2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

Holm is not a real explosive player, which is why booch is not as high on him as others. Guy likes his explosive players. Personally I think Holm brings a lotnof good things, but physicality isn't really one of them and that is what I think prevents him from being a guy with NFL interest.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Holm is not a real explosive player, which is why booch is not as high on him as others. Guy likes his explosive players. Personally I think Holm brings a lotnof good things, but physicality isn't really one of them and that is what I think prevents him from being a guy with NFL interest.

Like I said...utilize what he does best....playing off and ability to close, and put that at safety, as then he would be getting picks, instead of tackles after the catch or the knockdowns when he really gets the jump...thats where he would be best served moving forward...we don't need a sledge hammer there....especially if we get some muscle back up the middle, and some HB's with physicality, and ability to jam and disrupt routes, and whallop guys when the whalloping is there. We rely too much on letting plays unfold under neath and moving up to it....If we alter a philosophy a bit, and force teams to have to push down field...Ol fancy feet would prob have double digits in picks coming from depth over the top..especially if he has good eyes...yr 3 next yr he should now

Holm will get a workout invite. He got 2 post UND without this cfl film. The better thing to question would be whether he actually gets signed. I also think they’ll have him at safety not corner. 

Brady, while I would love to see him get his bag in the nfl, is a dime a dozen down here and never had nfl interest. Hoping he gets a workout if he wants one, but he might be a cfl for lifer. Regardless, I’ll continue to rep his UND jersey wherever he plays. Just a ******* dog. It would also be interesting to see how he does behind a different O line situation. 

gotta add here: we have to pick up mason Bennett this season. Another great UND guy. dudes a stud. Rescue him from the slums of Hamilton. 

Edited by Bombertown

39 minutes ago, Bombertown said:

Holm will get a workout invite. He got 2 post UND without this cfl film. The better thing to question would be whether he actually gets signed. I also think they’ll have him at safety not corner. 

Brady, while I would love to see him get his bag in the nfl, is a dime a dozen down here and never had nfl interest. Hoping he gets a workout if he wants one, but he might be a cfl for lifer. Regardless, I’ll continue to rep his UND jersey wherever he plays. Just a ******* dog. It would also be interesting to see how he does behind a different O line situation. 

gotta add here: we have to pick up mason Bennett this season. Another great UND guy. dudes a stud. Rescue him from the slums of Hamilton. 

And nothing wrong with being a CFL lifer. Some have carved out nice careers over the years. The it happens for BO, he could see his name put up in the rafters.

Just now, bustamente said:

Anthony Bennett could be Walters worst ever pick so early in the draft, he contributed absolutely nothing to the Bombers this year and at his age in all probability wont be improving going forward.

yup...that one made no sense...would prob been there for pick 2 if we wanted hi that bad.....not sure who was on board still before that pick but I am sure there was someone who would have been very productive on the roster, and more upside...I just too lazy to go look

3 hours ago, Booch said:

BO is the easiest of easy to replace, and we don't "have" to have him for the ratio...That being said I hope we lock him up...and doubt he garners any serious NFL interest worth wasting 5 months trying for

I'd be utterly shocked...He has no chance in hell for that..

Logan would be unreal here

and not nearly physical enough....and sounding like me aint such a bad thing u know hahaha

and more size/stature...and not talking about height

Alford was exceptional...and physical...Holm iis neither..he's very good, but also weak

Ford and Alford had physicality to them...and are better tacklers...also stronger....and I't not just a skinny thing I was harping at...It's strength and power....most you prob wont believe it but Grant..all 175 pounds of him in terms of strength and power is one of strongest guys on team...he easily reps 350 pounds on the bench press..He out lifted lots of Lineman for reps on the 225

Grant is a beast. One of his college team mates at one point said he had the biggest squat on the team lol. 
 Physicality could be an issue but you never know. Stranger guys are in the nfl. Teams could look at him as a package nickel vs speed teams like Miami. 
 I’d say Brady has a 5% chance of getting a tc invite, and holm maybe 20%. 
 Brady if he can get it more power to him. I love the guy and want to see him succeed as much as possible. 

Rb is always the easiest gap to fill. We could bring in some big power back or a balanced. Probably 15+ guys about to shake loose from the 2020 NCAA crop all of whom could start in the cfl, and would be a force behind our ol. A guy like lew Nichols, or Bryant Koback. 

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Anthony Bennett could be Walters worst ever pick so early in the draft, he contributed absolutely nothing to the Bombers this year and at his age in all probability wont be improving going forward.

Nah. His pre mafia era picks weren’t good, people will blame joe Mack but joe didn’t know jack about the draft. I’m sure those where walters picks. 
 Also, faith ekakitie. Bennett is better than faith. 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Grant is a beast. One of his college team mates at one point said he had the biggest squat on the team lol. 
 Physicality could be an issue but you never know. Stranger guys are in the nfl. Teams could look at him as a package nickel vs speed teams like Miami. 
 I’d say Brady has a 5% chance of getting a tc invite, and holm maybe 20%. 
 Brady if he can get it more power to him. I love the guy and want to see him succeed as much as possible. 

