Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

1 hour ago, White Out said:

There was nothing quite as insufferable as watching people clamor to defend someone who is clearly over his skis as a kicker, missing extra points as a routine and likely costing us a Grey Cup last year. As many warned was a likely scenario 

Almost as bad as people who can't seem to understand that a blocked kick is rarely the fault of the kicker.

9 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

So Lunsford was the 70s answer to Brendan Taman? 

yeah the only difference was that Lunsford just hung out at Bonanza on Pembina for the all you eat salad bar and soft serve ice cream as Subway hadn't been invented yet.

6 hours ago, Stickem said:

I like the combo of Sergio and Leggs.....The kid still has learning years and Castillo definitely affords him that....It was a successful team in 21' ....should be again.....Another solid Leg-up for the Bombers in 23'.....(pardon the pun)

and they already have won us a cup, so we know they can do it.  I'm comfortable if they want to be the new Cameron/Kennerd 2.0, just keep bringing home the hardware boys.

38 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Almost as bad as people who can't seem to understand that a blocked kick is rarely the fault of the kicker.

It’s crazy how that is the play that sticks with people vs stuff like the awful pick thrown by prukop. Or that call. Or collaros play in the grey cup. Soo many awful plays and performances to pick through. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

It’s crazy how that is the play that sticks with people vs stuff like the awful pick thrown by prukop. Or that call. Or collaros play in the grey cup. Soo many awful plays and performances to pick through. 

I can see why it sticks out. I don't get why people think Legs is responsible for blocking the defense. 

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah the only difference was that Lunsford just hung out at Bonanza on Pembina for the all you eat salad bar and soft serve ice cream as Subway hadn't been invented yet.

and they already have won us a cup, so we know they can do it.  I'm comfortable if they want to be the new Cameron/Kennerd 2.0, just keep bringing home the hardware boys.

I was part the original crew that worked at Bonanza. We opened in November 1973. I was in Grade 12. Winnipeggers loved the place. Man, were we busy!!!

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

I absolutely said something along the lines of "If you're blaming Liegghio for the GC loss you are a moron or you didn't watch the game"..... that is 100% something I'd say, and I stand by it. This "he's clearly over his head" is such a crock of bullshit from dummies who really don't understand what they're looking at, or choose to ignore ACTUAL facts, like the fact that Casey Sayles whiffed badly on a block, which caused the last kick to be partially blocked. But there's a lot of dummies who just see "missed kick" and scream about the 95% CIS Career kicker.....or see a missed PAT and scream..... it's just such a "I don't really know what I'm watching, but this is what it seems like to me" thing......

I don't know how to look up previous posts. But this was way before the grey cup and the comment stuck with me because it was a tantrum on your behalf because someone disagreed with you. It turns out, those posters were right and the kicking game did cost us in the end. And Walter's agreed. 

So really, who's the one who lacked judgement? Was it us or you.

12 minutes ago, CodyT said:

I don't know how to look up previous posts. But this was way before the grey cup and the comment stuck with me because it was a tantrum on your behalf because someone disagreed with you. It turns out, those posters were right and the kicking game did cost us in the end. And Walter's agreed. 

So really, who's the one who lacked judgement? Was it us or you.

Kicking did not lose us the gc. It didn’t win it for us but blocking is what failed on the final kick. He could’ve shanked that ball for a single and sent it to ot. 
 A lot of things lost us the game not the least of which was a horrible performance by our reigning mop and buck pierces play calls. 

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Kicking did not lose us the gc. It didn’t win it for us but blocking is what failed on the final kick. He could’ve shanked that ball for a single and sent it to ot. 
 A lot of things lost us the game not the least of which was a horrible performance by our reigning mop and buck pierces play calls. 

And I agree with that, it was a collective effort. But when posters are bringing up concerns in AUGUST about legs and you get a condescending response of

"f you wanna tell the world that you're dim and don't really understand football, you blame Legs"

you remember it. Im not a petty person but that didn't sit well with me. Amongst other comments like calling us morons for having a different opinion 

Edited by CodyT

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

I absolutely said something along the lines of "If you're blaming Liegghio for the GC loss you are a moron or you didn't watch the game"..... that is 100% something I'd say, and I stand by it. This "he's clearly over his head" is such a crock of bullshit from dummies who really don't understand what they're looking at, or choose to ignore ACTUAL facts, like the fact that Casey Sayles whiffed badly on a block, which caused the last kick to be partially blocked. But there's a lot of dummies who just see "missed kick" and scream about the 95% CIS Career kicker.....or see a missed PAT and scream..... it's just such a "I don't really know what I'm watching, but this is what it seems like to me" thing......

