Week 7 - E(l)ks @ Blue Bombers - GDT

JCon

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

...and I know u all drool over Holm's member...and the media is too....but we would be a better defence with Parker or AD at the halfback spot...see more upside there...more physicality and way better tackling...which we need bigtime...he's done some good things...everyone has...but he also gets targeted...a lot...and there is a reason for it...plus he has the physicality of a teenage girl...no offence to any teenage girls, but thats a big issue ...he'd be a great extra DB tho right now as he could slot in to a few positions and I guess retirn a kick or 2....but that be a bit sketchy too as his times he has done it since he been here haven't been very comforting

Holm has been nothing short of excellent and his tackling has been fine. I'd argue his coverage has been the best out of all our DB's not named Nichols. I cant think of many scenarios where he hasnt been in the hip pocket of receivers and/or was able to use his elite speed to recover in time to make the play. Im sorry he stole your ice cream.

I'll take the win, ugly as it was, but boy did we ever try to give it away in the first half.

Got our first TD partly cuz we got lucky that the refs on the field didn't see the ball hit the ground on Lawler's big 'catch'. 

Gave the ball away 3 times in the first half, but Edmonton couldn't capitalize. 

We couldn't run the ball until the 4th when Edmonton's D finally wore down. 

Edmonton would become instantly better if they had a QB. 

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’ll definitely take it, it’s going to happen with the cover corners who don’t see a lot of targets. It was the same thing with Alford. Often gets forgotten that the other team gets paid to play too. Just as much as Houston can jump a route successfully, the other team can bait him successfully.

Overall, I’d take Houston as easily one of the top 2-3 corners in the CFL. Seems like guys like BVD prefer a player like Abu who gets targeted 10 times a game for 6 first downs, because he limits gains to just past the first down marker as a sure tackler. That’s not to rag on ADS either, but there’s an obvious reason why teams are picking on him - it’s better than throwing it to the other side of the field.

I mean- what about Cornelius’ play doesn’t convince you that he is going to make a poor read? I agree, I think you need guys willing to make game changing plays - it will always be a matter of the when the explosion play will occur and the ability to mitigate it. 

I’ve noticed ADS gets thrown at a lot too- but I guess you gotta go somewhere - and if he starts getting even more comfortable to the point he is not just keeping the play in front of him (which - like you say- is just fine) it will be a real issue for other teams. 

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’ll definitely take it, it’s going to happen with the cover corners who don’t see a lot of targets. It was the same thing with Alford. Often gets forgotten that the other team gets paid to play too. Just as much as Houston can jump a route successfully, the other team can bait him successfully.

Overall, I’d take Houston as easily one of the top 2-3 corners in the CFL. Seems like guys like BVD prefer a player like Abu who gets targeted 10 times a game for 6 first downs, because he limits gains to just past the first down marker as a sure tackler. That’s not to rag on ADS either, but there’s an obvious reason why teams are picking on him - it’s better than throwing it to the other side of the field.

the same can be said about Holm...But he lacks the tackling talent of ADS....Thats why Parker is our best option at the other HB spot...he's twitchy fast like Nichols to actually break up that pass...or to close before the first down stick and kill drives....plus he is a fierce tackler and physical....if by week 10 or Db's arent Rose/Nichols/BA/Parker /houston then something is wrong...thats our best starting 5

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Holm has been nothing short of excellent and his tackling has been fine. I'd argue his coverage has been the best out of all our DB's not named Nichols. I cant think of many scenarios where he hasnt been in the hip pocket of receivers and/or was able to use his elite speed to recover in time to make the play. Im sorry he stole your ice cream.

no it hasnt...and I bet the tragets and completion percentage against him verifies it too....he hs wiffed, and missed a lot of tackles...especially in the traffic areas

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

the same can be said about Holm...But he lacks the tackling talent of ADS....Thats why Parker is our best option at the other HB spot...he's twitchy fast like Nichols to actually break up that pass...or to close before the first down stick and kill drives....plus he is a fierce tackler and physical....if by week 10 or Db's arent Rose/Nichols/BA/Parker /houston then something is wrong...thats our best starting 5

no it hasnt...and I bet the tragets and completion percentage against him verifies it too....he hs wiffed, and missed a lot of tackles...especially in the traffic areas

Disagree. I would love to find said stats but have no idea if theyre available. If anyone can/cares to please do. Youre strange dislike of him since day 1 has clouded reality.

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

Disagree. I would love to find said stats but have no idea if theyre available. If anyone can/cares to please do. Youre strange dislike of him since day 1 has clouded reality.

Any time I break out stats I'm told they aren't worth the paper they're written on anyhow, or that stats are for losers ho don't watch the game (pissing and snacking). I'm not going to bother anymore.

3 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

opinions vary

Just now, MOBomberFan said:

Any time I break out stats I'm told they aren't worth the paper they're written on anyhow, or that stats are for losers ho don't watch the game (pissing and snacking). I'm not going to bother anymore.

Targets and completion percent...and completions for first downs is cut and dry...Piss break and snacking or not....even if u went for a dump...

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

My only complaint about Houston as he seems to get beat over the top for huge gain at least once a game. But it happens to aggressive corners who are out on their own. If they bite on a double move its over.  Hope the coaches are coaching him up on when its clear teams are trying to set him up for a deep shot.

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

Agree Parker would be better up near the line and against the run. I'll bet Parker isn't breaking up all those passes 40 yards down field though. 

Holm has great ball skills on deep shots. Times his jump and make plays to knock it down. Maybe he'd be a good cover safety.

