2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Legs shanked it & had it not been blocked he'd have missed. Duningan said that on TSN. He was there & saw the play. He had a better view than we did on tv. This, "it was blocked" is just a big excuse. Sorry, not sorry. 

Dunigan is a solid sneeze away from forgetting his name. You can’t judge a kick before it passes the line, especially if you have to kick around an un blocked guy. 
 lol blocked kick isn’t an excuse. Show me clips of guys left un blocked up the middle on plays where the kick makes it.  Blaming legs and not the whiff is insane. 

8 hours ago, Jesse said:

I didn't believe it, but I think I'm starting too. Still a lot of unsigned names. 

Walters either thinks there's a chance he can still sign the big two, or is going to be bringing a lot of new faces to camp (or both).

Feels like our defensive and line identity will change a lot. I think we might see some guys in other unis we wouldn’t expect too. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Bombers have to move on in some areas for SMS reasons. 

And age/performance reason too. Secondary has to get better. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

No way one team could do that, and not upset their apple cart and bastardize their line-up

That being said, if we were to lose those 3....trotting out at worst Bryant, Dobson, Eli, Neuf and Richmond as game one starters actually gives us likely an overall better....more nasty O-line than last yr, and we can sign in free agency another guy if we dont draft one to replace Kolo as the 6TH who is probably better and more versatile....so not too concerned there...That being said, not worried about Hardrick getting poached, and he's in no way shape or form considering retirement either

Hardrick and Gray won't be requiring huge boosts anyway to their salaries at this point....and any offer better than what our fair value would be isn't likely that big a gap regardless

Sure they could, all they'd have to do is cut the corresponding positional players after signing Bomber FA's and they'd be instantly better in most positions.  O'Day claims putting together an improved O-line is his main priority, so spending more/smarter money on the O-line shouldn't be a problem if it improves QB protection.   What better way to get ahead quickly than buying out a large chunk of a better teams O-line or an entire coaching staff!

Edited by Fatty Liver

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

I guess last thing regarding legs. 

why are we in position to need a 45 yard fg for the win anyways. Cuz the O sucked. Running grey cup theme the past 2 years. 

That is the last thing. Tell ya what, with that strange line of logic, I'll give you the last word. 

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Dunigan is a solid sneeze away from forgetting his name. You can’t judge a kick before it passes the line, especially if you have to kick around an un blocked guy. 
 lol blocked kick isn’t an excuse. Show me clips of guys left un blocked up the middle on plays where the kick makes it.  Blaming legs and not the whiff is insane. 

You can continue to defend a guy to the death that the team didn't want anyway. He's gone anyway. Thankfully.

On 1/28/2024 at 8:18 AM, 17to85 said:

Matt dunigan doesn't know that any more than we do. 

He probably watched it on a screen anyway. 

I am in the camp that says it was going to miss  (because of who is kicking the ball) - but it is impossible to know for sure where it would have ended up. 

Edited by Geebrr

31 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He probably watched it on a screen anyway. 

I am in the camp that says it was going to miss  (because of who is kicking the ball) - but it is impossible to know for sure where it would have ended up. 

Live is absolutely the best way to watch a football game, but if you want to see exactly what happened on a play, slo-mo TV replay is gonna give you the best look every time. There is absolutely no doubt that Dunigan was commenting based on exactly what we saw. If he was commenting on what he saw live from 60 yards away in the press box I doubt he would have any opinion at all as it would be impossible to tell from there.

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Feels like our defensive and line identity will change a lot. I think we might see some guys in other unis we wouldn’t expect too. 

And age/performance reason too. Secondary has to get better. 

There is absolutely no way of knowing whether the kick would have been good or not because it only travelled 4 yards. I can say this though, that 100% of kicks that are blocked do not end up going through the uprights. Therefore I agree with your opinion that it is insane to blame a kicker that had his kick blocked. Maybe he had lined it up right, maybe he didn't....that became completely irrelevant the second it was blocked as even the best kick in the world has no chance at that point.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Kowlanoski back on a 2 year deal. Hopefully it's as 6th OL.

I know continuity is huge when it comes to the offensive line but I'm a little disappointed with this.  

