1st Round Of Playoffs: Division Semi-Finals Week

Noeller

World Curling Tour is serious business. Most of the international teams are paid by their government to do it full time. Canadians are MOSTLY full timers but some have part time jobs like realtors or personal trainers. But ya it's a REALLY big deal.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

World Curling Tour is serious business. Most of the international teams are paid by their government to do it full time. Canadians are MOSTLY full timers but some have part time jobs like realtors or personal trainers. But ya it's a REALLY big deal.

You know, I've got a real soft spot for Canadian professional curling – the strategy, the precision, it's all just so elegantly beautiful. But I can't help but worry about whether the sport will continue to capture the hearts of future generations. We've got to make sure this piece of Canadian culture endures somehow. Curling and the CFL, they're both truly great Canadian cultural landmarks that we must preserve, lest we become fully Americanized.

12 hours ago, Piggy 1 said:

Nope, just playoffs ,and some NFL. Once CFL is done, I'm in full NFL mode.  Bacon's gotta be made.

I can’t catch them all because life and stuff. But I always watch some of the later games after I put the kiddos to bed. It’s just something to do, lol.

57 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Offseason is long enough without skipping games and NFL just isn't anywhere as fun

Yeah, the offseason is SO LONG, I can't imagine missing a game when the season comes around. And that's ALL games, not just Bombes. NFL sucks, the NHL is just too big of a league to follow, with way too many games.... curling gets me through the offseason, but once April rolls around, I'm so ready for CFL news to come back around. I PVR every Bomber game during the season, keep the wins, and rewatch those throughout the offseason to get me through. Thank goodness for technology...

12 hours ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

You know, I've got a real soft spot for Canadian professional curling – the strategy, the precision, it's all just so elegantly beautiful. But I can't help but worry about whether the sport will continue to capture the hearts of future generations. We've got to make sure this piece of Canadian culture endures somehow. Curling and the CFL, they're both truly great Canadian cultural landmarks that we must preserve, lest we become fully Americanized.

You obviously don't live in Manitoba. There is no danger of curling dying.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

It's rare that I miss a game. It takes something momentous like birthdays weddings or concert tickets to make me miss a game. Offseason is long enough without skipping games and NFL just isn't anywhere as fun

I love the NFL....but I hate watching it. Too long between plays.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

You obviously don't live in Manitoba. There is no danger of curling dying.

I love the NFL....but I hate watching it. Too long between plays.

Listen here Sonny Boy, I was a resident of Manitoba for more than five decades, and during that time, I didn't see curling gather many new enthusiasts. The true hub for curling fandom in Manitoba, I must say, resides within our personal care homes, where the seniors have a genuine love for the sport.

7 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Listen here Sonny Boy, I was a resident of Manitoba for more than five decades, and during that time, I didn't see curling gather many new enthusiasts. The true hub for curling fandom in Manitoba, I must say, resides within our personal care homes, where the seniors have a genuine love for the sport.

Listen here sonny boy, I am a board member at my local curling club, a former board member of the MCA, and membership is still very strong and junior membership have never been higher. You are talking out your ass on this one at least as far as Manitoba goes.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, the offseason is SO LONG, I can't imagine missing a game when the season comes around. And that's ALL games, not just Bombes. NFL sucks, the NHL is just too big of a league to follow, with way too many games.... curling gets me through the offseason, but once April rolls around, I'm so ready for CFL news to come back around. I PVR every Bomber game during the season, keep the wins, and rewatch those throughout the offseason to get me through. Thank goodness for technology...

PVRs were a game changer!

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Listen here sonny boy, I am a board member at my local curling club, a former board member of the MCA, and membership and junior membership have never been higher. You are talking out your ass.

If you can't back up your claims with some concrete evidence, it sounds like you're just blowing hot air too. It shouldn't be too difficult to show some receipts if you're not exaggerating your position.

7 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

No it's seen an uptick in younger crowds lately. Not as big as it was in early 90s but it's slowly coming back. Who knows if that will be sustained enough to actually grow the game again, but i do see more and more colleagues getting into it. I grew up at the clubs, my dad was president of one and my brother has gone to the Brier a few times so I saw a lot of it back in the day....never was my thing, but I enjoy the odd game here and there. 

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Listen here sonny boy, I am a board member at my local curling club, a former board member of the MCA, and membership and junior membership have never been higher. You are talking out your ass.

Sonny Boy....wasn't that a porridge back in the day....lol...IF you are from the prairies curling is brought to you early from grade school on up.....Everybody loves curling no matter how old you are...So there's that

Edited by Stickem

Just now, Pepper_Brooks said:

If you can't back up your claims with some concrete evidence, it sounds like you're just blowing hot air too. It shouldn't be too difficult to show some receipts if you're not exaggerating your position.

LMAO....doubling down on a feeling you have. 

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

No it's seen an uptick in younger crowds lately. Not as big as it was in early 90s but it's slowly coming back. Who knows if that will be sustained enough to actually grow the game again, but i do see more and more colleagues getting into it. I grew up at the clubs, my dad was president of one and my brother has gone to the Brier a few times so I saw a lot of it back in the day....never was my thing, but I enjoy the odd game here and there. 

If you don't have receipts you are not allowed to converse with him.

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Sonny Boy....wasn't that a porridge back in the day....lol...IF you are from the prairies curling is brought ot you early from grade school on up.....Everybody loves curling no matter how old you are...So there's that

Exactly. Junior curling is benefitting from hockey being crazy expensive now.

Just now, GCn20 said:

My receipts were the mounds of chicken fingers/fries/pierogies I consumed at the West K club growing up. The bar staff/restaurant staff baby sat me on more than a few occasions.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

My receipts were the mounds of chicken fingers/fries/pierogies I consumed at the West K club growing up. The bar staff/restaurant staff baby sat me on more than a few occasions.

Cool. My friend used to bar tend there for a couple seasons back in the early 90's.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Frikken rink burgers, and I don't care what rink.....are the best.

18 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Exactly. Junior curling is benefitting from hockey being crazy expensive now.

Your little stories, you see, they're about as valuable as my tales. I mean, I might as well be the President of Curling Canada, considering how much weight this discussion holds.

4 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Your little stories, you see, they're about as valuable as my tales. I mean, I might as well be the President of Curling Canada, considering how much weight this discussion holds.

Pretty offended aren't you? You like to call out somebody who has, what appears to be a degree of knowledge. All I ever hear from you is somebody who vacillates between providing bad Charles Winchester impressions and righteous indignation at being exposed.  What's your point of reference on curling demographics Sonny boy?

28 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Pretty offended aren't you? You like to call out somebody who has, what appears to be a degree of knowledge. All I ever hear from you is somebody who vacillates between providing bad Charles Winchester impressions and righteous indignation at being exposed.  What's your point of reference on curling demographics Sonny boy?

Not offended in the slightest, but I'm somewhat perplexed as to why you're chiming in without contributing much to this conversation. I've been a fan of Canadian professional curling for decades, even attended my fair share of Briers and Scotties. The crowd, it seems to age noticabley each year, and there are fewer and fewer people around. I certainly hope this trend has changed, but my own personal experiences suggest otherwise in recent times. Now, if your anecdotes differ and you assert yourself as an insider, well, it might be prudent to offer some evidence to back it up.

3 hours ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

This would hold a lot more weight if... you yourself didn't offer up anecdotal "evidence".  Just sayin'.

1b4q14.gif