2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's like trying to correct anti-vaxers. Show them the information in black and white and they say 'I don't believe it' & 'What If' & 'You don't know for sure' & 'You're beating a dead horse'. You can't use facts to convince people who 'don't agree' with the facts. FTR: the CBA says what the options are for 3rd year draft picks & a  NEW contract that supersedes the CBA rules for 3rd year draft picks ain't one of them.

Folks who hoped that Rourke got hurt again so they could TOLDYASO me are now hoping that Rourke comes back to the CFL next year and gets a new big contract so they can TOLDYASO me. 🙄

I doubt that Rourke comes back to the CFL next year, but if he does & he gets more than the $80k-ish that the CBA states, it will be because the CFL gives BC an out from the CBA. I think that would be fair for everyone involved & I think the next CBA should be modified to allow for draft picks to make what they are worth to the teams who draft them.

No one is denying what the cba says about an option year. Only disagreeing with your understanding of the situation. Nice to see you slide in an out for yourself in there too. Well done. 

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's like trying to correct anti-vaxers. Show them the information in black and white and they say 'I don't believe it' & 'What If' & 'You don't know for sure' & 'You're beating a dead horse'. You can't use facts to convince people who 'don't agree' with the facts. FTR: the CBA says what the options are for 3rd year draft picks & a  NEW contract that supersedes the CBA rules for 3rd year draft picks ain't one of them.

Folks who hoped that Rourke got hurt again so they could TOLDYASO me are now hoping that Rourke comes back to the CFL next year and gets a new big contract so they can TOLDYASO me. 🙄

I doubt that Rourke comes back to the CFL next year, but if he does & he gets more than the $80k-ish that the CBA states, it will be because the CFL gives BC an out from the CBA. I think that would be fair for everyone involved & I think the next CBA should be modified to allow for draft picks to make what they are worth to the teams who draft them.

Funny that you mentioned anti-vaxxers and then go on to say something as dumb as this lol. "If I'm wrong, it's because there's a conspiracy at foot!!"

15 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Collaros too.

When the Ticats traded for his rights to beat free agency he was clearly on the way up and ready to start.  Had just led Toronto for half the season while Ricky Ray was out.

Burris and Collaros both led the Ticats to Grey Cup appearances.

I don't believe BLM would be an upgrade on Evans.

Knowing BLM probably won't go to a team that doesn't guarantee a full-time starting role for him, maybe not an upgrade but maybe a complement to Dane?

34 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

What are the options for the 3rd year on rookie contracts again? The team declines it or the team exercises the option and gets the player for an additional year at $80k? It would be too bad if the Lions refuse to exercise their option for a 3rd year and Rourke can't sign a new contract to play in the CFL next year, he's a pretty exciting player.

Edited by KshyGuy

8 minutes ago, KshyGuy said:

What are the options for the 3rd year on rookie contracts again? The team declines it or the team exercises the option and gets the player for an additional year at $80k? It would be too bad if the Lions refuse to exercise their option for a 3rd year and Rourke can't sign a new contract to play in the CFL next year, he's a pretty exciting player.

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Rourke will make more on the PR in the NFL than coming back to the CFL next year.

Sounds like he wants to contribute on the field and probably wouldn't accept the P.R. route even if the pay is better, surely one of 20 NFL teams interested is smart enough to step up and make him an offer.  

https://www.bclions.com/2022/11/15/season-wrap-up-nathan-rourke/

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Sounds like he wants to contribute on the field and probably wouldn't accept the P.R. route even if the pay is better, surely one of 20 NFL teams interested is smart enough to step up and make him an offer.  

Tburg is wrong. I know he's assuming he's correct about that entire CBA thing. But he isn't AND Rourke will be offered min 500k next year. If he wants to get paid, sitting on the PR isn't the place to be.

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

What that says about the Ticats franchise..... A broken down shadow of himself version of BLM..... Who says he's going to test FA before signing anywhere. Oi vey no wonder you lose every damn year... 

BLM said himself he'll wait till F.A. before making his decision, he wants to maximize his value on what is likely his last contract.  I think it'll come down to the Lions or the Ti-Cats as he is only considering competitive destinations.

While speaking on the Barnburner podcast, Mitchell said that he would listen to the Ticats' pitch, but still wants to see what other offers are available. 

"I want to hear their pitch and what's going on there, but what I said two days ago before the West Final is I want to go into free agency. I want to find out what the offers are," Mitchell said. "I want to find out where the coaches are going to end up, I want to find out where some players are going to end up and who is even going to make it to free agency as a player. At this point in my career, I'm not going to fight over a certain amount of money with a different team. It's more to me. I want to build on the legacy I've started." 

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

BLM said himself he'll wait till F.A. before making his decision,

Yeah, apologies, my post reads poorly....I meant "the Ticats calling him the biggest trade in franchise history is ridiculous because BLM himself says he'll be going to FA"....I just phrased it poorly.

2 hours ago, KshyGuy said:

If a player has their option declined they are a free agent in February.

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Read the CBA. It says that there is an option in the 3rd year for draft picks and says what that option is. The options caps the draft picks salary. It doesn't allow BC to pay him what he deserves. He gets around 80K if he stays in the CFL. He gets $280K USD on the NFL PR.

Debunked doesn't mean 'I don't think it means what it says in black and white' in the CBA.

I'm not arguing. I'm explaining why you're wrong.

And why can’t they decline the option and sign the player to an extension?

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah I know I was just taking the piss.

