Pre-Season Game 2 - Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan - Tuesday May 31

Rich

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Just ignore 17to85. He was all in on Joe Mack’a kool-aid and the whole “IMWT” nonsense so has always blamed LaPo for that regime’s failure to salvage his credibility for backing a loser.  Speed I’m not sure, but seems to be mad at something every now and again. And Booch knows a guy. Brandon always loved the back-up so Nichols was his target. And both had their strong points and their flaws. Love them, hate them, who cares? We will always have the 2019 Grey Cup championship that they were both a part of, whatever credit you want to give them or not. Time to move on to new discussions. 

Every now and again? 

Let’s just remember. Our offence was a complete joke before Lapo came in. Amongst the worst in the league. We were 12-24 into the O’Shea era. Sure we were able to build in free agency and some guys came into their own but we went from 5-13 to  seasons of 11-7, 12-6, 10-8 and 11-7 respectfully. Like it or not we won a lot of games once we got a capable coordinator and QB. 

Just now, bigg jay said:

Every now and again? 

Only the days that end in “Y”. Or so I’m told. 

I actually like Speed’s take on many things, and he is a true long-time fan who knows the history of the club. And we can agree that LaPo was conservative, but disagree as to if he regressed his talent and it cost us games or played to the the strengths of the personnel he had and put up a winning record. In the end, the offence under his guidance won us our first Grey Cup in 29 years so that’s all I care about. 

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Let’s just remember. Our offence was a complete joke before Lapo came in. Amongst the worst in the league. We were 12-24 into the O’Shea era. Sure we were able to build in free agency and some guys came into their own but we went from 5-13 to  seasons of 11-7, 12-6, 10-8 and 11-7 respectfully. Like it or not we won a lot of games once we got a capable coordinator and QB. 

There's no way of knowing for sure but I attribute the turnaround on O to Nichols. I wanna say single handedly, but that's an exaggeration. Nichols was the primary reason though. 

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I think we won more games despite our OC...not a fan of no-balls in play calling....he's had some success yes....can't deny it....but isnt this grand wizard that many make him out to be....lost in this too...is that Buck had way more input into what went on with the offence then many know, or give credit for....there is a reason our offence was way better, and way more rounded and balanced last year...cause the shackles were off and we played to attack teams...just look at how many receptions the running back's got last year, as opposed to Lapo years...and it wasnt a boatload of them in Lapo's time from being a read progression and nobody was open...it was the primary read, as our playmakers were most times motionless....trying to engage and set up blocks...and when teams keyed on Harris and the dump wasnt there....do u not recall us bemoaning about receiver's catching balls stationary, or basically right in front of a defender, and no yac? It's cause that scheme was piss poor and panty waisted, and we won despite it......We were lucky Harris was the beast he was and got the yards he did as our scheme was flawed and not very creative

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Only the days that end in “Y”. Or so I’m told. 

I actually like Speed’s take on many things, and he is a true long-time fan who knows the history of the club. And we can agree that LaPo was conservative, but disagree as to if he regressed his talent and it cost us games or played to the the strengths of the personnel he had and put up a winning record. In the end, the offence under his guidance won us our first Grey Cup in 29 years so that’s all I care about. 

the defence and special teams won that....the offense basically just had to play clean...and we got a monster game from Harris...wasn't from Lapo...if you wanna give credit to a coach for winning us our first cup then throw it at Hall x2....and a lesser extent the oline coach

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

As long as we can all agree that the Riders suck then we can still embrace the FIFO mantra! 

agreed....and not sure why that once a player throws on that pukey looking color....they all turn into Grad A jackoffs on the field....is it page one of the playbook and their culture?...

