2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

He was a division or league All-Star every single season he played for the Bombers. Incredible to think what he could have accomplished if he dedicated himself to lifestyle more consistently as opposed to just relying on talent 😳

Yeah Charles Robert's is the poster child for God given talent. So good with so little effort put in.

27 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

He was a division or league All-Star every single season he played for the Bombers. Incredible to think what he could have accomplished if he dedicated himself to lifestyle more consistently as opposed to just relying on talent 😳

Don't know that he would have done a ton more but he likely would have had a longer career I think.

18 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I mean going out and getting **** faced the night before a Grey Cup game where we had a guy making his first start ever at QB was frustrating. 

It shows you, at least to me, how addictions and battling one's own personal demons can't always be held in check, even for an important moment coming up.

We all have them, some more impactful than others and some more difficult for others to keep in check.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

That is an incredibly crass comment and like so many tropes, not at all accurate.  Be better.

Yeah no kidding ..he never came from that background and when he got back to Cali he did a few things...postman.. but for the last three, four years works in the communication department at a branch of the School of medicine at UCLA.... So very far from a ghetto rat by any means.....shameful comment

4 hours ago, Stickem said:

.....Trading him to the leo's, where he finished up with a torn achilles, was not the way I would've like to have seen Charlie go out....I think his heart left the game after he left Wpg. and it was just a matter of time until the inevitable....the injury just moved it along a little faster....I rank him along with Leo Lewis as the best this club has ever seen, and even with his smoking and offfield antics,that doesn't change for this fan

Didn't Roberts hold out at training camp a couple of times? Complaining he was underpaid & not appreciated by the Bombers? I seem to remember him doing that at least a couple of times. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Didn't Roberts hold out at training camp a couple of times? Complaining he was underpaid & not appreciated by the Bombers? I seem to remember him doing that at least a couple of times. 

Charlie always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder....Might have served him well because that's how he played...with a lot of success I might add...I know he had a few run ins with management and he probably wouldn't fit the fifo mold of today...Sometime he looked like he didn't give a crap when they got a shot of him on the bench on occasion....That's when he'd come in and rip off a 30-40 yard run making the opposition look foolish...Luv'd the guy

Edited by Stickem

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And that legendary 'Chuckdiesel' post.

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Really. Were Roberts and Sellers not on the team at the same time? Pretty sure in 2002 2003 they were. And they were called Thunder and Lightning. 

No no no my brain read Reid for some reason, Smith and Reid were the 2.0 incarnation of Thunder and Lightning

I just woke up from an old man nap in my defense haha

Edited by MOBomberFan

22 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Natural talent means nothing if you can't be disciplined enough to get ready to play. Or to be a team leader & lead by example. I mean. Dinwiddie was a **** qb anyway. We really had no chance with him playing. But that's what you get when you sign crappy qbs behind the starter. I expected the Bombers to lose in 2009 but not 2001.

2009? I assume you mean 2007.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

No no no my brain read Reid for some reason, Smith and Reid were the 2.0 incarnation of Thunder and Lightning

I just woke up from an old man nap in my defense haha

This is how I remember it 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Once I believe...was about usage too..when we had mills and the other back who's name escapes me... I think 

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

2001, his rookie year, mills and Blount and Charlie left in a huff before they worked it out 

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

And that legendary 'Chuckdiesel' post.

Bombers were on a 12 games winning streak in 2001 and sitting at 14-2. The Rick Worman offence was all about spreading the ball around. More than one game I recall we had 9 different players with a reception, despite having Milt and Robert Gordon there was no one player who could be keyed on by opposing defences. Charlie was essentially a punt returner that rookie year. Mills did the ground and pound in the first half, with Blount as kick returner and the change of pace back. Roberts would come in as the fresh legs in the fourth quarter to salt the game away against tired defences. Despite the success, Roberts was not happy and seemingly out of the blue he walked out in the club and threatened to quit the team right after win #14 because he was not the feature back. The club relented and convinced him to come back and make changes to the O, but suspended him for the next game as punishment. We lost that game in Toronto and then the following week at home to Calgary, allowing them to sneak in to the playoffs on the last weekend. Our offence never really recovered as Worman went more “Blink heavy” in those remaining games as the main running back. And we all know how that ended up that season.

Then a few years later (I want to say 2004, but that may be the wrong year) he posted on Ourbombers as chuckdiesel and basically said he was retiring, again out of the blue. Then yanked the post, but it was already out there in the public domain. Then he got his nose out of joint when the media surrounded him at practice the next time he showed up and asked him about it. Seemed really bothered about the fuss he has caused, and refused to address it beyond “oh I wasn’t going to follow through with it” but did not explain why he posted it in the first place, and why were people making a big deal about what he said?

Talent yes, but Milt Stegall said he had zero breakaway speed and would never outrun anyone to the end zone in a straight up sprint because he would be gassed after 20 yards, and unless he had a 15 yard head start he’d be caught from behind. And he just couldn’t keep out of his own way between the ears it seems. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Talent yes, but Milt Stegall said he had zero breakaway speed and would never outrun anyone to the end zone in a straight up sprint

Dunno if it was gassed or just not fast...Charlie was quick. 0-60 in no time and insane change of direction  but a burner he was not.

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Once I believe...was about usage too..when we had mills and the other back who's name escapes me... I think 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

2001, his rookie year, mills and Blount and Charlie left in a huff before they worked it out 

Tbh we had a lot of that in the taman era. His negotiation tactics and penitent for cheaping out cost us soo much talent. We likely would’ve won a gc after 01 if we didn’t screw around soo much. Bruce, Clark, Armstrong we screwed and low balled soo much under taman. Our fa pick ups virtually all sucked as well. 
 I don’t blame the milt blink and other hold outs. Or guys leaving to other teams for a bit more money. 

Taman also didnt even want Blink ..said he would always be fumbling cause his hands were too small ... And wouldn't last from pounding....prob one the toughest sob's pound for pound...much like Grant is...and Blink rarely fumbled.

Another Taman assessment was he felt Gavin Walls as well was a pointless camp invite...never liked Taman...glorified ball boy with zero real football connections...more recruiting came to us thru players referrals and parents of players...