If the BC Lions decline his options there will be some sort of gentlemen's agreement between them and Rourke though. Won't prevent Jeremy O'day from taking notes about the Carlos Boozer incident in Cleveland though I'm sure 🤣

37 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

but it's not better...so makes sesne to be up here for a yr..2...making cash..then revisit...Max he can maje full yr down there as a player with less than 2 yrs is about 280k after exchange

11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

And why can’t they decline the option and sign the player to an extension?

they can...its exactly what option is...u have the choice to continue with that entry contract...or the "option" to cut him...or the "option" to extend with new terms....again...key word...option....if there was no "option" it would be called a "rookie 3 yr binding entry deal"

Section 9.02 Length of First Contracts (starting in 2020)
(a) National Players - All Nationals will be required to sign a minimum 2 + 1 first contract and follow the salary grid at outlined below:
“A” Grid – 1
st or 2nd round C.F.L. Draft Choice:

1st Year 2nd Year
Max. - Min. Salary $65,000 $65,000 Option year base salary to
be negotiated - not to exceed
10% more than the 2nd year base salary
Max. Sign or Housing (Optional) $7,500 $7,500
50% + 1 based on offence and defence snaps
(Optional)
$7,500 $7,500

Option year doesn't mean 'Can ignore the CBA' or 'Allowed to offer a new contract that's more money then the salary grid'. It doesn't even mean 'can offer a new contract' because teams can offer a new contract to every player except a Canadian Draft Pick on their first contract at any time, no matter if it's an option year or not. They can even offer a new contract during the season. Option simply means that the team can tell the player to play out the option year at the agreed upon contract & the players option is to play or sit for the year.

We can end this disagreement right now. Just show me in the CBA where they say that teams can offer Canadian Draft Picks on their first contract a new contract in the 3rd year that exceeds the CBA.

9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Option year doesn't mean 'Can ignore the CBA' or 'Allowed to offer a new contract that's more money then the salary grid'. It doesn't even mean 'can offer a new contract' because teams can offer a new contract to every player except a Canadian Draft Pick on their first contract at any time, no matter if it's an option year or not. They can even offer a new contract during the season. Option simply means that the team can tell the player to play out the option year at the agreed upon contract & the players option is to play or sit for the year.

We can end this disagreement right now. Just show me in the CBA where they say that teams can offer Canadian Draft Picks on their first contract a new contract in the 3rd year that exceeds the CBA.

That's literally an option in every contract for every player lol. As in, player in 1st year of a 2 yr contract, goes to GM and says, I wanna renegotiate my contract...GM says, no thanks....player 100% has the choice (or option) to say fine...im not going to play. GM says fine...enjoying sitting for the last year of your contract.

Edited by Bigblue204

18 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's literally an option in every contract for every player lol. As in, player in 1st year of a 2 yr contract, goes to GM and says, I wanna renegotiate my contract...GM says, no thanks....player 100% has the choice (or option) to say fine...im not going to play. GM says fine...enjoying sitting for the last year of your contract.

This kind of game of chicken has happened a chunk of times since Eric Lindros. I don’t recall it ever ending well for the team though. 
 Long term that kind of thing really hurts your ability to attract young players too.  
 If rourke is back in bc next year, it won’t be for cheap. 

29 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

thiadric hansen. They changed the rules so he could get paid more. If they did it for him, rourke will get no less. You can bet your house on that. No way do they want to have a franchise ni qb making tcf qb money. Not to mention for the lions to compete with nfl pr money he needs a big bump. Come back for 80k or make that in a heart beat down south. Come back for 500k, now that is tempting for a guy looking at a pr. 

5 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Knowing BLM probably won't go to a team that doesn't guarantee a full-time starting role for him, maybe not an upgrade but maybe a complement to Dane?

Should Mitchell land in Hamilton, and he is likely to, he will be the best quarterback in the East and the TiCats immediately become the odds-on favourite to win the division. Mitchell is not the force he once was, but he is still intelligent and knowledgeable about the CFL game. and can compensate for the loss of athleticism.

31 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

This kind of game of chicken has happened a chunk of times since Eric Lindros. I don’t recall it ever ending well for the team though. 
 Long term that kind of thing really hurts your ability to attract young players too.  

Oh I know. My point is that the "option year" in drafted players isn't there for that purpose. Because it's literally always a possibility with every player.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

The Lions have the OPTION to sign Rourke for another season at the 2+1 standard rate. What do you think happens if the Lions do not choose to use that option???

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

You don't understand what the option is.  It's a team option.  Yes they can pick it up for the terms of the option year.  The other option is to decline the next year of the contract which makes the player a free agent.

Teams decline options all the time and rip up contracts to lock guys up for longer term.

The most likely scenario for Rourke will be one of two things:

He earns himself an NFL contract and the Lions release him to pursue that opportunity.  He then becomes a free agent in the CFL if / when his time in the NFL is through.  He goes to the highest bidder (ie. most money with an organization that’s winning).

Through his workouts, he fails to earn an NFL contract and the Lions exercise his 3rd year option.  The Lions do this because from a cap management perspective it makes sense but Rourke likely won’t play on that 80K (he’d be stupid to risk his health and future on the rookie pay scale) so the Lions will work out an extension with some of that money being guaranteed / converted to a signing bonus.  In either case, his cap hit for 2023 will not be 80K.

This whole idea that Rourke will be locked into the rookie pay scale for a 3rd year option without any sort of renegotiation, holdout or risk to be lost in free agency (if released from his contract) is absolutely absurd.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

thiadric hansen. They changed the rules so he could get paid more. If they did it for him, rourke will get no less. You can bet your house on that. No way do they want to have a franchise ni qb making tcf qb money. Not to mention for the lions to compete with nfl pr money he needs a big bump. Come back for 80k or make that in a heart beat down south. Come back for 500k, now that is tempting for a guy looking at a pr. 

That's a completely different situation though.  Regardless of whether a player was signing as a draft pick or a free agent they had capped the salaries of the Global players.

There's no cap on Rourke's salary moving forward since he's played out the 2 years of the rookie deal.