter material and has been away from the CFL for a few years. I am sure he will get some reps this year to make that case.

Just now, Geebrr said:

I don’t think it is a conspiracy against a guy with a three year contract - and I know you don’t either. 
 

They want him to be the starter -  I’m sure. 

To be the man you have to beat the man. I am sure that the Bombers would love nothing more than if Eli did that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're paying $800K for our QB's (600K+140K+min $ 3rd string QB), which is more than we paid last year, likely more than any other team is paying its QB stable. 

Brady's worth north of $180K and Schoen is worth north of $250K on the open market. Both of those salaries are way higher than last year (Brady 100-110K, Schoen not even on the top 20 list).

Cutting some part time starters and special teams players, replacing them with min salaried players, won't be enough to offset the bigger salaries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mike said:

I swear you have the wildest takes, Colin. What are you going on about? Our backup QB who hasn’t proven he can be a starter carries more value than either the best RB or WR in the league? 

I don’t view him as a backup qb. I think he will be a significant part of the offence.  If Brady leaves I think we will sign a pretty good replacement.  I’m looking at our last two Grey Cup losses and thinking that an added element like Streveler could have made the difference in either of those games. Games where we had access to Brady and Schoen. If we lose them we are still going to be good at receiver and running back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

We're paying $800K for our QB's (600K+140K+min $ 3rd string QB), which is more than we paid last year, likely more than any other team is paying its QB stable. 

Brady's worth north of $180K and Schoen is worth north of $250K on the open market. Both of those salaries are way higher than last year (Brady 100-110K, Schoen not even on the top 20 list).

Cutting some part time starters and special teams players, replacing them with min salaried players, won't be enough to offset the bigger salaries. 

We shall see who will stay and who will go I guess. Right now it looks like Miller's 150k, and Jeffcoat's 190k are off the books for sure. That's some savings there. We will need more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The big kick in the nuts with the Kolankowski contract is simple.  It's no secret they're trying desperately to find the money to keep Olivera around (else he'd be signed right now) and Kolankowski was probably the most obvious "vet" to let walk with an internal replacement.  From an on-paper fan POV, it's as easy as subtracting Kolankowski and one of Neufel/Gray and replacing them with Eli and Dobson, then rostering a new young guy as the 6/7 and saving a bit of cash.  Pretty much any other veteran FA we have, there aren't nearly as many internal options to replace them, if any at all.  That's the main driver of the Kola contract hate. It has little to do with whether he's an average starter or whether he's being paid like a middle of the pack OL or a bottom end starter.  
 

Plus there's also the last 2 seasons of doing the same thing and seeing the same results (losing in the grey cup) and an obvious place to try something new was the interior of the OL, which showed more cracks last season than it has in any of the previous 5. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The issue for Streveler was that Dru Brown was graduating to being a starter MBT came back to the cfl.  Tre Ford is available in a trade to teams as well and he offers a cheaper price point and Canadian status.  Bombers probably the only team with full confidence they know how to use Streveler. Things would be different if Paul Lapolice was still head coach in Ottawa. 

Tre Ford being a Canadian doesn't provide any benefit as the QB position is a non-counter when it comes to the ratio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...