Now .. having said that .. Eli didn't exactly light the world on fire when he was giving his limited opportunities and that might be part of this.  However ... the interior of our line was a HUGE issue at times last year and that starts with who's lined up over the football.

Just now, voodoochylde said:

I know continuity is huge when it comes to the offensive line but I'm a little disappointed with this.  

Now .. having said that .. Eli didn't exactly light the world on fire when he was giving his limited opportunities and that might be part of this.  However ... the interior of our line was a HUGE issue at times last year and that starts with who's lined up over the football.

Not sure I agree entirely... Eli was a road grader and should be playing ahead of both kola and gray IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Wasn’t he pretty good last season? He’s actually gotten better and better every season as well..

Some bloggers pretending to be media will tell you he was, but he really wasn't. Anything special. He did good work as a fill in type centre, but his ceiling is pretty much limited to that.

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Not sure I agree entirely... Eli was a road grader and should be playing ahead of both kola and gray IMO. 

I'm not calling you out, but given the fact that he's hardly played and OL is almost impossible to judge from a fan perspective, what are you basing your opinion on?

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Have to be good at more than run blocking, pass protection and consistent ball snapping ability is probably more important.  

Edited by Fatty Liver

56 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Man, I kind of doubt it.

Not understanding this move...weakest of the bunch, and why block younger guys with a 31 yr old, unless they are saving bucks and are moving on from Gray,and putting ELI there with Dobson as the 6th?...Head scratcher as Eli is a better center than Guard, as well as better than Kolo....Or is this an Osh pining to his GM to lock up his fav's?...If Thomas is next...followed by Briggs...I gonna puke

Edited by Booch

Eli was very good at clobbering the guy infront of him, no doubt about it. Compared to Kola, Eli is enormous. I can understand the disappointment... even though I've been defending him all season, I'm also disappointed that Eli isn't moving on up as I had expected.

I'm left wondering... is it actually favoritism? Could it be that Eli is so far behind Kola in football IQ that his size and athleticism can't make up for it? Seems hard to believe, given the hype associated with Eli since before he was drafted... at this rate we may never find out how good Eli could be, they are both now signed through 2025...

42 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

He did at centre and in goal line packages. Take it with a bit of a grain of salt but he was our highest graded ok in the last like 2 months. 
 Our ol is flat out different with him in too. We don’t have a mauler inside with out him. If you try to twist across his face you’re gonna get dumped on your ass. Opposition dls and blitzers don’t fear going between the tackles when he isn’t in. 

29 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Have to be good at more than run blocking, pass protection and consistent ball snapping ability is probably more important.  

Snapping is critical but tbh both Eli and kola do it equally well. Pass pro as a C is about switches, pick ups, knowing who to help when etc and Eli is better at that. Kola rides his pre snap read into the dirt even if it ends up with empty hands and Zach laid out. He lacks the ability to make post snap adjustments especially physically. Kola has also been exposed against nose tackles. I really don’t think he will be at C long next year even if we breaks camp as starter. We are gonna see a lot of packages to exploit him on the nose. 

34 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I'm not calling you out, but given the fact that he's hardly played and OL is almost impossible to judge from a fan perspective, what are you basing your opinion on?

We actually run heavy set more than you’d think. The grading of a centre is about ability to read pre snap, set the line, adjust post snap personally and pick up blitzes stunts twists etc and start vs ending point when you do have a man. You might pick up a guy and keep him infront if you, but if he drives you back 3-4 yards that’s the best kind of pressure the dl can get with out hitting. It collapses the pocket and messes up throwing lanes in a big way. This was a big part of what made our D great with nose tackles like stove and drake nevis. You flush the qb into ends, and cut the field in half when you collapse the pocket from the nose. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Not understanding this move...weakest of the bunch, and why block younger guys with a 31 yr old, unless they are saving bucks and are moving on from Gray,and putting ELI there with Dobson as the 6th?...Head scratcher as Eli is a better center than Guard, as well as better than Kolo....Or is this an Osh pining to his GM to lock up his fav's?...If Thomas is next...followed by Briggs...I gonna puke

Only thing I can hope is he signed dirt cheap and will take any role needed. Not surprised s bit disappointed and worried.