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

our offence tho...he shouldn't have to be...and he hits hole hard now, so 8 to 20 yard pops at a time while he is punishing guys, and taking their will to get in the way is perfect...when we get back to using some misdirection and incorporate Demski and Bailey into the run game...to really open up the intermediate to deep areas for Lawler and Schoen...and come Oct and Nov....u really thik a defense is gonna like having a guy like BO trucking them all game?....I know I wouldnt 

Unfortunately, for most of every game, he's been getting 2-3 yards a pop.

8 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

My only complaint about Houston as he seems to get beat over the top for huge gain at least once a game. But it happens to aggressive corners who are out on their own. If they bite on a double move its over.  Hope the coaches are coaching him up on when its clear teams are trying to set him up for a deep shot.

Agree Parker would be better up near the line and against the run. I'll bet Parker isn't breaking up all those passes 40 yards down field though. 

Holm has great ball skills on deep shots. Times his jump and make plays to knock it down. Maybe he'd be a good cover safety.

What makes u say that....has just as fast in the 40...and is more explosive and has better fast twitch that u can easily see when he closes, or moves in to make a play

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

lol, watch Gray go back in for Dobson.

But it's gotta be time to see Wilson back at LB

I have no idea what they're going to do with the secondary/SAM

well Gray was kind of knicked up...so wouldnt be surprised...that being said Eli for Kolo with the guards as is would be a stronger front than Kolo at center with Dobson at guard.....Hopefully we shuffle the deck a bit if just to see what Eli and Dobson together gives us

22 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I mostly agree, but Booch is pretty clear that he just personally prefers a more physical player and - while Holm has many strengths - that isn't his game.

I'm on the Holm train though. I think he's got Houston upside.

35 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Harris was never quick or shifty either, he just had that spin and hurdle that Brady doesnt. Brady is a beast though and will grind you down. That run in the 4th where he lowered his pads and mashed that Elks linebacker into a fine paste was a thing of beauty. He's never going to win a footrace to the endzone, but thats O'Shea/Bomber football and the type you need to grind out wins in the cold playoffs. No one wanted to tackle Brady last night in the 4th quarter. He was punishing them. Love me a big back.

I hear ya. Like I said, I like Brady. I'd just like him more as part of an RB tandem, where the other RB actually was a break away threat that defenses worried about. Helps set up the passing game. Doesn't have to be a 180 lb juke RB. Calgary has three American RB's who are legit threats. NFL teams cut RB's every year that could easily excel in the CFL. Bombers could find one. They may have had one and cut him. And 4Q grind out a lead - Brady is definitely the guy I want. But 1st and 10, first Q, the opposing D is not worried he's breaking one, and are scheming for that. The run is not setting up the pass in other words. 

I agree with Rose - Nichols - Alexander - Parker - Houston secondary 

Keep Dobson at RG and start Eli at C 

Start Wilson at WIL  

Kramdi was OK at SAM last night nothing fancy but made some good plays but If not Darby (injured?, regressed?), maybe we need to try someone there. 

1 minute ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Can anyone tell me if shoe was hurt in that game? I think he was only targeted once in the entire game and lawler was what 8? 

Schoen

He was but nothing serious as him. (hopefully)

Just now, M.Silverback said:

I hear ya. Like I said, I like Brady. I'd just like him more as part of an RB tandem, where the other RB actually was a break away threat that defenses worried about. Helps set up the passing game. Doesn't have to be a 180 lb juke RB. Calgary has three American RB's who are legit threats. NFL teams cut RB's every year that could easily excel in the CFL. Bombers could find one. They may have had one and cut him. And 4Q grind out a lead - Brady is definitely the guy I want. But 1st and 10, first Q, the opposing D is not worried he's breaking one, and are scheming for that. The run is not setting up the pass in other words. 

Mcrae is pretty much that guy already. They did insert him for a couple runs last night when the running game was stalled. Its imperative that our run game is a success. It opens up so much more for Buck and Zach.

I was nervous as hell in the initial stages of the game......I thought ....uh oh....I hope we're not going down the same road as the Ottawa game and lose to that hobo outfit....BUT it all came together as the game moved along ...Lawler was definitely lighting a spark that's been missing on O....Clutch catches that were Kenny's bread and butter were definitely in Zacks and Pierce's plan......

2 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I agree with Rose - Nichols - Alexander - Parker - Houston secondary 

Keep Dobson at RG and start Eli at C 

Start Wilson at WIL  

Kramdi was OK at SAM last night nothing fancy but made some good plays but If not Darby (injured?, regressed?), maybe we need to try someone there. 

He was but nothing serious as him. (hopefully)

Not sure how you can take Holm out of the lineup. Rose was hot poop last year. Parker does need to come back in though.

7 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Mcrae is pretty much that guy already. They did insert him for a couple runs last night when the running game was stalled. Its imperative that our run game is a success. It opens up so much more for Buck and Zach.

Not sure McRae is that guy. I'm talking about a Carey, Mills, Logan type RB on Calgary. They're out there. Bring one in, tandem with Brady, maybe dress one less special teams LB or FB, there's your RB game setting up your passing game for Buck and Zach. Defenses have figured this out. It's on their whiteboards under their "Believe" signs - don't worry about the Bombers running game. 

1 minute ago, M.Silverback said:

Not sure McRae is that guy. I'm talking about a Carey, Mills, Logan type RB on Calgary. They're out there. Bring one in, tandem with Brady, maybe dress one less special teams LB or FB, there's your RB game setting up your passing game for Buck and Zach. Defenses have figured this out. It's on their whiteboards under their "Believe" signs - don't worry about the Bombers running game. 

well we had Salima who could have fit that role, and he played cover on teams

5 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Mcrae is plenty shifty and fast. The guy averaged like 9 yards a carry in college. Youre not going to be bringing in a newbie at this stage of the season when Mcrae is around.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti