1st Round Of Playoffs: Division Semi-Finals Week

Noeller

One of the biggest errors in last years Cup was not adjusting to the switch in qb. when MacBeth was replaced by Kelly....We should have had them right there....instead we let the guy run wild.....next to no pressure and we folded like a cheap lawn chair in a typhoon...Certainly we had no book on the guy but I can't remember when a guy came in off the bench and beat a team of our calibre ...anytime, anywhere in such a high profile game...There were a lot of our guys hanging their heads on the bench after that one, and deservedly so....................

it will go 100 percent to Dinnwiddie solely due to more wins...not that he's better

Just now, Stickem said:

One of the biggest errors in last years Cup was not adjusting to the switch in qb. when MacBeth was replaced by Kelly....We should have had them right there....instead we let the guy run wild.....next to no pressure and we folded like a cheap lawn chair in a typhoon...Certainly we had no book on the guy but I can't remember when a guy came in off the bench and beat a team of our calibre ...anytime, anywhere in such a high profile game...There were a lot of our guys hanging their heads on the bench after that one, and deservedly so....................

yeah...which comes back to my earlier comment....coaching was a key reason we pooched that one

Our D is prone to running and making  QBs  with little cfl experience look like all star QBs, especially if they can run. 

Calgary imo would be a tougher game for us in Winnipeg than BC. 

The qb coached teams tho tend to go away from the running game... Dickenson Dinwiddie,  they wanna win by throwing it. 

They both have good backs 

BC don't really bother me, they kinda ******* in colder weather 

Don't need to see Farhan in a snowsuit in zero degrees 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Our D is prone to running and QBs  

Calgary imo would be a tougher game for us in Winnipeg than BC. 

Certainly, the Dome-dwelling team won't fare well in the open air at IGF, they'll be preoccupied with seeking warmth near the sideline heaters. Calgary, with their strong running game and month of snow shoveling already, seems more acclimated to matchup for the West Final, although I have reservations about them making it that far.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

yup yu can only beat who you face....that being said...BC 2x..Wpg 2x...Ham and Ott not 4 times....would be a totally different result, and having to take an actual road trip too would also factor in...their travel this yr for distance was a complete joke too....

This comment got me curious, so I did a very quick and dirty calculation on the travel for each team this year (regular season only).  I factored in the distance (as the crow flies) from home stadium to away stadium.  The distance travelled is quite a bit closer than I would have expected.  By the nature of where they are, BC's extra travel isn't all that surprising, the closest stadium for them is Calgary at 672km, while Toronto has 3 stadiums closer than that.

As pointed out by JCon and Bluto, I missed the TD Atlantic game.  This adds travel for Toronto and Sask, putting Toronto's total up to the 3rd least travel by distance.

Toronto: 10,472 km 11,742 km

Hamilton: 11,097 km

Winnipeg: 11,5879 km

Saskatchewan: 11,876 km 12,943 km

Ottawa: 12,956 km

Edmonton: 13,165 km

Montreal: 13,482 km

Calgary: 14,860 km

BC: 17,803 km

Edited by Sard
added in Touchdown Atlantic

2 minutes ago, Sard said:

This comment got me curious, so I did a very quick and dirty calculation on the travel for each team this year (regular season only).  I factored in the distance (as the crow flies) from home stadium to away stadium.  The distance travelled is quite a bit closer than I would have expected.  By the nature of where they are, BC's extra travel isn't all that surprising, the closest stadium for them is Calgary at 672km, while Toronto has 3 stadiums closer than that.

Toronto: 10,472 km

Saskatchewan: 11,876 km

Did you include the Atlantic game? 

10 minutes ago, Sard said:

Toronto: 10,472 km

Saskatchewan: 11,876 km

EDIT: @Jcon already queried 

Edited by bluto

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

Did you include the Atlantic game? 

I didn't (totally forgot about it), that would have actually added to Toronto's total because that was technically a home game for them so counted as 0km, and just would have added to Saskatchewan's distance.  It actually makes the travel distance even less lopsided than I would have expected for Toronto.

Added it above now.