You mean in August, not after the grey cup 

Our qbs threw 2 picks and no tds. Willy and biggie combined for 1 defensive tackle and 1 special teams tackle. We completed 8 of 16 to demski, schoen, and Sheed for 125 yards. Our longest passing gain was 39 yards. We had a team passer rating of 45.92. Zach during the regular season had a qbr of 116.2. Grant on returns alone had 268 yards with a td. Collaros completed 2 passes in the 4th q, was sacked twice and we threw two picks in the 4th. Our whole offense put up a combined 286. In our first 4 drives we picked up 3 2 and outs and the other drive was 4 plays including the punt. 

Our defense collapsed vs a rookie qb with hardly any reps this year in the 4th q giving up the lead and game winning points. 
If you want to give legs his share of the blame, the differential on punts and kick offs was abysmal. To the point it was essentially two first downs of yards gained every time we traded any kind of kicks.
 Getting his kick blocked because a guy was not touched on a 47 yard attempt isn’t on him. 

The problem with the “Liegghio did not cost us because he is not responsible for the blocked kick” it that it creates a misleading narrative by conveniently forgetting his missed convert. Unless the snap was fumbled on that kick (and it wasn’t), that PAT miss is on him. One point lost there. We lost the game by one point. So to wash that away and focus only on the block feels as disingenuous an argument for his defenders as blaming him for the blocked FG is for his detractors.

He missed more PATs than any other kicker all season long (and also the previous year) so THAT was the concern going into the Grey Cup, and lo and behold when the chips were down he missed again (like he did twice the week before in the West Final, which cost us a net 4 points). It is a 32 yard kick, which for today’s kicker should be close to automatic, maybe one or two misses a year over the course of 50 kicks. THAT should be the discussion about his fault or not in losing the game. Not the block which seems like a red herring in trying to defend him. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The problem with the “Liegghio did not cost us because he is not responsible for the blocked kick” it that it creates a misleading narrative by conveniently forgetting his missed convert. Unless the snap was fumbled on that kick (and it wasn’t), that PAT miss is on him. One point lost there. We lost the game by one point. So to wash that away and focus only on the block feels as disingenuous an argument for his defenders as blaming him for the blocked FG is for his detractors.

He missed more PATs than any other kicker all season long (and also the previous year) so THAT was the concern going into the Grey Cup, and lo and behold when the chips were down he missed again (like he did twice the week before in the West Final, which cost us a net 4 points). It is a 32 yard kick, which for today’s kicker should be close to automatic, maybe one or two misses a year over the course of 50 kicks. THAT should be the discussion about his fault or not in losing the game. Not the block which seems like a red herring in trying to defend him. 

Statistically, Castillo missed converts at a higher percentage. 

I agree on that extra point though. He missed it. 

Some thing gordo mentioned in the tc thread that I missed entirely with the pick up of Castillo is we also signed barrington wade a lber that’s been on our nl for a good year I believe.  

https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2022/6/9/23147575/broncos-roster-barrington-wade

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/barrington-wade-player-profile-2022-outlook

hes an insane athlete, plays much much stronger than his listed size. Hasn’t gotten a ton of reps from college or the nfl on D, but is a guy that if he picks up the game reasonably quickly could be a di for teams this year. His game really projects well to the cfl. 

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm going to be somewhere in the middle in all this - because our kicking was not good enough last year. Full stop. But, our team should still have won the Grey Cup and everyone failed to show up. 

But you keep bringing up his CIS stats like it means anything at all. It doesn't. Every player in the league killed it in college, that's why they believe they can play pro. But it doesn't mean anything once you're here - especially 2/3 years in.

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Lol I mean. Physics says otherwise but ok

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Lol I mean. Physics says otherwise but ok

No, I'm serious. You can't put more into it depending on yardage as a kicker. You'll end up punching the ball. Shanking it. Or kicking a line drive. It has to be the same everytime. Now, things like angle, wind & field conditions play into that. But the actual kick is always the same. So, I'm talking about consistency. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27