Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Cui is a little too much Gliberman-style to get the job done IMO.  Good move for Edmonton.  They need to focus on the football side and have leadership with that ability.

I'm sincerely curious what you know about Cui to form that opinion. I had thought he was similar to Doman in BC and had lots of good ideas, but it's absolutely possible that I'm wildly mistaken (a first for everything...ha ha ha) 

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Cui is a little too much Gliberman-style to get the job done IMO.  Good move for Edmonton.  They need to focus on the football side and have leadership with that ability.

A good director of marketing but I think it's obvious that the football side of things were over his head.

I'm not sure why people think he's so great at marketing.

Look at the stadium the Bombers just played in.  Felt like it was a game played during a lockdown.

From Dusty Neilsons podcast in Edmonton sounds like the board and some alumni both on football ops/playing side had to constantly rein him in because he had some crazy ideas to try to attract attention (eg Glieberman) and trouble with financial management.

Even when we were in Reinebold/Daley/Burke eras they could market players and drive interest in the team, get people out to games.  Edmonton is a disaster all the way around and Cui was part of the issue.  They can't continue to burn cash.  At $4-$5 million losses per year they'll be out of cash in two years.

The football side of things in Edmonton is pure tire fire… so yeah the YEG homegrown marketing guru who has founding and building a $1B sports marketing business on his resume is the problem…

-edit- just saw JBR’s post.  Haven’t heard those specifics.  Figured the stadium was empty because of four straight years of sucking.  Maybe a case of the pond being too small for Cui.

Edited by BigBlueFanatic
Jbr’s post below

1 minute ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

The football side of things in Edmonton is pure tire fire… so yeah the YEG homegrown marketing guru who has founding and building a $1B sports marketing business on his resume is the problem 🤦🏻‍♂️

Marketing Filipino fighters to Filipinos.

A little bit different than managing human and financial resources of a professional football team.  You guys have to pick up Dustin Neilson's podcast.  Would not be surprised if scandal looming on the HR side.

32 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Well, his job wasn't on the football side, so maybe people shouldn't blame him for their continued failures. 

46 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I have no issue with guaranteed contracts. But having the management cap in place and tying non-employees to it seems silly. Let teams be stuck with old contracts on the books but make the operations cap a “currently on staff” cap. The intent of the cap was to avoid teams having 25 coaches in place, not handcuff them in the event they fired someone. Or do like the NHL and have a buyout where only a portion of their salary applies to the current cap. This way teams are stuck with their bad contracts, but not crippled by them indefinitely into the future. Just a thought. 

If this were true, it wouldn't be tied to former staff. The cap was to limit real, total dollars; not just the number of staff or year to year spending. 

49 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Well, his job wasn't on the football side, so maybe people shouldn't blame him for their continued failures. 

The job was running a professional football team.  Over and over again people in that position of president who have no idea how a professional football team should operate fail.

Add Cui to the list.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

A good director of marketing but I think it's obvious that the football side of things were over his head.

Oh man it’s he sick if he got a role like that but for the league. 

38 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The job was running a professional football team.  Over and over again people in that position of president who have no idea how a professional football team should operate fail.

Add Cui to the list.

except the board installed jones in gm and hc role before cui and the cap handicapped him in changing that. What would you have done as him? 

51 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Add Cui to the list.

Cui was handed the mess and wasn't given the opportunity to even try to fix it.  He started the season with some good marketing to get people in the seats, but there's only so much you can do from a marketing perspective when the team is so bad that fans are wearing paper bags on their heads.

If he had hired Jones, then 100% I would agree with you, but the fact that the board signed that contract before hiring Cui, I can't blame him for anything that is wrong with the team right now.  Agreed with others that I felt that he was like Doman in BC.

Was he good at his job?  Who knows, maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but we'll never know because the team on the field is so bad that nobody can market it and create a good game day experience successfully.

25 minutes ago, Sard said:

Cui was handed the mess and wasn't given the opportunity to even try to fix it.  He started the season with some good marketing to get people in the seats, but there's only so much you can do from a marketing perspective when the team is so bad that fans are wearing paper bags on their heads.

If he had hired Jones, then 100% I would agree with you, but the fact that the board signed that contract before hiring Cui, I can't blame him for anything that is wrong with the team right now.  Agreed with others that I felt that he was like Doman in BC.

