Bombers vs Als - Canada day weekend edition

The Zipp

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think the the issue goes back to these boards (maybe it was ourbombers?)  in that everyone agreed that the Hall defense can work beautifully... when that defense is loaded with all star talent.   I remember many many threads ripping apart Richie Hall because of the soft coverage. 

Lawrence, Houston and Holm are far from all star level of talent.      We also require constant pressure on the QB so that they can only quickly get the ball out for the 4 yard pass... otherwise if they have time to make a quick 2nd read our DB's are playing so far off that it's an easy 8  yard pass each time against us.   

Fair enough. They have all been burned lately. What is Brad Muhammed doing?

4 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Or... depth of talent. Because we can't adequately fill the roles hit by injuries?

Of our 4 secondary positions (not including safety), we were down 3 of them. Darby missed a lot of snaps at SAM as well, as Kramdi played a bunch.

How much depth do you expect to have?

4 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

My 2 cents Halls defence needs pressure and our D-line is not good enough to give what he needs. 

IF we improved the D-line the LB's and DB's would be improved

As has been said around here many many times, this is exactly it, and it's injuries (and lack of depth) all along the DL that are causing our issues on D.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Agreed, with DT also being a weak spot. I’m sure we’ll be fine on the edge when Hansen comes back. Really just need one more rotational guy there. 

Haba showing well this early in his career is very helpful. It Jeffcoat is ever good enough to go, that's a good rotation on the ends. Hansen even more so. Lawson spelling off Jake when he comes back will help both of them enormously but I still wish we had someone better than Ricky Walker as our main NT. Would kill for a Nevis/Stove.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I think the the issue goes back to these boards (maybe it was ourbombers?)  in that everyone agreed that the Hall defense can work beautifully... when that defense is loaded with all star talent.   I remember many many threads ripping apart Richie Hall because of the soft coverage. 

Lawrence, Houston and Holm are far from all star level of talent.      We also require constant pressure on the QB so that they can only quickly get the ball out for the 4 yard pass... otherwise if they have time to make a quick 2nd read our DB's are playing so far off that it's an easy 8  yard pass each time against us.   

Hall's defence really started to come together when he was exempted from having to play any Natl. players in his secondary, that happened the day B.A. replaced Jeft Hecht at Safety.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Of our 4 secondary positions (not including safety), we were down 3 of them. Darby missed a lot of snaps at SAM as well, as Kramdi played a bunch.

How much depth do you expect to have?

Enough so that we don't average 30+ points a game against us... I dont feel that is too much to ask...

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Haba showing well this early in his career is very helpful. It Jeffcoat is ever good enough to go, that's a good rotation on the ends. Hansen even more so. Lawson spelling off Jake when he comes back will help both of them enormously but I still wish we had someone better than Ricky Walker as our main NT. Would kill for a Nevis/Stove.

My kingdom for a Shawn Oakman 

Lack of consistency/Chem is killing the secondary..and for whatever reason we are constant in a cushion allowing for easy short passing over and over and over..If you don't trust your guys to play man or press and are getting raped doin so then time to replace your DBS...will we switch up our game plan when Rose..Parker..possibly Muhamed are back/in..possibly

We have an injury where we have zero coverage on in Jeffcoat..piss poor roster and PR management...Now if Jeffcoat was back starting...Haba spelling both off and or all 3 in together at times...with Hansen taking reps would make a world of difference....that and DT combo of Lawson and as it is now Fox...schmeckle should never see field and Thomas is toast...maybe a 6 to 9 rep a game guy now...we failed in recruitment and drafting for DL where we were thin...and gave Walker the spot by default in the winter soley cause he's been here 3 yrs? Shameful work by us

The drafting of Bennet and the other 2 dt we took was weak..and killing us

9 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

He's more of a halfback than a db, at least that's where he was last year. Who do you take out, Nichols or Holm?

U seriously asked who?

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

As has been said around here many many times, this is exactly it, and it's injuries (and lack of depth) all along the DL that are causing our issues on D.

It’s not just depth though. Walker isn’t good enough. Habba is depth and he’s going to be a star. 4 games less than 5 weeks 4 sacks and a bunch of tackles. 
 We need to get healthy and we need to pick and nose and go with them. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

It’s not just depth though. Walker isn’t good enough. Habba is depth and he’s going to be a star. 4 games less than 5 weeks 4 sacks and a bunch of tackles. 
 We need to get healthy and we need to pick and nose and go with them. 

