2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Saturdays including the Grey Cup? 

They should force TSN to put the Grey Cup on CTV

GC still on Sunday...just other playoff games on Sat. Tried it in '08 and it was a disaster. Not well received. We'll see how 2.0 version goes.....

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

I like Saturdays better... opens up a better party atmosphere for the game (I know, tell that to the 31,000 strong in Winnipeg last Sunday).... but the biggest thing is if you want to try and get more eyeballs... why bother competing with the NFL??

Yeah, that's fair...I can't think of a reason playoff games NEED to be on Sunday, other than a perceived "prestige" of playoffs always being on Sunday afternoon. But as someone who's traveled to the West Final the last two years, this would make my travel schedule a bit easier. And having a post-game celebration is easier on a Sat night than on a Sunday night (but thankful for Irish Paul for staying open for cellys last weekend...) 

BTW... you know what's weird... I can specifically remember the 08 East final...  it was against Edmonton and they were to first team to ever win a cross-over game... led to blowing it up for the Mike Kelly regime... fun times

But the one thing I don't remember... is that the game was played on Saturday... If I was betting money on it, I'd have said it was a Sunday

5 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I like Saturdays better... opens up a better party atmosphere for the game (I know, tell that to the 31,000 strong in Winnipeg last Sunday).... but the biggest thing is if you want to try and get more eyeballs... why bother competing with the NFL??

Completely agree. You can really sell the party on a Saturday night. 

Just now, greenrider55 said:

https://3downnation.com/2022/11/18/bombers-willie-jefferson-believes-chris-jones-would-have-kept-him-with-riders-unlike-jeremy-oday/

Willie wanted $210,000. O’Day wouldn’t go higher than $175,000.

All Willie has done since is dominate. And we could’ve kept him.

He signed here his first year for 165k. Didn't get his 200k until his 2nd year here. Either he came here for less money than the Riders offered or your numbers are off.

22 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Not my numbers, the article’s. 

Think Brendan got it wrong then. 

EDIT: 

Hamilton had it at 210k also....seems I had it wrong. I will freely admit it when it happens unlike some CBA quoting members on here. No doubling down on inaccurate info here.

Edited by GCn20

Not sure if anyone got a chance to check out the Waggle podcast, but Marshall Ferguson made some seriously nice points regarding Rourke:

After everything I have seen on and off the field for this kid and all the things he says in interviews and his high character- ****... count me as a huge  Nathan Rourke fan. Good kid, outstanding player... 

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

27 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

https://3downnation.com/2022/11/18/bombers-willie-jefferson-believes-chris-jones-would-have-kept-him-with-riders-unlike-jeremy-oday/

Willie wanted $210,000. O’Day wouldn’t go higher than $175,000.

All Willie has done since is dominate. And we could’ve kept him.

The only good article Brendan Mcguire has ever written.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Biggest issue with it is amateur football right up to CIS has to work around it and lots of CFL facilities are shared.

What happens when the Bisons and Bombers have to host playoff games the same weekend?

Access to IGF is almost nil for amateur football below the Bisons now with the addition of the soccer team.

They could play on Sunday.

Man i would love for the CFL to get a TV series like F1. The CFL is so unique with the route players take to get here, to the challenges of playing in a Canadian league, to the actual game itself.

I think it would make for some good story telling and would actually garner new fans. It's done wonders for F1. A guy I work with said his son was having an F1 party today at 7 am. He asked if I had seen the show. 

5 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Man i would love for the CFL to get a TV series like F1. The CFL is so unique with the route players take to get here, to the challenges of playing in a Canadian league, to the actual game itself.

I think it would make for some good story telling and would actually garner new fans. It's done wonders for F1. A guy I work with said his son was having an F1 party today at 7 am. He asked if I had seen the show. 

Would be the pro version of Last Chance U.

What will **** it up is the media deal with Bell.  Ideally you get a show on Netflix because then everyone will see it.  There’s a great opportunity to hook in Americans too, following the stories of guys who are American and quite often players at big NCAA schools.  But whatever the CFL does it will be buried on TSN and Crave where only existing fans will seek it out.

50 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Would be the pro version of Last Chance U.

What will **** it up is the media deal with Bell.  Ideally you get a show on Netflix because then everyone will see it.  There’s a great opportunity to hook in Americans too, following the stories of guys who are American and quite often players at big NCAA schools.  But whatever the CFL does it will be buried on TSN and Crave where only existing fans will seek it out.

This is a problem. If TSN/Bell can't see how this is beneficial for even them to have it on a major streaming platform like Netflix then the CFL needs to find another partner. 

We talk about ESPN 2 and all this **** that nobody watches. But the best route into the hearts of people is to get them involved in the backstories and history of the CFL. 

**** I feel irked this morning by your comment. You're right, unfortunately. But what a piss off