2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

I was once told by a very wise coach that when leaving an organization it's best to leave in a good frame of mind....Burning bridges do not do a thing except disconnect you from the great things that happened for you....Thinking back, there are a few players that have said things that they wish they never uttered....Deiter Brock was one that comes to mind when he 'slagged' Winnipeg with his comments...He said awhile ago that he regrets the comments but once said they're out there and hard to take back.....JJ is not in a good frame of mind and it's understandable...What really irks me is toads like Friezen who lap that kind of thing up and exploit the situation for cheap journalism...

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I thought I read that Brady Oliveira also said the Bombers were pretty quiet about his contract negotiations as well leading up to the tampering week and then Wade Miller got involved and reached out when other offers were coming in. 

I think both sides were at a bit of a standstill as both had made their "final offers" and neither was willing to blink first in negotiations. Very different scenario. 

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I was once told by a very wise coach that when leaving an organization it's best to leave in a good frame of mind....Burning bridges do not do a thing except disconnect you from the great things that happened for you....Thinking back, there are a few players that have said things that they wish they never uttered....Deiter Brock was one that comes to mind when he 'slagged' Winnipeg with his comments...He said awhile ago that he regrets the comments but once said they're out there and hard to take back.....JJ is not in a good frame of mind and it's understandable...What really irks me is toads like Friezen who lap that kind of thing up and exploit the situation for cheap journalism...

It wasn't a positive article, but I don't think Jeffcoat said anything unfair or that ruffles me the wrong way as a fan. 

Definitely no bridges burned on this side, imo. 

On going talks and then final offers..then some silence or non communication is standard fare...what else you supposed to do? That's standard fare until this new tampering window.

As for JJ...not sure what the disrespect is...if his offer was lower than he wanted...and like to age and durability issues then really he has no reason to be other than disappointment...but disrespectful is kind of sour grapes...take best deal offered and prove true worth then....why quit

I also think this isn't end of it either and he could be back...or be elsewhere...lots of time between now and TC's

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

Credit to @EdTait for digging this up and putting it in his latest 1st and 10: https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/02/09/first-10-free-agency-preview-2/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cool sound bite from long-time NFL executive and former Atlanta Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff about Blue Bombers coach Mike O’Shea during a visit with B.C. Lions play-by-play voice Bob Marjanovich at the Super Bowl this week in Las Vegas:

^^ Former Falcons GM believes there is at least SOME interest in Mike O'Shea among NFL GM's.... (as a DC or possibly more...) 

I’ve always liked Dimitroff and love that he pumps up the cfl… but I just don’t ever see this happening… O’Shea has zero experience in American football and has never been a DC at any level, never mind the highest level of football there is… I think it’s great that a CFL hall of fame player and future HoF coach is being talked about among nfl circles… but I think he’s here (cfl) for life. 

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

I don't consider what Friesen writes journalism.

Tired of talking about Friesen, we shouldn't waste any time on that here 😛 

So getting back to football ...  A right tackle replacement and also to see how the next up for Houston is. Those are the two priorities right now. I trust in McManus and company to fill some holes nicely (they have a good track record so why couldn't they?) 

Houston replacement already here in either Holm or Parker .as well as some interesting guys coming to camp

Kid from Hawaii prob get tons of reps and chance to pin down that RT position...and I can see if we re-up Gray he will be slotted there as well to compete...haven't looked at our signed guys for camp on online...know we brought Ivy back...tho don't recall what he looked like to be honest...but we carried him half the yr so musta been something we saw

Just now, Booch said:

Well right now we have Wilson and Biggie unde contract...Reupped Kramdi...so is that the plan? Truthfully would like to see 2 of that trio as rotation/backups at most...that be a weak trio ...one of weakest in league

I can't see Bighill playing past this season. Start grooming his replacement.

Just now, Nolby said:

I can't see Bighill playing past this season. Start grooming his replacement.

Yeah...I forgot we have Cole signed too...I'd like to see him at SAM....and with Biggie...I'd like to see him as the DA role Cole had...and also stick the Nationalized American tag on him...why Osh refuses to use that is baffling...as it hinders lineup flex...suck it up butter cup and use it...as it's not going away as much as he protests...which is basically what that is.

49 minutes ago, Booch said:

Houston replacement already here in either Holm or Parker .as well as some interesting guys coming to camp

Kid from Hawaii prob get tons of reps and chance to pin down that RT position...and I can see if we re-up Gray he will be slotted there as well to compete...haven't looked at our signed guys for camp on online...know we brought Ivy back...tho don't recall what he looked like to be honest...but we carried him half the yr so musta been something we saw

Eli? Forgot about him ...

7 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah, pro sports are cut throat. They aren't the 1st and won't be the last.

FUN FACT.

On this day in 2015 the 1st piece of the puzzle was officially signed. #66 the GOAT of Goats became a Winnipeg Blue Bomber.

love me some big Stan but I think the very first piece of the turnaround was the 2013 Alex Hall for Neufeld trade.

Hall put up seven sacks for the Roughriders in nineteen games.  In return, we got a Canadian OL starter for a decade.

I think that was Walters' first trade.  Nice debut.

Edited by johnzo

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

love me some big Stan but I think the very first piece of the turnaround was the 2013 Alex Hall for Neufeld trade.

Hall put up seven sacks for the Roughriders in nineteen games.  In return, we got a Canadian OL starter for a decade.

and an all-star to boot...and brings the nasty element

33 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Overpaying for Nic Moore that offseason was a big deal for the turnaround too.
He wasn’t the greatest or anything but it showed the club had changed mentality and was willing to open the wallet.

It was the first time in like a decade a sought-after FA didn’t turn them down. 

47 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Not everyone liked the trade at first. Hall won a Grey Cup and Neufeld was injured a fair bit at the start of his time with the Bombers.

I remember Paul Wiecek saying the Riders the won the trade then he blocks me on twitter when I questioned his accessment. (I might have also questioned his sanity).

1 hour ago, IC Khari said:

If this was 1981 we could make a trade for a young kid from Montreal, some greenhorn named “Walby”. Maybe he could play tackle 😉

I could be wrong and i am too lazy to look it up but i believe Walby was playing on the Dline in Montreal...what a trade.😊

Edited by bb1