2023 CFL Draft Discussion

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Karl Schmitz bounced around the NFL after being spotted on Youtube kicking a 70 yard field goal. His age isn't that big a deal to me for this season. What else do we expect from a low second round global pick. The fact that we got someone who might help us in some way at that slot is notable. I was thinking maybe we would snag an NFL bound global at that pick.

You love to make every move the Bombers make sound amazing, don’t you? Lol

This is legitimately a nothing transaction. I would be shocked if this guy even came to camp. This draft has basically become a giant waste of time, you can tell how seriously teams take it given that it took less than 20 minutes from start to finish for 18 picks. There was one guy in this talent pool who has a legitimate chance and legitimate interest in the CFL and he went first overall.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

This is legitimately a nothing transaction. I would be shocked if this guy even came to camp. This draft has basically become a giant waste of time, you can tell how seriously teams take it given that it took less than 20 minutes from start to finish for 18 picks. There was one guy in this talent pool who has a legitimate chance and legitimate interest in the CFL and he went first overall.

So I should cancel my Karl Schmitz jersey order? 

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't think that i made anything sound amazing. I'm just stating that its not impossible that they got something of value in an otherwise valueless slot. Much of the league doesn't value the Global draft. But the bombers are a bit different in that regard.  We have two players so far that have actually helped the team. The regular draft would go a lot faster as well if they didn't delay the announcement of picks for television and there was no opportunity to field trade offers. In theory a team that has done their due diligence should always know who they are going to select when their slot comes up. 

12 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

So I should cancel my Karl Schmitz jersey order? 

For the record, i view the two punters we drafted as longshots to make the team if they do in fact show up. I just think there may be a scenario where we would look at using a different punter than Legghio. If the team decides that it may improve his placekicking with less responsibility. In that case the american punters we signed would have to justify the use of a DI on a punter when we could use a global or a national. 

Even if Mike wants to play the Debbie Downer card (you really should leave that up to the pros, bro...) I'm choosing to be excited about the draft tonight. If nothing else, it means we're that much closer to camp starting and it gives us something legitimate to talk about tonight, and for the next week. Next Weds is Rookie Camp and next Sunday is Main Camp. We're almost there!! 

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Even if Mike wants to play the Debbie Downer card (you really should leave that up to the pros, bro...) I'm choosing to be excited about the draft tonight. If nothing else, it means we're that much closer to camp starting and it gives us something legitimate to talk about tonight, and for the next week. Next Weds is Rookie Camp and next Sunday is Main Camp. We're almost there!! 

This.  The draft means we are another step closer to the off-season being finished. We're now talking days instead of weeks or months.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I never said there aren’t quality players. Of course there are quality players. Overall, it’s a very weak draft class. 

Yeah because all the sure things are basically NFL guys.

Wouldn’t mind if the Bombers used an early pick on someone like Sidy Sow.

Any OL likely to make it into camp are all projects.

This is a special teams draft, and not kickers either.

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Why is it being a Debbie downer to say this is a poor draft class? It is. It’s a step below the usual tier for the reasons JBR stated.

Are there players that can help us? Sure. But I don’t see many starters in this draft unless it’s after 2-3 years of development. 

8 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Do any of the defensive players project as potential starters or even solid rotational pieces down the road?

Who would be a nice late round st pick?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Wow!!! Why do you watch, then? Still waiting for your Mock Draft.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I never said there aren’t quality players. Of course there are quality players. Overall, it’s a very weak draft class. 

Hard to be a great class with a record number of Canadian nfl draftees. I think teams making the best out of drafts like this is what winning is based on. 

Boy we are going to have a lot of punters in camp. Been a lot of debate about the roi of using a di on a kicker, but if you can split the three jobs with a Canadian and a global that’s probably the 2nd best option to have one ni that does it all. 
 Legs over all did really well punting and kicking off but struggled late and had some all too frequent flubs. Should be pretty reasonable to have one of these guys with a big leg to push him, maybe take the weight of punting and kicking off or be able to come in mid season to let legs focus on one job. 

I wonder if last years guys will be in camp too Hackett basically just had real life line up poorly with the brief work stoppage  

38 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

100% agree. I feel like a few of the lotto ticket type nfl prospects will pay off in the long term. 
 I feel like despite being weaker it lines up pretty good for us. 

48 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

how early is early?... At this point, it looks like Sow may never come north... if you're going to take a player like that, I'd prefer it 4th round or later. 

1 hour ago, camper_2 said:

Wow!!! Why do you watch, then? Still waiting for your Mock Draft.

😂 touch grass

There’s nothing wrong with saying this is a poor draft class. So many factors and circumstances, not the least of which is that the Canadian talent is getting better and better so the NFL is taking the best.

We’re largely being left this year with undersized players, average-ish NCAA talent that turned out to be Canadian on a technicality and project players. Not to say that nothing can be made of this class of picks, but it lacks the top end talent we’ve seen in past drafts.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

😂 touch grass

There’s nothing wrong with saying this is a poor draft class. So many factors and circumstances, not the least of which is that the Canadian talent is getting better and better so the NFL is taking the best.

We’re largely being left this year with undersized players, average-ish NCAA talent that turned out to be Canadian on a technicality and project players. Not to say that nothing can be made of this class of picks, but it lacks the top end talent we’ve seen in past drafts.

Enjoy draft night... 

4 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I don't think that i made anything sound amazing. I'm just stating that its not impossible that they got something of value in an otherwise valueless slot. Much of the league doesn't value the Global draft. But the bombers are a bit different in that regard.  We have two players so far that have actually helped the team. The regular draft would go a lot faster as well if they didn't delay the announcement of picks for television and there was no opportunity to field trade offers. In theory a team that has done their due diligence should always know who they are going to select when their slot comes up. 

For the record, i view the two punters we drafted as longshots to make the team if they do in fact show up. I just think there may be a scenario where we would look at using a different punter than Legghio. If the team decides that it may improve his placekicking with less responsibility. In that case the american punters we signed would have to justify the use of a DI on a punter when we could use a global or a national. 

Agree with you Colin... I get excited about the CFL & stuff that leads up to the draft, free agency and times when we are in the off-season. The CFL in general, I truly enjoy.

Now what you have mentioned above is so accurate and I really like your response. Will these prospects make the team, who knows, but there have been prospects throughout that were found in the past that were unknowns or weren't given a snow balls chance in making a team.

There should be excitement given the success the Bombers have had with the drafting, recruiting over the past few years and taking into consideration the position that the Bombers have been selecting.