2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Some think they know it all. Others know they don’t. Your opinion doesn’t mean ****, neither does mine. I accept that. Do you? 

Mike O'Shea has had roster building blind spots from day 1, to deny that is to deny reality. Does any other team dress players routinely who don't take a single snap anywhere on the field? That should tell you everything about the infallibility of the coaches roster decisions.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Missed it and can't find where the link is. What is the $ amount.

Not sure we've actually linked anything yet, here you go:

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/29/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-centre-chris-kolankowski-to-two-year-extension/

Per sources, Kolankowski will earn close to $140,000 in 2024 and around $150,000 in 2025 as part of his new deal. This is a significant raise over what he made in 2023, which came in just shy of $90,000.

7 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Not sure we've actually linked anything yet, here you go:

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/29/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-centre-chris-kolankowski-to-two-year-extension/

Per sources, Kolankowski will earn close to $140,000 in 2024 and around $150,000 in 2025 as part of his new deal. This is a significant raise over what he made in 2023, which came in just shy of $90,000.

140k is 6th OL money unless you go rookie at 6th. For a starting OC that is cheap.

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

In the same way Damian Jackson can play DE... ie. Not well.

Well Eli earned a starters spot, lost it, and has not got it back. 

This fall back on “MOS just falls in love with guys for no reason” as a mantra can’t  be used in every case. 

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

140k is 6th OL money unless you go rookie at 6th. For a starting OC that is cheap.

Some see it …some don’t. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

50k raise to the worst starter on our team when Brady and schoen are pending fas going to get a huge raise each. 

Yea...that's generally how it works when you play yourself into a better contract situation. He might be the worst starter on our team but he is middle of the pack in CFL centres and is not that bad. I would bet big money he is the cheapest Centre in the league even with his raise. 140k for a starting calibre NAT OL is pretty cheap. We will always have guys looking for raises coming off of low contracts. That's professional sports. Sorry but we have a ton of ways to free up money without having to be chintzy on the OL. That's the heart beat of our club.

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

140k and people are complaining? That's not a high contract.

I don’t think it’s the contract amount that is at issue, he was the least needed of our OL free agents. Eli is already on the roster and better at centre. With Bryant, Gray/Dobson, Eli, Neufeld and Hardrick/Richmond we have the best O-Line on the league and have better protection for Zach than we had before. That $50 or 60k over a rookie developmental is needed for other players. 

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Walters has said repeatedly this salary structure is based on position and where they are willing to allocate the money. 

Seems to have worked well. 

Early to tell this year, we haven’t had a significant raise like this since zachs contract after 2019. Maintaining on a team retaining most but not all players while still losing guys is different than retooling like we have to now. 50k is 50k, we need to be cutting the fat and saving not the opposite. 

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

cut the navy seal and presto

That’s a base American cut for a base American though. Makes us much better talent wise but doesn’t save us money. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Early to tell this year, we haven’t had a significant raise like this since zachs contract after 2019. Maintaining on a team retaining most but not all players while still losing guys is different than retooling like we have to now. 50k is 50k, we need to be cutting the fat and saving not the opposite. 

Wide receiver expenses have had big increases. 

ZC has taken a beating the last yr and for a good part of 2022....from being unscathed basically all his other time here...who was center when all that started?....a lot of issues from an O-line start from inside out, but may appear others are losing in their assignments....some here know what I talking about, and what is the common denominator in the poundings....

Stan-Dobson-Eli-Paddy-Yosh (Gray 6th/Rotational) is the OL I want to see. I understand that the Koala signing likely means some of those pieces are on the way out (unfortunately) but in a perfect world, that's the OL I want to see on the Bombers. Koala is not better than any of the listed, regardless of what the fancy stats people want to trumpet. 

also: 

Just now, Noeller said:

Stan-Dobson-Eli-Paddy-Yosh (Gray 6th/Rotational) is the OL I want to see. I understand that the Koala signing likely means some of those pieces are on the way out (unfortunately) but in a perfect world, that's the OL I want to see on the Bombers. Koala is not better than any of the listed, regardless of what the fancy stats people want to trumpet. 

Nor does his contact suggest he is.

Just now, GCn20 said:

Nor does his contact suggest he is.

that massive raise suggests he is better than his play would indicate. Again, giving a relatively massive raise to that guy when we're likely scrambling to find money for Schoen and Brady O seems like a humongous miss by Walters.......unless.... as has been mentioned......... some OL pieces (Yoshi/Gray) are gone and we were desperate. 

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That’s a base American cut for a base American though. Makes us much better talent wise but doesn’t save us money. 

Some players will get cuts, some will get raises. EVERY offseason FOREVER on EVERY team. bringing our current starting OC up to 6th OL/lowest paid at his position in the league does not scream needless spending to me.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

ZC has taken a beating the last yr and for a good part of 2022....from being unscathed basically all his other time here...who was center when all that started?....a lot of issues from an O-line start from inside out, but may appear others are losing in their assignments....some here know what I talking about, and what is the common denominator in the poundings....

Another common denominator is Brady taking over at running back for AH33. Harris was the ultimate checkdown and was used that way very frequently.