Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

Pefect value for Demski...he got fair value he was happy with and didnt hold team over barrel like some other former home town guy...that average of 190k means he likely around 170..180k for this yr...which gives us some nice wiggle room for a big splash with someone...I almost think Lawler is here with or with out Schoen...who I believe will also be back....our ability to retain guys for less than market value, but on fair deals they ahppy with to be part of this squad is huge...the players here know it as they play for each other, and do what is needed for overall team success...not just personal glory and lining of pocket

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It is exactly the limit of what I wanted to pay - though it sounds like it'll get higher in each year.

I'm betting it prob 185K tops this year...10K bump each of next 2....

Edited by Booch

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Pefect value for Demski...he got fair value he was happy with and didnt hold team over barrel like some other former home town guy...that average of 190k means he likely around 170..180k for this yr...which gives us some nice wiggle room for a big splash with someone...I almost think Lawler is here with or with out Schoen...who I believe will also be back....our ability to retain guys for less than market value, but on fair deals they ahppy with to be part of this squad is huge...the players here know it as they play for each other, and do what is needed for overall team success...not just personal glory and lining of pocket

I'm betting it prob 185K tops this year...10K bump each of next 2....

Look, Harris overvalued himself for sure, and we all KNOW their was some concern about his conditioning and FIFO in his last year there. However, Demski wasn't much of a home town discount. It is just a hair below what he would have gotten on the open market imo.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Yes, but if it escalates then he plays this year below 190k because it averages 190k...that means that one year at least has to be below that if it is to escalate every year.

yup...great value for this yr...and likely next too

Just now, wpgallday1960 said:

Damn, I wish I was as good at math as you.

LOL

Just now, Booch said:

yup...great value for this yr...and likely next too

Yea...it's a fair contract for everyone. As for Lawler vs Schoen? It makes no sense to believe that Schoen has any bearing on our interest in Lawler...at least from an SMS perspective. Schoen is still under contract on a rookie deal. If we want Lawler it will be because we want him and can afford him but is not an either/or with Schoen. Although, Schoen's departure would certainly expedite our need at receiver.

51 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Just my personal opinion, but I think Schoen would be the biggest "add" to this roster and I have a lot of appreciation for Kenny Lawler's talent.

Would also love to see a really solid add at DT.  

Schoen is under contract right now. He is not an add at all. However, he could be a very notable subtraction for sure.

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yes, but if it escalates then he plays this year below 190k because it averages 190k...that means that one year at least has to be below that if it is to escalate every year.

For sure, I'm just looking ahead to 2025 when we'll probably want to stack the roster.

44 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

3 year deal. Some of his 3rd year is probably guaranteed. Pretty much rides him into retirement as a Bomber.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

For sure, I'm just looking ahead to 2025 when we'll probably want to stack the roster.

Fair enough. SMS should go up with the new American TV deal coming.

If Schoen signs down south.....Lawler is a lock here...If Schoen is back, on his current deal...or a restructured extended deal...which is likely as his NFL window would effectively be closed now....I still think Lawler is a very likely landing spot...especially if you toss away Ellingson and Bailey's combined total of around 260/270k....You have Schoen..Lawler..Woli and Demski making decent money and an Agodusi/Heiligh or some other possible rookie stud filling in the 5th slot at entry level $$....the metrics work

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

If Schoen signs down south.....Lawler is a lock here...If Schoen is back, on his current deal...or a restructured extended deal...which is likely as his NFL window would effectively be closed now....I still think Lawler is a very likely landing spot...especially if you toss away Ellingson and Bailey's combined total of around 260/270k....You have Schoen..Lawler..Woli and Demski making decent money and an Agodusi/Heiligh or some other possible rookie stud filling in the 5th slot at entry level $$....the metrics work

I'd rather have Lewis than Lawler tbh. More polished route runner IMO.

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

Schoen AND Lawler? I'd need a second pair of shorts if that happens.....

44 minutes ago, Booch said:

That's how I see it too. The fact that Schoen hasn't inked anything yet leads me to believe that he will be back for sure. NFL offers have a very rapid window for guys like him. If you don't sign it right away they move onto the next guy. Each NFL teams has a dozen Dalton Schoens at the ready. It's not like he was offered a contract and given a couple weeks to mull it over and it has been a few weeks since his workouts. I believe that unless a fresh receiver signing injures himself in the next week or so and the NFL circles back, that Schoen's window has effectively closed.

At this point, even if one of the NFL teams he worked out for comes in with an offer, it will be a very weak sauce TCF type of deal. NFL teams don't give players they like weeks to find another team. I am quite sure Schoen knows this as it is not his first rodeo. Going to an NFL camp as TCF, there is literally nothing you can do to make the team short of catching the coach on video doing something illegal and blackmailing him.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

He's always looking for the cash, that boy......Not a bad add if we're interested

Good player...we don't need him. 

36 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I feel like he's had more. But I could be wrong. Either way, you'd think if a deal was going to be done...it would have been done by now. 

Yea...that's my thought too. Unless they circle back to him just before Feb 14, but even if they do it will be a crap offer to be a training camp body. If they wanted him for real, he'd be signed by now. The NFL acts quick when they want a player. Either way, he will be a Bomber this year for sure. Either on his rookie contract as an early NFL cut or he comes to camp and maybe we extend him.

Edited by GCn20

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

That's how I see it too. The fact that Schoen hasn't inked anything yet leads me to believe that he will be back for sure. NFL offers have a very rapid window for guys like him. If you don't sign it right away they move onto the next guy. Each NFL teams has a dozen Dalton Schoens at the ready. It's not like he was offered a contract and given a couple weeks to mull it over and it has been a few weeks since his workouts. I believe that unless a fresh receiver signing injures himself in the next week or so and the NFL circles back, that Schoen's window has effectively closed.

At this point, even if one of the NFL teams he worked out for comes in with an offer, it will be a very weak sauce TCF type of deal. NFL teams don't give players they like weeks to find another team. I am quite sure Schoen knows this as it is not his first rodeo. Going to an NFL camp as TCF, there is literally nothing you can do to make the team short of catching the coach on video doing something illegal and blackmailing him.

and not 27 yr old receivers...who was already passed on....our gain, and he can forge a nice career up here and make more than decent money doing so...he barring injury has a good solid 5...6 yrs in him here and being a main fixture

22 minutes ago, Stickem said:

He's always looking for the cash, that boy......Not a bad add if we're interested

True but he also always ends up on really good teams. I feel like this will probably be the most affordable deal since his rookie contract. Being a similar age to jj and Wj it’d be a great longevity move for all three. plus close friends with Wj doesn’t hurt.  
 I don’t expect it to actually happen but it’d be nice. Maybe slide hansen back to lber. 

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

True but he also always ends up on really good teams. I feel like this will probably be the most affordable deal since his rookie contract. Being a similar age to jj and Wj it’d be a great longevity move for all three. plus close friends with Wj doesn’t hurt.  
 I don’t expect it to actually happen but it’d be nice. Maybe slide hansen back to lber. 

giphy.gif