Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

16 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ultimately all the teams we compete against are going through the same issue so there's no advantage to anyone.  They are all mining the same talent pool of guys willing to come up.

Feel that this year there was very little effort paid to development which bites short and long-term in this sport.  That churn needs to be continuous.  Saw several circumstances this year where there simply was no one ready to replace an injured player so we didn't replace them.  Like when Grant was out and we had no one that could reasonably even catch a punt safely.  

I agree. We were way to focused on win now above all else. We should have kept Pigrome around although its hard to fault the performance that Prukop had in the Grey Cup. He was amazing in his role. I think we need to put just as much energy into winning in 2025 this offseason as we put into winning in 2024. Now is the time to go a bit younger. Even if we moved on from Bighill, Jeffcoat and the two tackles we could easily be very competitive next season. 

Not that it would make a lick of difference but if we wanted to prepare a couple questions/statements, I’d be willing to call in to cjob tonight. 

10 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I agree. We were way to focused on win now above all else. We should have kept Pigrome around although its hard to fault the performance that Prukop had in the Grey Cup. He was amazing in his role. I think we need to put just as much energy into winning in 2025 this offseason as we put into winning in 2024. Now is the time to go a bit younger. Even if we moved on from Bighill, Jeffcoat and the two tackles we could easily be very competitive next season. 

Pigrome? Nah, he wouldn’t have done anything different. 

Agreed the focus needs to be 2025 

Also, I gotta go back to the punting. How in gods name did they roll with Sheehan and his crappy gimmick all year? 

We were somewhat fortunate that we had a core group of guys that wanted to stick together for 4 years. We lost the last 2 Grey Cups which is shitty. I honestly think the coaching staff has gotten a bit too unimaginative and overconfident, thinking that if we just show up and do our thing then we win. And they were almost right. But it has cost us this time around. We need to find that edge again. 

35 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Pigrome was awful for Ottawa.  Don't really see him as a prospect in this league at all.

If anything might have conditioned Dru Brown more to that short yardage role so you could use his arm to having an actual threat on the field.

39 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Not that it would make a lick of difference but if we wanted to prepare a couple questions/statements, I’d be willing to call in to cjob tonight. 

Pigrome? Nah, he wouldn’t have done anything different. 

Agreed the focus needs to be 2025 

Also, I gotta go back to the punting. How in gods name did they roll with Sheehan and his crappy gimmick all year? 

I have to admit I was unimpressed by Sheahan's punting this past season. Sure his average was OK (46.2 yards) but it seemed like he and the rest of the punting team were not on the same page a lot of the time resulting in good returns because our cover guys weren't in their correct lanes/spaces or were too far upfield. It would be interesting to know the net yards on his punts. I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyone got an answer?

28 minutes ago, BBlink said:

We were somewhat fortunate that we had a core group of guys that wanted to stick together for 4 years. We lost the last 2 Grey Cups which is shitty. I honestly think the coaching staff has gotten a bit too unimaginative and overconfident, thinking that if we just show up and do our thing then we win. And they were almost right. But it has cost us this time around. We need to find that edge again. 

That last play before the 3 minute warning it was a first down play. Everyone in the building knew we were going to run the ball. I thought that would have been a great time to catch Montreal off guard with a passing play and seal the victory. There was very little downside because the three minute warning was going to stop the clock regardless. 

9 minutes ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

I have to admit I was unimpressed by Sheahan's punting this past season. Sure his average was OK (46.2 yards) but it seemed like he and the rest of the punting team were not on the same page a lot of the time resulting in good returns because our cover guys weren't in their correct lanes/spaces or were too far upfield. It would be interesting to know the net yards on his punts. I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyone got an answer?

he still out punted the Montreal guy, who badly shanked two punts, including the last one that set us up on the 50 yard line with 3 minutes left and SHOULD have led to at least a FG and the Als with almost no time left on the clock.  But here we are.  If Sheahan had choked the way the Montreal guy did yeah I'd want his head.  I don't mind him.

This is why I hate sports media. On CJOB this afternoon, Jim Toth:

"You put Bighill out there, even at 70/80/90% because he is your best option. Does Gauthier break up that touchdown pass? No chance".

* 30 seconds later *

"Gauthier had a great game. This is like a Harris - Olivera situation; move on from Bighill because Gauthier is ready"

I don't even know where to start with any of that.

5 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

"You put Bighill out there, even at 70/80/90% because he is your best option. Does Gauthier break up that touchdown pass? No chance".

* 30 seconds later *

"Gauthier had a great game. This is like a Harris - Olivera situation; move on from Bighill because Gauthier is ready"

Forget Gauthier. The real question should have been would Wilson or Clements or Cole have broken up that pass? Maybe. Gauthier can remain a teamer and occasional rotational guy thanks. 

40 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

he still out punted the Montreal guy, who badly shanked two punts, including the last one that set us up on the 50 yard line with 3 minutes left and SHOULD have led to at least a FG and the Als with almost no time left on the clock.  But here we are.  If Sheahan had choked the way the Montreal guy did yeah I'd want his head.  I don't mind him.

Oh, I agree that he out-punted their Aussie Rules Football guy yesterday. (What is it with this sudden infatuation with Australian punters? Global player rule?) All I was implying was that I wasn't impressed with his season's body of work and was hoping to find out some stats on net punt returns.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Pigrome was awful for Ottawa.  Don't really see him as a prospect in this league at all.

If anything might have conditioned Dru Brown more to that short yardage role so you could use his arm to having an actual threat on the field.

DP had an exceptional game yesterday. Did everything asked of him and more. Props to him knowing what his role was and executing almost perfectly.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

That last play before the 3 minute warning it was a first down play. Everyone in the building knew we were going to run the ball. I thought that would have been a great time to catch Montreal off guard with a passing play and seal the victory. There was very little downside because the three minute warning was going to stop the clock regardless. 

I was thinking about the same play. Agree 110 percent. We had very few tendency breaker plays

25 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

DP had an exceptional game yesterday. Did everything asked of him and more. Props to him knowing what his role was and executing almost perfectly.

yes, no shotgun formations, no deciding to throw instead of plunge forward.  There were many things I was upset about yesterday but at least it appeared that the Bombers DID learn something from 2022 when it came to QB sneaks and just sticking with the plan and not deviating from it.

6 hours ago, Booch said:

BA would be the perfect DA who could slot in at safety..SAM...corner and still plays great teams.

Holm should be our safety next yr as we don't need a big bopper there, and we focus on HB who are physical, and can play up and disrupt receivers as well as run with them and cover....we play to soft, and when it gets to crunch time more often than not it kills us as we get nickle and dimed down a feild....

We don't need a plethora of guys who excel playing off and seem like good guys at closing in on a pass to stop progress...we need more guys who are there to actually limit the receptions in the first place

and the bolded is key...its what has occured 2 yrs running now...and hmmmmm0-2 in last 2 grey cups

Ba as a da/naturalized would be brilliant. 

Id be good with either holm or Cole. I might have both fight it out for S. Cole at wil is good too but I don’t think he needs a tc at wil. But haven’t both at S in camp would give us a good back up, and a scary scary package. Putting both with ba in 3 deep look would be nasty. 

People constantly harp on talent, but man we have brought in talent. Just like how people used to blame wr talent. I’m worried for next year tbh. It’s gonna be a long time before we get an idea of if change is coming. 

17 hours ago, Booch said:

Marine didnt help us...not one bit...But Fox..Haba...Rose...even an Ambles would have helped us

Yeah, so we’re playing a very obviously compromised Schoen over healthy options like O’Leary orange or Ambles.

Go read the Winnipeg free press today and look for the quote where Schoen  essentially says, “I can’t think of any other coach who would put someone who’s hurt in for a championship game after six weeks of no practice”.

yeah, Dalton, neither can I.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

* 30 seconds later *

Clements or Cole do tho...Cole even likely a chance to pick it

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Ba as a da/naturalized would be brilliant. 

Id be good with either holm or Cole. I might have both fight it out for S. Cole at wil is good too but I don’t think he needs a tc at wil. But haven’t both at S in camp would give us a good back up, and a scary scary package. Putting both with ba in 3 deep look would be nasty. 

People constantly harp on talent, but man we have brought in talent. Just like how people used to blame wr talent. I’m worried for next year tbh. It’s gonna be a long time before we get an idea of if change is coming. 

yup....too bad our coach is such a stubborn egomaniac he won't use that rue, or make the obvious changes/tough changes

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

we'll know what's up with the GM in the next week and a bit, and then we'll start hearing about retirements I'd bet.... we'll start getting a better idea of the big picture before the end of this month. 

That’d be nice. 

also, we need to sign Shawn oakman. Like, reeaalllllyyyy. Him next to Lawson with wj and jj would be impossible to defend. 

2 minutes ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Yeah, so we’re playing a very obviously compromised Schoen over healthy options like O’Leary orange or Ambles.

Go read the Winnipeg free press today and look for the quote where Schoen  essentially says, “I can’t think of any other coach who would put someone who’s hurt in for a championship game after six weeks of no practice”.

yeah, Dalton, neither can I.

You missed the key part at the end where he says he has so much respect for Osh for giving him that chance....

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

* 30 seconds later *

Insane. And gauthier played better in the gc than biggie played all year. Big props to him. I don’t think that means he’s ready to start or will become a starter. But he’s a hell of a contributor and competitor and a guy that certainly needs to come back.  

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You missed the key part at the end where he says he has so much respect for Osh for giving him that chance....

Athletes always want the chance. Coaches job is to save the athlete and team from that desire.  Every guy on the team would want the ball in their hands with the game on the line. But most would be a bad fit for it. 

Just now, Noeller said:

we'll know what's up with the GM in the next week and a bit, and then we'll start hearing about retirements I'd bet.... we'll start getting a better idea of the big picture before the end of this month. 

not sure why u so hung up on retirements...the only ones I can see as a likely, amd that will be due to the team telling them they are going to move on is Miller..Briggs and Thomas....Bryant is a strong maybe, and bet he would have if we won....36 yr old Bryant is better than 90 percent of Left Tackles in the league...No way Hardrick...Neuf....and anyone else will be...and why would they?

Bighill will be the tough one tho....He is a battler and warrior and may not feel he is done...and someone will pay him....that being said, he has a well established off-season...and in sesson gig, so he may entertain the idea of a role player at a greatly reduced price, and with also being Nationalized American eligible would be a good backup...teams guy, where less wear and tear occurs on him, and his experience be invaluable

Other than that don't be expecting all these retirements coming

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

whats he supposed to say,."that was a dumb move"...even tho it was...Schoen basically said without saying it..."thanks for putting me in even tho i was not healthy or prepared"

Just now, Noeller said:

I guess Jeff Hamilton said he overheard that there's a bunch that have been known about in the room for awhile, but he didn't get specifics on WHO exactly, but they're coming...

yeah..Miller...thomas...Briggs....Briggs was already contemplating it for this yr...and u think anyone in "the room" would tell Hamilton...or any scribe that?....doubt it