42 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think we won more games despite our OC...not a fan of no-balls in play calling....he's had some success yes....can't deny it....but isnt this grand wizard that many make him out to be....lost in this too...is that Buck had way more input into what went on with the offence then many know, or give credit for....there is a reason our offence was way better, and way more rounded and balanced last year...cause the shackles were off and we played to attack teams...just look at how many receptions the running back's got last year, as opposed to Lapo years...and it wasnt a boatload of them in Lapo's time from being a read progression and nobody was open...it was the primary read, as our playmakers were most times motionless....trying to engage and set up blocks...and when teams keyed on Harris and the dump wasnt there....do u not recall us bemoaning about receiver's catching balls stationary, or basically right in front of a defender, and no yac? It's cause that scheme was piss poor and panty waisted, and we won despite it......We were lucky Harris was the beast he was and got the yards he did as our scheme was flawed and not very creative

the defence and special teams won that....the offense basically just had to play clean...and we got a monster game from Harris...wasn't from Lapo...if you wanna give credit to a coach for winning us our first cup then throw it at Hall x2....and a lesser extent the oline coach

agreed....and not sure why that once a player throws on that pukey looking color....they all turn into Grad A jackoffs on the field....is it page one of the playbook and their culture?...

To build on what you said about Buck, and I think I've said it here before but I had noticed that whenever Buck was up in the booth with Lapo the team tended to play a more aggressive style of offence.  I'm so glad that Buck decided to wait it out here to get his shot as OC as I'm sure other teams tried to lure him away over the years.

Very excited to see what he'll be able to do with the offence this year.

13 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

final observation: a Joe Farigelli look alike, twin, was wondering the ditch around the field looking for bottles and cans, I’d guess. He looked pretty good! 

Might have been Joe alright,,,,but the wrong Joe.....it most likely was Joe Smith former back with us....I can't believe he's still out there pickin' cans

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What an arbitrary and somewhat ridiculous metric. 

It's not arbitrary, it is the number he has but he left some on the table with teams that were good enough to win. 2011, 2018 specifically stick in my craw as years that this team had a legit shot and were hampered by pansy assed offensive play calling.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Just ignore 17to85. He was all in on Joe Mack’a kool-aid and the whole “IMWT” nonsense so has always blamed LaPo for that regime’s failure to salvage his credibility for backing a loser.

Oh please,  I have disliked Lapo going back to the days with khari as qb.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

There's no way of knowing for sure but I attribute the turnaround on O to Nichols. I wanna say single handedly, but that's an exaggeration. Nichols was the primary reason though. 

If not Nichols it was Bond. Solidified the OL and the offense improved. Go figure right?

1 hour ago, Sard said:

To build on what you said about Buck, and I think I've said it here before but I had noticed that whenever Buck was up in the booth with Lapo the team tended to play a more aggressive style of offence.  I'm so glad that Buck decided to wait it out here to get his shot as OC as I'm sure other teams tried to lure him away over the years.

Very excited to see what he'll be able to do with the offence this year.

I know of 2 instances where Buck turned down an opportunity elsewhere...or at least interview for it, and I assume there were more

57 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's not arbitrary, it is the number he has but he left some on the table with teams that were good enough to win. 2011, 2018 specifically stick in my craw as years that this team had a legit shot and were hampered by pansy assed offensive play calling.

Oh please,  I have disliked Lapo going back to the days with khari as qb.

If not Nichols it was Bond. Solidified the OL and the offense improved. Go figure right?

Don't forget Harris. LaPo's crutch. 

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Just ignore 17to85. He was all in on Joe Mack’a kool-aid and the whole “IMWT” nonsense so has always blamed LaPo for that regime’s failure to salvage his credibility for backing a loser.  Speed I’m not sure, but seems to be mad at something every now and again. And Booch knows a guy. Brandon always loved the back-up so Nichols was his target. And both had their strong points and their flaws. Love them, hate them, who cares? We will always have the 2019 Grey Cup championship that they were both a part of, whatever credit you want to give them or not. Time to move on to new discussions. 

Do me next 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

how can anyone disagree?

nichols will always have a place on the bombers in my heart. he saved our franchise and turned it around as far as im concerned.

its surprising to me that some folks forget how close MOS was to being fired, how bad things were for the 1st several years under him. we had no reason to believe thigns were going to be better.

nichols comes in, he turns around the O, and everything just clicks. bless that man.

Edited by White Out