Rb is always the easiest gap to fill. We could bring in some big power back or a balanced. Probably 15+ guys about to shake loose from the 2020 NCAA crop all of whom could start in the cfl, and would be a force behind our ol. A guy like lew Nichols, or Bryant Koback. 

Nah. His pre mafia era picks weren’t good, people will blame joe Mack but joe didn’t know jack about the draft. I’m sure those where walters picks. 
 Also, faith ekakitie. Bennett is better than faith. 

The first draft Walters ran was 2014.  2013 he was Director of Canadian Scouting.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The first draft Walters ran was 2014.  2013 he was Director of Canadian Scouting.

Yea, but like I said Mack wasn’t doing jack with the draft it was all walters. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

He is absolutely explosive as a run jump athlete. He and Parker have the best first step in our secondary by a lot. 

5 hours ago, Booch said:

BO is the easiest of easy to replace, and we don't "have" to have him for the ratio...That being said I hope we lock him up...and doubt he garners any serious NFL interest worth wasting 5 months trying for

I'd be utterly shocked...He has no chance in hell for that..

Logan would be unreal here

and not nearly physical enough....and sounding like me aint such a bad thing u know hahaha

and more size/stature...and not talking about height

Alford was exceptional...and physical...Holm iis neither..he's very good, but also weak

Ford and Alford had physicality to them...and are better tacklers...also stronger....and I't not just a skinny thing I was harping at...It's strength and power....most you prob wont believe it but Grant..all 175 pounds of him in terms of strength and power is one of strongest guys on team...he easily reps 350 pounds on the bench press..He out lifted lots of Lineman for reps on the 225

Thanks for making my point ,Booch.  I don't always have the time to elaborate more. Some exclellent insights made again.

I still stand by my earlier statement , Osh needs to go ,and take his faves along with him. Period. The same crap will happen next year ,if the new GM wont step in and step on his toes more. Thats is ,if Walters doesn't resign ,not looking likely. Danny Mac? Buck as HC? Hall can retire as well IMO. 

12 hours ago, Piggy 1 said:

Thanks for making my point ,Booch.  I don't always have the time to elaborate more. Some exclellent insights made again.

I still stand by my earlier statement , Osh needs to go ,and take his faves along with him. Period. The same crap will happen next year ,if the new GM wont step in and step on his toes more. Thats is ,if Walters doesn't resign ,not looking likely. Danny Mac? Buck as HC? Hall can retire as well IMO. 

I've heard a lot dumb ass **** over the past week. But getting rid of the HC that has led the team to 4 straight GCs. And helped them become the winningest team since 2016 is definitely the dumbest.

IMO our biggest weakness and possible a solid contributor that led to us losing the GC was lack of rotation and talent in the front 7....Jeffcoat is great but another year older and never fully healthy...Thomas although he actually may have been the best D-lineman we had in the GC is long in the tooth, Lawson looks good, Walker developed nicely, Bennet did nothing good enough to be kept around IMO, Hanson didn't do much, but came off a big injury. Maybe Habba can replace Jeffcoat and open up some money? Maybe Fox can be fit into the roster next year and Lawson can be used on certain packages. Maybe we can get Mason Bennet, Biggie love the guy but I would imagine his role should start to be diminished. Wilson had an on and off year, what will his cost be, can we replace that? Kramdi emerged and gives us flexibility with the ratio. So I see some changes here and of course as always money plays into it.

Receiver is another interesting position, Lawler and Demski is a great start. IMO we need to do everything we can to keep Schoen, BOO maybe he is ready to replace Woli, does Bailey agree to another discount?

Whether Grant is back or not we need a few "real" returners in camp and on the PR at worst as we can't go through the lack of production, we went through losing him again we did this past season.

I think we will sign enough to be solid along the O-line again.

Holm if he is here next year at safety sounds intriguing. Nothing against Alexander but again age is catching up, and the league seems to be moving away from the hard hitters at safety.

Another big question and it is a left field one for me....do we consider Brown as a legit starter...what could we get in return for Zach, and how much could we save for a season or two to "beef" up our roster elsewhere?

8 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

IMO our biggest weakness and possible a solid contributor that led to us losing the GC was lack of rotation and talent in the front 7....Jeffcoat is great but another year older and never fully healthy...Thomas although he actually may have been the best D-lineman we had in the GC is long in the tooth, Lawson looks good, Walker developed nicely, Bennet did nothing good enough to be kept around IMO, Hanson didn't do much, but came off a big injury. Maybe Habba can replace Jeffcoat and open up some money? Maybe Fox can be fit into the roster next year and Lawson can be used on certain packages. Maybe we can get Mason Bennet, Biggie love the guy but I would imagine his role should start to be diminished. Wilson had an on and off year, what will his cost be, can we replace that? Kramdi emerged and gives us flexibility with the ratio. So I see some changes here and of course as always money plays into it.