Edited by Sard
added comment

3 minutes ago, Sard said:

I didn't (totally forgot about it), that would have actually added to Toronto's total because that was technically a home game for them so counted as 0km, and just would have added to Saskatchewan's distance.  It actually makes the travel distance even less lopsided than I would have expected for Toronto.

it seems closer...only tho that 3 of their trips were out west are signifiant...key word....3...so its skewwed a bit...all the ham...ott....Mtl games tho....hardly a trip

Just now, Booch said:

it seems closer...only tho that 3 of their trips were out west are signifiant...key word....3...so its skewwed a bit...all the ham...ott....Mtl games tho....hardly a trip

I don't disagree with you... Those short trips, especially the Hamilton games, are not plane rides which is a huge advantage.

Average distance per trip falls out like this:
Toronto: 1174
Hamilton: 1233
Winnipeg: 1288
Saskatchewan: 1438
Ottawa: 1440
Edmonton: 1463
Montreal: 1498
Calgary: 1651
BC: 1978

And yes, I did factor in TD Atlantic this time.

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Quick someone do the Bombers record vs. Greater than .500 teams vs the argos record vs. Greater than .500 teams.

Strength of schedule (this is misleading since because all teams with better records will not be competing with themselves, and the percentages are based on this year’s records, not last year’s) and record against teams over .500 and under .500:

Strength   >.500     <.500

Tor     .417          4-1         12-1

Wpg   .438         5-1          9-3

BC      .457         3-3         9-3

Mtl      .500         0-7        11-0

Ssk     .515          2-7         4-5

Ham   .528         2-9          6-1

Cal      .537         2-8         4-4

Ott      .537         1-8          3-6

Edm    .540        0-9          4-5

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

44 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Not what I see.

Slightly East of Winnipeg lies the longitudinal centre of Canada.

yup!

I resided in the self proclaimed center of the universe....couldnt get out fast enough....and thats when the Argos were slightly relevant

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Good for the Lions not appealing... it definitely makes a difference in their line-up, but he earned that suspension. 

It wasn't because it was the right thing to do, it was simply an attempt to make sure they have their best roster available if they make it past Calgary.  If he appealed and lost (which he would have), he'd be available this weekend but would have to serve the suspension during the West final against us.

I'd do it this way too but let's not pretend it was anything but a strategic move on their part.

Some random data as we enter the playoffs, or “why your team won’t win”:

For Calgary or Hamilton to even get to the Grey Cup, they would need to pull off the greatest playoff upset in CFL history. Each of them recorded 8 wins less than a team they would need to beat to get to the championship game. The biggest margin between team records for an upset win was 7 (Sask at 9-9 beat Edm at 16-2 in the 1997 West Final, Ottawa at 8-9-1 beat Calgary at 15-2-1 in the 2016 Grey Cup). In fact, only once has the difference in wins been greater between two teams who played a playoff game against each other. In 1981, 5-11 Ottawa met 14-1-1 Edmonton in the Grey Cup, and were a huge comeback and a field goal away from pulling off the miracle upset. 

BC and Montreal both finished 2nd in their divisions, and neither club has ever won a Grey Cup in the CFL era when finishing second in the regular season (BC has won 4 Cups from 1st and 2 from 3rd, Montreal has won 5 from 1st place, and 1 from 3rd place). A bit of an asterisk for the Alouettes as they did win the 1949 Cup after finishing 2nd, but that was in the pre-CFL era.

Winnipeg has won at least 14 games for the 5th time in club history. None of the prior 4 teams won the Cup (sorry). 1960 14-2 and lost the West Final to Edmonton, 1993 14-4 lost the Grey Cup to Edmonton, 2001 let us not speak of it, and last year again less said the better. 

Toronto is the second team to ever win 16 games in a season. The only other team to do it (1989 Edmonton) did not make it to the Grey Cup game. 

And should the Argos and Bombers get to a re-match, it will match the 1995 Grey Cup for the record for the most combined wins (30) by two teams playing for the title, when 15-3 Baltimore beat 15-3 Calgary. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever