Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Well go to sask for a huge payday and play in an unproven scheme catching passes from who? On a team that is likely to miss the playoffs again with coaches and gms on the hottest...

Or take less catch passes from Zach collaros in a scheme you know you can succeed in on the odds on favourite to be in the Grey Cup again and cash some playoff money on top of the salary. I know what I would pick, but last season Lawler didn't Do that so who knows. Walters can figure it out 

To be fair, last year the Bombers basically told him they wouldn't be able to afford him (because of all the other pay raises needed) and to go get paid! This time around things are a bit different.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Well go to sask for a huge payday and play in an unproven scheme catching passes from who? On a team that is likely to miss the playoffs again with coaches and gms on the hottest...

Or take less catch passes from Zach collaros in a scheme you know you can succeed in on the odds on favourite to be in the Grey Cup again and cash some playoff money on top of the salary. I know what I would pick, but last season Lawler didn't Do that so who knows. Walters can figure it out 

It seems pretty apparent to me that Lawler loves his money just as much as he loves playing for the Bombers. He wasn't afraid to go to the tire fire that was Edmonton last year for the $.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

To be fair, last year the Bombers basically told him they wouldn't be able to afford him (because of all the other pay raises needed) and to go get paid! This time around things are a bit different.

We couldn't afford him at 300k that's for sure. I think we need to stick to that mentality this year too.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I don't know if I've seen anyone say the Bombers should go get him at that price....?

You are right, I misread one post.

TBH, I wouldn't want to pay more than 250k per for ANY receiver but if that's what it takes for Lawler on a long term deal, then so be it.

31 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Not to mention we have an OL as well, (for the RIderfans thinking that Weineke, Harris, and Lewis would fix things).

and really...It's confirmed only Wienke?...Harris isnt signed there....nor is Lewis....and I find it funny how Nye keeps tweeting how they have ravaged the Als roster....when until just the last hour they hadnt signed anyone....even their beat writers are a collection of assbags...

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

and really...It's confirmed only Wienke?...Harris isnt signed there....nor is Lewis....and I find it funny how Nye keeps tweeting how they have ravaged the Als roster....when until just the last hour they hadnt signed anyone....even their beat writers are a collection of assbags...

well, and they CAN'T sign anyone until next Tuesday.... so I mean, maybe there's gentleman's agreements (huzzah!) in place, but we all know **** can change between now and next week...they're really talking like a lot of stuff is a done deal when it can't legally be until next Tues.

And you still don't have a ******* OL! 

19 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It seems pretty apparent to me that Lawler loves his money just as much as he loves playing for the Bombers. He wasn't afraid to go to the tire fire that was Edmonton last year for the $.

I'm reading all these posts and thinking back to last year and the conversations... No more than 225 for Lawler, I believe I read... And so it was, 300,000 so dollars, Lawler left for greenier pastures to Edmonton.. Now this year.. Lawler is exploring for top dollar again and I do understand negotiations. Both sides will be doing the back and forth, crap.... but here in Wpg, there is a salary structure that is followed and used....

So, first and most important, we have #10 back and signed for 3 years. Happy, happy here!! It appears #83 probably will be back and that was something to watch last year... Yep, I said wow, many times!!! Nice find there scouting staff, as well... Now in saying that, #83 I think will get a bump in his compensation, which is first thing ahead of any incoming receiver, even if its Lawler... Don't get me wrong, I like Lawler as a Bomber, want him back, but at 1 million over 3, I don't think so... 

Again, over the last few weeks, we talked about our listed roster receivers playing a more important role, plus other potential receivers coming here to Wpg... the likes of Wieneke (Als) from MN, Steven Sunbar Jr (Cats) and Reggie White Jr (Als), who could provide the necessary level of play for out team and very much affordable. That number of 225 still sounds better than 333000/year, when you have #10, #83, #82 locked up and the likes of #84, #14 ready to go and #88 wanting to sign.

Sadly, I must say, for that last receiver, the talent is available elsewhere! This is a great organization, players do want to come here.

For me (not that my opinion matters) 250K for a receiver is as high as I'd like to go... and only for a certain few players... Lawler being one of them... I'll be happy if we can get him for 3 years, 750K.... but I trust Walters to do what's best for the team

In this scenario... and if Schoen can replicate his 2022 numbers... then we're probably looking at 500+ for two receivers...

10 minutes ago, bearpants said:

For me (not that my opinion matters) 250K for a receiver is as high as I'd like to go... and only for a certain few players... Lawler being one of them... I'll be happy if we can get him for 3 years, 750K.... but I trust Walters to do what's best for the team

In this scenario... and if Schoen can replicate his 2022 numbers... then we're probably looking at 500+ for two receivers...

Agree with... but that 250 number is high, just saying... but last year you had Jones and BC throwing crazy money and this year its Sask... But, they have to try and please their fan base, I get that...

BC turned it around because of Rourke more than the receivers (time will tell this year), Edm showed some improvement with their host of signing throughout the season. This year so far, the crazy/nutty show is happening in Sask but because they have a healthy fan base, they have money to throw away...

24 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I don't want to talk numbers and reality. I just want some time to daydream about Schoen, Demski and Lawler catching passes from ZC and nobody being able to stop our offense.

And how about Brady O with another year of experience? 

9 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Fair- but if you look at the NFL it is more common.

Also, Lawler honestly was the reason Edmonton even got close to being in games last year. 

True, but for the Bombers, paying Lawler $300K is a big overpay.  Other good receivers on the team plus Brady and so only so many footballs to throw around.

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

His name was Milt and you guys seemed to be just fine with paying him (what was at the time) money on par with quarterbacks.

True, but most of those weren't winning seasons.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Agree, when has grossly over-paying a receiver ever worked out.

I will say that most of the bloating receiving contracts we've seen crash and burn recently have been a receiver leaving a successful situation for the big pay day and not delivering.

Do we honestly think that Collaros and Lawler wouldn't do special things if they were back together?