Receiver is another interesting position, Lawler and Demski is a great start. IMO we need to do everything we can to keep Schoen, BOO maybe he is ready to replace Woli, does Bailey agree to another discount?

Whether Grant is back or not we need a few "real" returners in camp and on the PR at worst as we can't go through the lack of production, we went through losing him again we did this past season.

Holm if he is here next year at safety sounds intriguing. Nothing against Alexander but again age is catching up, and the league seems to be moving away from the hard hitters at safety.

Another big question and it is a left field one for me....do we consider Brown as a legit starter...what could we get in return for Zach, and how much could we save for a season or two to "beef" up our roster elsewhere?

1. I do. I see it as either a year or 2 of post-peak Collaros or 5-10 of Dru Brown, who I think will be top tier.

2. A high draft pick, plus maybe another later pick or an impact starter. 

3. Probably save at least 200k the first year. I wouldn’t see Brown making more than 300. 

31 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

There's some good thinking in here.  Durability becomes an issue and we have a lot of guys who have had serious injuries, or the kind that never really get back close to 100%.  Also age.

Bighill, Jeffcoat, Alexander, Grant, most of the receivers on this current team.  Jefferson has always been his best when he's playing about 2/3 of snaps.

As others have mentioned, this is kind of a determine who your core is for the 2025 run kind of off-season IMO.

13 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I clearly remember video footage of drafts from that era - Mack was clearly in charge

I will agree that he didn't 'know jack' about the draft

Yeah Walters had no involvement until 2013, and all he provided was scouting.  He didn't make picks.

18 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

1. I do. I see it as either a year or 2 of post-peak Collaros or 5-10 of Dru Brown, who I think will be top tier.

2. A high draft pick, plus maybe another later pick or an impact starter. 

3. Probably save at least 200k the first year. I wouldn’t see Brown making more than 300. 

Could easily be 2+ years of a  top tier starter in Collaros or 2 years of rotating between Brown and Prukop because both struggle so badly in a starter role.

We need to roster and find 2 legit DT's to rotate with Lawson to become a force again on defence and take the load off the Jeff's, and have them run with legit rotational piece as well. Bring back Fox and Walker and several guys to compete for the DT roles...rewards...has to be earned...keep the best 2 for roster....3rd goes PR....same to be said with the ends.....you roster the Jeff's and an additional guy, be it Hba..Garbut...Or a new find/FA pickup, and with Hansen who 2 yrs removed from Achilles should be back to what he was, especially with the low miles on him for a guy of his age, and we need to land Bennett, and or Kongbo to supplement the rotation

If we can run with the Jeff's, and a rotation guy....Lawson and a import DT...who has a rotation sub (Like when we used Neves and Stove) as well as Hansen and Bennett (the good Benett) or kongbo we should be pretty damn stout upfront

Wilson also played well as season went on, and another yr removed from surgery should be ok....but competition needs to be brought on there also, Clements and Cole look to be legit starters for next yr, both young and right in prime and both are versatile enough to be used in several ways....but we need to treat LB like we did with DB's before and bring in a boatload...we have stood pat now for 4 yrs...time to turn the page.

I would only bring Biggie back on a reduced deal, and to do what the "supposed plan" was with him for Grey Cup....But do it healthy not on one leg...if he declines that option, then we have to cut bait, and then all his salary can go to shoring up elsewhere

I'd keep Holm...Nichols..Parker...Houston...Lawrence...Rose BA for sure to battle with some young...aggressive DB prospects and like mentioned earlier....best man who earned the job, and allows us to play multiple styles of defence are rostered.....Ideally I would like to see us work on extending Ford and giving him every chance to take the one corner position and flip the SAM back to an import spot with a dynamic impact guy there....adequate Kramdi is what he is, and adequate ain't what we need...We should run Holm boy at safety and work out from there filling in inside out..Nichols is a slam dunk and I like to see Parker at HB...he is a star in the making....Ford at the corner and a legit major battle for the other corner....may the best man win...like literally this yr....

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah Walters had no involvement until 2013, and all he provided was scouting.  He didn't make picks.

I believe the original point about Walters in those early drafts was that, even though Mack was in charge and made the picks, he had little interest in the Canadian draft and relied solely on Walters' scouting reports.

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I believe the original point about Walters in those early drafts was that, even though Mack was in charge and made the picks, he had little interest in the Canadian draft and relied solely on Walters' scouting reports.

Yeah and it's wrong.  My point.

There was one off-season where Walters and Mack worked together in front office.  July of that season Mack was fired.  Mack's AGM from 10-12 was a guy named Ken Moll.  They had basically no scouting infrastructure in place for U Sports or CJFL, 100% relied on combine.