2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

On 11/27/2023 at 7:52 AM, GCn20 said:

For sure. A couple years ago we had like 35 FA's after the season and by February we were down to 6.

I do expect more uncertainty this year though just from guys on the retirement fringe even. 

I think the early keys to the off season involve possibly replacing buck, doing the most to bring back lawler, schoen, Brady, and brown, and getting a real punter ideally a Canadian who can kick off too. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I do expect more uncertainty this year though just from guys on the retirement fringe even. 

I think the early keys to the off season involve possibly replacing buck, doing the most to bring back lawler, schoen, Brady, and brown, and getting a real punter ideally a Canadian who can kick off too. 

Lawler isn't a FA.

Organizational continuity is HUGE.

When you've been as successful as we have for as long as we have now, it's hard to keep all the key players in place.  People look for different challenges.  Pieces get picked up by other teams.  It starts to erode the very thing that helped you "get there".

Happy news on a Tuesday morning.

50 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

Bringing back Walters and the rest of the management group is huge. 

We will see if Buck ends up in Sask but that would be a big position to fill. There are not a lot of quality OCs in the league currently.

I look around the CFL right now and, in terms of vacancies, there are essentially no attractive options.  Sure, there's the opportunity to evolve yourself as a coach, get experience and perhaps build something.  That is *SO DAMN HARD* when you don't have a quarterback.   Stepping into a situation where that position is an unknown is not setting yourself up for success (or a long tenure as a head coach).

34 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

Bringing back Walters and the rest of the management group is huge. 

We will see if Buck ends up in Sask but that would be a big position to fill. There are not a lot of quality OCs in the league currently.

If it happens I think the short list is 1) costanza. He just re upped with the Argos but it’s a job promotion, could possibly be an ast hc too. Idk if he takes it or not. 
 2) Bourgoin with a qb coach. The likely pick, though he’d really need support from some one with more experience. 
 3) plop. 🤮 but he left for a hc gig and the boys love him. I don’t know if this is a nightmare situation or if he’s actually be able to tame Zach and get him running proper check downs. But I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

I dont see us being the team to go after an another teams guy who is a total out sider to the mafia like condell or Milanovich, or even a young up and comer. 
 My dark horses would be khari, which would likely be worse than plop he squeaks in due to tightness back in the day with wade. And 0.001% chance dark horse of June jones. He wants back in the cfl, not a lot of jobs open, I know he has a lot of respect from mos coaching against him. 

12 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Organizational continuity is HUGE.

When you've been as successful as we have for as long as we have now, it's hard to keep all the key players in place.  People look for different challenges.  Pieces get picked up by other teams.  It starts to erode the very thing that helped you "get there".

Happy news on a Tuesday morning.

I look around the CFL right now and, in terms of vacancies, there are essentially no attractive options.  Sure, there's the opportunity to evolve yourself as a coach, get experience and perhaps build something.  That is *SO DAMN HARD* when you don't have a quarterback.   Stepping into a situation where that position is an unknown is not setting yourself up for success (or a long tenure as a head coach).

That's the thing though. Very very very very rarely do you find a team that isn't in dire need of repair looking for a new HC. It wasn't like the Bombers were an attractive place when MOS came on board. This idea that these guys need to wait for a team that isn't a mess is a myth. Buck will essentially never leave then. Which maybe he wants, take over from MOS one day?...but if he doesn't want to wait. He's going to be walking into a mess. That will be his only option.

19 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I am guessing he feels his time is now for HC.

Unless he pulls out right away I think you have to be right. Mos has only been coaching a couple more years than buck over all. 
 I get that it’s a tough thing to strike when the iron is hot and you know you’re going to start with a bad team. I don’t think buck is ready though. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Costanza back to be OC 

Can't stands ya... sorry every time I see the name that's where my mind goes.

37 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

3) plop. 🤮 but he left for a hc gig and the boys love him. I don’t know if this is a nightmare situation or if he’s actually be able to tame Zach and get him running proper check downs. But I wouldn’t hold my breath

Mark my words plop and collaros is a disaster waiting to happen. Lapo has a habit of getting qbs killed.

31 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's the thing though. Very very very very rarely do you find a team that isn't in dire need of repair looking for a new HC. It wasn't like the Bombers were an attractive place when MOS came on board. This idea that these guys need to wait for a team that isn't a mess is a myth. Buck will essentially never leave then. Which maybe he wants, take over from MOS one day?...but if he doesn't want to wait. He's going to be walking into a mess. That will be his only option.

I hear what you’re saying, but there’s going to a mess…. And there’s going to a mess in Saskatchewan.

Only way I see Buck accepting the Sask gig is that he leaves family put here, and family is ok with that...lot of a big if there, and I also think he is smart enough to not grab a position where it could be an utter tire fire still for likely a few yrs...and possibly ruining any chance again down the road elsewhere ....Like what is currently happening to Dyce in Ottawa and Lapo there before him....Sask has a lot...like a lot of work to do to turn that around...total roster overhaul....will be an all new coachig staff most likely as any new guy likely doesn't want the crap that was there.

A new HC dropped in there is not gonna turn that around any time soon...Plus there is still the Oday factor....that guy is prob the worst GM in the league

I not too concerned tho about replacing a OC if we have to, there is a few options in-house, as well as quality guys we could either poach with an upgrade to title/pay and a few who are currently employed...You have to remember playbook stays here....sure Buck can take his philosophies and ideas with him, but thats nature of game anyway.

I want an OC with the right mindset, and thought process....the plays themselves are irrelevant in grand scheme as all teams run same stuff with wrinkles to suit the players they have, and the mindset of the HC and the Oc

13 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I'm very glad Walters and company are back.

I guess all of that house hunting in Hamilton during Grey Cup was enough for Walters to decide "what the hell was I thinking...I better unplug from JBR and stay in Winnipeg".....

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I guess all of that house hunting in Hamilton during Grey Cup was enough for Walters to decide "what the hell was I thinking...I better unplug from JBR and stay in Winnipeg".....

yup...ease on outta there and focus on 2024 and Grey Cup 2025 in our barn with us in it...Next season and the minor turn over required and some change in roster limitations will go a long way in ensuring we are in that game

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Unless he pulls out right away I think you have to be right. Mos has only been coaching a couple more years than buck over all. 
 I get that it’s a tough thing to strike when the iron is hot and you know you’re going to start with a bad team. I don’t think buck is ready though. 

I'm not sure if he's ready or not, but I believe he believes he is ready and it seems he may have convinced the Riders of it. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

If it happens I think the short list is 1) costanza. He just re upped with the Argos but it’s a job promotion, could possibly be an ast hc too. Idk if he takes it or not. 
 2) Bourgoin with a qb coach. The likely pick, though he’d really need support from some one with more experience. 
 3) plop. 🤮 but he left for a hc gig and the boys love him. I don’t know if this is a nightmare situation or if he’s actually be able to tame Zach and get him running proper check downs. But I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

I dont see us being the team to go after an another teams guy who is a total out sider to the mafia like condell or Milanovich, or even a young up and comer. 
 My dark horses would be khari, which would likely be worse than plop he squeaks in due to tightness back in the day with wade. And 0.001% chance dark horse of June jones. He wants back in the cfl, not a lot of jobs open, I know he has a lot of respect from mos coaching against him. 

The good news about re-signing our entire managment staff is that it likely leaves us short on dollars for a PLOP return if Buck goes.

1 hour ago, greenrider55 said:

Good for Walters & co. Danny Mac can continue to do remote work from Florida! 

Iirc he comes out for part of camp, but that guy has made pro football life really work well for him in the front office. 
 Happy the big 3 are back. Hopefully they will bring the change needed. 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I'm not sure if he's ready or not, but I believe he believes he is ready and it seems he may have convinced the Riders of it. 

The good news about re-signing our entire managment staff is that it likely leaves us short on dollars for a PLOP return if Buck goes.

True, they must’ve pretty much agreed to split what was available. Great for us. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Iirc he comes out for part of camp, but that guy has made pro football life really work well for him in the front office. 
 Happy the big 3 are back. Hopefully they will bring the change needed. 

True, they must’ve pretty much agreed to split what was available. Great for us. 

Maybe Osh renegotiated a revised deal to keep the band together, following the lead of some his vets??...lol.....would be the ultimate show of the culture here and who leads by example....no???

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Maybe Osh renegotiated a revised deal to keep the band together, following the lead of some his vets??...lol.....would be the ultimate show of the culture here and who leads by example....no???

Honestly, I was kind of shocked when it was announced that MOS got his raise last year for that reason, so I wouldn't put it past him.