Was he good at his job?  Who knows, maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but we'll never know because the team on the field is so bad that nobody can market it and create a good game day experience successfully.

According to the media in Edmonton a good portion of the front office has resigned in the past year.  People that had previously been significant parts of a model franchise.  Reading between the lines there were questions brought up about financial management and team building on the business side under Cui's tenure.  The board had to intervene several times as they said in that presser.  That's quite unusual as there are pretty strong legal boundaries on a governance board as the community owned football teams in this country are set up as regarding their involvement in operations.  

The guy takes a "mutual" parting of ways which does not benefit him at all.  You'd rather get fired unless there's a reason they can fire you with cause.

Something is extremely fishy around Cui.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

According to the media in Edmonton a good portion of the front office has resigned in the past year.  People that had previously been significant parts of a model franchise.  Reading between the lines there were questions brought up about financial management and team building on the business side under Cui's tenure.  The board had to intervene several times as they said in that presser.  That's quite unusual as there are pretty strong legal boundaries on a governance board as the community owned football teams in this country are set up as regarding their involvement in operations.  

The guy takes a "mutual" parting of ways which does not benefit him at all.  You'd rather get fired unless there's a reason they can fire you with cause.

Something is extremely fishy around Cui.

Sounds like you're buying into the propaganda, imo.

The board has multiple years of fishyness behind them that predates Cui. They've backed themselves into a corner with Jones and are unable to fire him but someone had to be the sacrificial lamb. 

Sounds like a garth Buchko situation 

Truth probably somewhere in the middle tho  

Perhaps sacrificial lamb but Perhaps was part of the problems there also  

Honestly the team sucks,  is drawing ****, not even cuz flies would show up if **** was present 

Obviously some of that was on the president 

Edmonton is like Winnipeg with Buchko and Mack until Miller and Kyle came and cleaned it up. 

2 incompetent dudes at the top. That's where it starts so I believe they are justified in firing cui. Next step is Jones but $$$

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Sounds like you're buying into the propaganda, imo.

The board has multiple years of fishyness behind them that predates Cui. They've backed themselves into a corner with Jones and are unable to fire him but someone had to be the sacrificial lamb. 

I think they are all problematic.  Football fans aren't taking a president who clearly has and wants no involvement in football operations as a sacrifice to lower the temperature on their anger for on-field performance.

But Cui is being painted as some kind of opportunity for saviour they missed by some.  Seems like he's just another person who took advantage of the power vacuum there and actually had no skills.

Something significant happened there because they'd never pull the plug on something like this mid-season unless they absolutely had to.

They realized that they won't win a game at home this season so ppl who previously bought tix can show up for free with proof of purchase of said earlier ticket and nobody else is gonna come so only $$$ they make is concessions and Cui I think was the dude who made that promotion a thing 

$$$$ is always the reason 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think they are all problematic.  Football fans aren't taking a president who clearly has and wants no involvement in football operations as a sacrifice to lower the temperature on their anger for on-field performance.

But Cui is being painted as some kind of opportunity for saviour they missed by some.  Seems like he's just another person who took advantage of the power vacuum there and actually had no skills.

Something significant happened there because they'd never pull the plug on something like this mid-season unless they absolutely had to.

Last thing I'll say is no one could have done anything from an attendance/marketing/financial point of view with the football team being as bad as it is.

The board made a choice to tie themselves to Chris Jones before hiring a president. 

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

They realized that they won't win a game at home this season so ppl who previously bought tix can show up for free with proof of purchase of said earlier ticket and nobody else is gonna come so only $$$ they make is concessions and Cui I think was the dude who made that promotion a thing 

$$$$ is always the reason 

That whole thing was a gimmick available to a small number of seats. I don't think it's costing them enough money to fire someone. 

4 hours ago, Doublezero said:

So, we lose Walters to the management cap. Tell me how this is good for the CFL again, Tom??? What a bunch of drivel coming from a former player. 

57 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:
58 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Well... its good for the next team that hires him.

59 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Well... its good for the next team that hires him.

We lose the best GM in the CFL & the asshat who's the cause of the cap gets to keep all of his jobs in Edmonton.