Us giving a spot by default due to being here (Walker) piss poor draft..and then with an old an not so good no more Thomas...injured Hansen and a suspect health in Jeffcoat and not PR a legit DE prospect to groom ..and or DT is why we thin...weak ..and scrambling...issues in regards to depth and roster makeup which was brought up but most scoffed at.

But we can PR a global olineman for yr 3 who will likely never see a true snap as a starter or backup ..a global punter...another import tackle in Ivy who is behind Richmond so likely never sees the field...another global db...whom I like actually and would prob serve more use on active roster than Mauro to be honest...and add in the lack of having a Canadian who can play Jackson's role so we don't burn a DI on that spot..that's the main issue with some injury problems right now.

Plain and simple...would the addition of Wilson..Jeffcoat...Hansen...Rose...Parker..and then hopefully an impactful DI for Jackson make this squad look a lot diff... definitely...but how long is that gonna be? If they know it's basically right around the corner I can somewhat live with the b.s roster stuff...but if it's a who knows thing? Then time to make some moves/changes to tweak things to be more practical 

Everyone mostly agrees that we need a better D-line and many believe we actually have most pieces to do it in house. A solid argument can be made for that. 

Some have mentioned roster management which ties very much into the above issue, and unfortunately the d-linemen we drafted have not yet been anywhere near the level we need them to be. Injuries are are factor but as I think Booch mentioned why did we not bring in more competition?

Hindsight is 20/20 and we could play the what-ifs  game all day, the reality IMO is that we are not good enough TODAY along the D-line.

So the contending for top spot in the West question is what do we do about now?

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

Us giving a spot by default due to being here (Walker) piss poor draft..and then with an old an not so good no more Thomas...injured Hansen and a suspect health in Jeffcoat and not PR a legit DE prospect to groom ..and or DT is why we thin...weak ..and scrambling...issues in regards to depth and roster makeup which was brought up but most scoffed at.

But we can PR a global olineman for yr 3 who will likely never see a true snap as a starter or backup ..a global punter...another import tackle in Ivy who is behind Richmond so likely never sees the field...another global db...whom I like actually and would prob serve more use on active roster than Mauro to be honest...and add in the lack of having a Canadian who can play Jackson's role so we don't burn a DI on that spot..that's the main issue with some injury problems right now.

Plain and simple...would the addition of Wilson..Jeffcoat...Hansen...Rose...Parker..and then hopefully an impactful DI for Jackson make this squad look a lot diff... definitely...but how long is that gonna be? If they know it's basically right around the corner I can somewhat live with the b.s roster stuff...but if it's a who knows thing? Then time to make some moves/changes to tweak things to be more practical 

Yep. Imagine if we get healthy, get ford back and cut the dead weight? 2 nis on the active let go and 3 wasted spots on the pr. 
 Bring in a couple imp wils and another nose for the pr. 
 Then if we pull a ritchie type trade and send out a couple draft picks for some turn key special teams vet ni who provide some depth. We’d be set. 

We’ve been drafting like we retain our nis and guys that go to the nfl. And retaining our nfl talent like we are still turning out stud draft results like we did a couple years back. And we just aren’t. 

Honestly I don't think DL is the issue.  No one is getting pressure if the reads and throws are easy to complete. Which is the issue here. Secondary, especially the corners, have not been good enough and Ritchie Hall hasn't been doing enough to make qbs have to hesitate. Just letting them play pitch and catch.

I have concerns with Houston’s consistency considering the preseason games, Lawrence just repeating the same mistakes over and over (he’s gotta be getting roasted in film), and Darby getting pulled this last game brings his position into question (based on his shitty performance I don’t think it’s injury). It will be interesting to see things play out. I do think rose will be back soon since they’ve said he’s running at practice.
I still think we have some of the best DBs in the cfl and it’s been exciting to watch. 

1 hour ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Everyone mostly agrees that we need a better D-line and many believe we actually have most pieces to do it in house. A solid argument can be made for that. 

Some have mentioned roster management which ties very much into the above issue, and unfortunately the d-linemen we drafted have not yet been anywhere near the level we need them to be. Injuries are are factor but as I think Booch mentioned why did we not bring in more competition?

Hindsight is 20/20 and we could play the what-ifs  game all day, the reality IMO is that we are not good enough TODAY along the D-line.

So the contending for top spot in the West question is what do we do about now?

Call the Lemonator.