Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'd actually have hundreds of $$$ more each month to do what I want if it wasn't for my kids. And that's honestly probably low balling it. I'm mostly thinking about childcare, not the extra food/clothing/transport/activities etc etc etc.

Bingo, bango, bongo.

As most parents would agree here, we couldn't imagine our lives without our children, they're our universes, our being but they are fricken expensive

I saw on a vehicle recently that instead of saying baby on board, financial burdens on board. I found that funny but true.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

you can still develope a new young guy....happens all around the league so yeah....develop a successor without having to pay big $$ in FA.....Basic football 101 for the CFL....IE....Succession plan

Not only that but .. learning the how and why things are done in a successful organization from veterans who have been there and have helped build it is IMMENSELY valuable.  

Culture is the easiest thing to destroy and the hardest thing to build - we only have to look at our not too distant past to see what the wilderness looks like.

14 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Not only that but .. learning the how and why things are done in a successful organization from veterans who have been there and have helped build it is IMMENSELY valuable.  

Culture is the easiest thing to destroy and the hardest thing to build - we only have to look at our not too distant past to see what the wilderness looks like.

yeah having some upstarts see how the vets who are on the way out do things, and have them learn under them is also invaluable....Not too concerned about that issue here tho, as there is a large contingent of guys who will move it forward for yrs to come yet anyway.....but having a few guys learning and cutting teeth this yr, to be more than game ready next, and possibly legit studs for the 2025 Grey Cup season is better than trying to establish that 1 yr out from a possible home Cup appearance

6 minutes ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

My kid will wipe my ass when I'm too old to do it.  Turnabout is fair play in my books.  I wiped your ass for a couple of years kid, you can return the favour.

I made that exact threat to my kid when  he was being God damned stubborn about toilet training. I swore to him I was going to live long enough to make him have to change my diapers just to teach him a lesson.

42 minutes ago, JCon said:

I spend thousands just on their activities each year. 

Housing, food, travel, etc. 

I thought I was lucky that neither kid wanted to play hockey.  My daughter took 5 different dance classes one year - $2000+ after costumes were purchased.

Smart phone plans ain't cheap either.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

I thought I was lucky that neither kid wanted to play hockey.  My daughter took 5 different dance classes one year - $2000+ after costumes were purchased.

Want a one-way ticket to the poorhouse?

Have a kid with a blown-out mouth who likes to dance. 

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

My youngest has 7 classes. $2500. That does not include the exams he's taking. 

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

My youngest has 7 classes. $2500. That does not include the exams he's taking. 

Yah hockey, plus the endless travel, hotels and meals, one kid is $5000 the other $2000, both now into mountain biking and golf!  Did not know a bicycle could cost more than a motorcycle, and still can't understand why.

3 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Unless Neuf is making some serious cheese in a side gig or has job prospects lined up, he ain’t retiring with a new baby. 
BTW, Haven’t we been calling for his retirement forever?

Sometimes you retire because you want to, sometimes you retire because you are forced to,

5 hours ago, Booch said:

you can still develope a new young guy....happens all around the league so yeah....develop a successor without having to pay big $$ in FA.....Basic football 101 for the CFL....IE....Succession plan

You can only develop so many guys on the active roster and PR players are FA's at the end of the year and may sign elsewhere. We do have a few guys ripening on the vine already maybe not as many as we possibly could, but we are built to contend this year so a couple trade offs have to be made.

Look, I get what you guys are saying but it is very difficult to keep a fluid contending roster with game ready depth AND build for the future all at the same time. I would say we have some players ripening on the vine but realistically we are not looking to rebuild any time soon....more like reload at least until after 2025 GC...and let's be honest...FA is our best shot at reloading. After 2025 I am thinking a full rebuild will be coming and that's when roster/PR management will be of paramount importance compared to now.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Seriously?

I’m guessing you’ve never had to pay for childcare or required additional supports?

Regardless, babies eventually transform into children, and then we are talking serious $ output.

I'm pretty sure Paddy Neufeld isn't paying child support or signing his new born for hockey or anything.       So once again having a baby isn't some kind of crazy financial burden.     Bunch of weirdos on here with weird responses so I don't think Paddy Neufeld is going to keep playing because the cost of diapers is so overbearing that he can't possibly live without that CFL cheque.  When our kids were newly born we were so damn exhausted that we had no energy to go out and spend any money, 100% focus was on the baby.   

Also as they get older it isn't that bad financially,  unless you sign up your kid for something like hockey which most kids are not signed up for.    For ourselves we just spend our money differently now with kids then before when we had complete freedom.   Instead of going out for beer and wings,  I go to Boston Pizza and use kids cards.   Instead of buying a sports car like I did when I was younger,  I bought a SUV suited for a family.  Instead of flying out to Vegas or California with friends and living it up,  I drive to Fargo and enjoy some Mangos.   I'm not in financial ruin because I have to drop $20 dollars to send my daughter to cooking class tonight and then take her for ice cream afterwards.    It's a myth that kids are some kind of huge financial burden,  the reality is that instead of spending money purely on yourself,  you now are spending on others.      

43 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sometimes you retire because you want to, sometimes you retire because you are forced to,

You can only develop so many guys on the active roster and PR players are FA's at the end of the year and may sign elsewhere. We do have a few guys ripening on the vine already maybe not as many as we possibly could, but we are built to contend this year so a couple trade offs have to be made.

Look, I get what you guys are saying but it is very difficult to keep a fluid contending roster with game ready depth AND build for the future all at the same time. I would say we have some players ripening on the vine but realistically we are not looking to rebuild any time soon....more like reload at least until after 2025 GC...and let's be honest...FA is our best shot at reloading. After 2025 I am thinking a full rebuild will be coming and that's when roster/PR management will be of paramount importance compared to now.

I would hope we aren't rebuilding at this juncture....and cant see a rebuild really for quite some time if managed correctly...and having the forsight to make the tough decisions ...as opposed to making desperate moves because you failed to do that

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

I would hope we aren't rebuilding at this juncture....and cant see a rebuild really for quite some time if managed correctly...and having the forsight to make the tough decisions ...as opposed to making desperate moves because you failed to do that

2025 is the big tamale, right?

At what point do you switch which parts to get you there? 2 off-seasons to go. 

I think that even the least skeptical of the BB roster management would have to figure in at least some turnover/evolution/rebuilding/restocking to get you the home field GC of your dreams. And on the other hand, the more roster skeptical among you may see big changes to see it through.

15 minutes ago, bluto said:

2025 is the big tamale, right?

At what point do you switch which parts to get you there? 2 off-seasons to go. 

I think that even the least skeptical of the BB roster management would have to figure in at least some turnover/evolution/rebuilding/restocking to get you the home field GC of your dreams. And on the other hand, the more roster skeptical among you may see big changes to see it through.

yup

And you need to make some changes nest yr, or at the least have the replacement on the game day roster

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm pretty sure Paddy Neufeld isn't paying child support or signing his new born for hockey or anything.       So once again having a baby isn't some kind of crazy financial burden.     Bunch of weirdos on here with weird responses so I don't think Paddy Neufeld is going to keep playing because the cost of diapers is so overbearing that he can't possibly live without that CFL cheque.  When our kids were newly born we were so damn exhausted that we had no energy to go out and spend any money, 100% focus was on the baby.   

Also as they get older it isn't that bad financially,  unless you sign up your kid for something like hockey which most kids are not signed up for.    For ourselves we just spend our money differently now with kids then before when we had complete freedom.   Instead of going out for beer and wings,  I go to Boston Pizza and use kids cards.   Instead of buying a sports car like I did when I was younger,  I bought a SUV suited for a family.  Instead of flying out to Vegas or California with friends and living it up,  I drive to Fargo and enjoy some Mangos.   I'm not in financial ruin because I have to drop $20 dollars to send my daughter to cooking class tonight and then take her for ice cream afterwards.    It's a myth that kids are some kind of huge financial burden,  the reality is that instead of spending money purely on yourself,  you now are spending on others.      

Richie rich over here

4 hours ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

My kid will wipe my ass when I'm too old to do it.  Turnabout is fair play in my books.  I wiped your ass for a couple of years kid, you can return the favour.

He's just gonna let you go in the yard, then he'll wait for mother nature to bury it in snow so he doesn't have to clean it up........wait until spring....

Edited by Nolby

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

You exhaust me.