Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Intention, I believe.

But obviously Lawler has a certain expectation when it comes to salary so I just don't completely buy that it was a "done deal".

I am incredibly excited at the thought of another 3 year deal though.

yeah..wasnt done....but would have gotten done...and likely before Jan as we had 2022 money to off-set 2023 sms

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd love to have Lawler back but not at that price. Hopefully we find a new that works for both sides.

doubt anyone will meet that....that would cripple your roster when u have save for the BC situation last year prob north of 700k invested in 2 players..at bare miniumum....and it likely be north of 800k 

Edited by Booch

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah..wasnt done....but would have gotten done...and likely before Jan as we had 2022 money to off-set 2023 sms

doubt anyone will meet that....that would cripple your roster when u have save for the BC situation last year prob north of 700k invested in 2 players..at bare miniumum....and it likely be north of 800k 

Yea. I think that our ability to pay Lawler for the next 3 would have been much easier had we been able to up front a ton of his cash before January.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Get him on the roster and restructure as you go.

Yea...but not at 330k. I want to see what Lawler/Schoen in the same receiving corps would look like...BADLY...but that's just too much. However, if Schoen leaves and I'm sure Walter must have a pretty good idea on that, it changes our need dramatically.

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

Lawler at 250k is about what I’d like to see, any more than that would be unnecessary to me.

We still have Schoen to re-up next year.

yeah...I was thinking 275...285....with a nice playoff bonus top up...300k would be max I'd want in yr 3....hopefully they work out something similar...as he wont get guaranteed money u can fatten the back end...and give him some performance targets to fuel his fire in yr 1 and 2...I know Walters doesn't like to do that...but for one guy...wont hamper u much

Just now, GCn20 said:

Yea...but not at 330k. I want to see what Lawler/Schoen in the same receiving corps would look like...BADLY...but that's just too much.

Oh, obviously that's out of the question. 

I said earlier that the most I see anyone offering him is in the 275 range, so like Mike said, try to get him for 250.

Just now, GCn20 said:

Yea...but not at 330k. I want to see what Lawler/Schoen in the same receiving corps would look like...BADLY...but that's just too much.

toss in some Demski and Agudosi like how we used him in that CGY game....who do u double up on...and then you need to deal with BO pulverizing defenses with his running

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Oh, obviously that's out of the question. 

I said earlier that the most I see anyone offering him is in the 275 range, so like Mike said, try to get him for 250.

I don't think we land him for 250k. I have a feeling 275k is the bottom end of what we can expect with idiots like O'Day making unproven and over the hill  players the among the highest paid in the league,

Mind you, our 275k is Edmonton and SSK's 300k because of the certainty of playoff cash.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

I don't think we land him for 250k. I have a feeling 275k is the bottom end of what we can expect with idiots like O'Day making unproven and over the hill  players the among the highest paid in the league,

Gotta take a hair cut if you wanna join a dynasty in the making. Add playoff bonus into the mix and cost of living, etc, and its probably pretty close to 300K.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Mind you, our 275k is Edmonton and SSK's 300k because of the certainty of playoff cash.

yeah that Lanier money still makes me shake my head...especially when they had to add that TC bonus to be in shape and healthy...red flags for me all over that

and sure pay huge for one of Lawler or Lewis....but what else they have under contract...Middling Canadians like McInnis..Lenius and Harty...and the kid they drafted....Evans is done and garbage...Duke is...well we all know what Duke is...Moore is not a guy to build an offence around....and those 3 are all unsigned, and just "talk" of landing Harris...who won't be a saviour there anyway...lots of if s ands or buts there...and still...no O-line....if they plan to go hard in FA to try and fix that....2 guys would be a start...and would prob be a 410k hit at minimum....it's a real mess there....and self inflicted...and they deserve it for not cleaning house end of 2022 from GM on down

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Problem is that the Riders will likely set the market in the next day or two with an eye popping 350k offer to Lewis.

250k plus play off money. And I think most people learned that soo much money to a wr means you don’t have a lot of support around you. 300k+ deals mean you are going to be catching suicide tosses over the middle into big hits. 250k plus play off money catching precise passes at the side lines and in the end zone. Not a hard choice imo.  

I’d even go 100k over what we gave ellingson if some of it is incentive based bonus money. 

I feel like Bailey might price him self out of being a bomber too. 

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

He made 305 last year. He isn’t going to be had for 250 unfortunately.

Mike Reilly renegotiated his deal then hobbled off into the sun set. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

250k plus play off money. And I think most people learned that soo much money to a wr means you don’t have a lot of support around you. 300k+ deals mean you are going to be catching suicide tosses over the middle into big hits. 250k plus play off money catching precise passes at the side lines and in the end zone. Not a hard choice imo.  

I’d even go 100k over what we gave ellingson if some of it is incentive based bonus money. 

I feel like Bailey might price him self out of being a bomber too. 

We have the luxury of sober thought in our organization. Other GMs are in straight up survival mode and don't care what the crippling contracts they sign today might do next year, or the year after because they are just trying to survive this one. Unfortunately, these are the guys that set the market as a general rule. Do you think Jeremy O'Day cares that his plan may fail? He doesn't have a plan. He is going to throw wads of money at band-aids to buy time. One of those band-aids is going to be Eugene Lewis, and I would bet a million dollars that it will be well over 300k per. Unfortunately, for us Lawler is Lewis's equal and it will be very tough to convince him to take far less that Lewis will get.

Edited by GCn20

21 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Problem is that the Riders will likely set the market in the next day or two with an eye popping 350k offer to Lewis.

Well go to sask for a huge payday and play in an unproven scheme catching passes from who? On a team that is likely to miss the playoffs again with coaches and gms on the hottest...

Or take less catch passes from Zach collaros in a scheme you know you can succeed in on the odds on favourite to be in the Grey Cup again and cash some playoff money on top of the salary. I know what I would pick, but last season Lawler didn't Do that so who knows. Walters can figure it out 

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Love Lawler, but I’m good on 3 years at $300k.

Hope we work out something more reasonable than that. 

This last half hour, we have all been pretty excited about this news. However, just last year we were thankful that Walters never paid that kind of cash for a receiver. What has changed?