Pre-Season Game 2 - Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan - Tuesday May 31

Rich

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah he had a few really good drives with arizona. 

We never used streveler well. His tool set and athletic ability are tremendous but so is his work ethic and toughness. Give that guy an agreeable OC that can actually coach qbs and the helm of a team. He'll be better than fajardo and take his team to the play offs and wont lose it for them. 

I think Buck would be the best thing to happen for Strevs if and when he comes back..Lapo was slowly ruining him and making him take way too much uneccesaary contact

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think Buck would be the best thing to happen for Strevs if and when he comes back..Lapo was slowly ruining him and making him take way too much uneccesaary contact

LaPo is supposed to be this QB Guru which I never understood. He never played QB. Especially since he was a D3 receiver in college. Much like Jacques Chapdeliane who was a slot in the CFL & whose offense is a nightmare for qbs to learn & understand. 

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

LaPo is supposed to be this QB Guru which I never understood. He never played QB. Especially since he was a D3 receiver in college. Much like Jacques Chapdeliane who was a slot in the CFL & whose offense is a nightmare for qbs to learn & understand. 

Yeah...I never got the guru connection either...not sure who or how that started but TSN just took it and ran with it.

He was a decent OC but also his time here a lot of it was a product of him being lucky to have some of the exceptional personell he was provided.

Buck and his offence was leaps and bounds better and was wayyy less likely to be stalled out...and go in prolonged funks in game...I attribute a lot of that to Buck not trying to be the smartest guy in the room...and realizing that going back to what works...works best....Lapo would run a successful play..totally taking advantage of scheme/personell....and you'd never see it....again...

Edited by Booch

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah...I never got the guru connection either...not sure who or how that started but TSN just took it and ran with it.

He was a decent OC but also his time here a lot of it was a product of him being lucky to have some of the exceptional personell he was provided.

Buck and his offence was leaps and bounds better and was wayyy less likely to be stalled out...and go in prolonged funks in game...I attribute a lot of that to Buck not trying to be the smartest guy in the room...and realizing that going back to what works...works best....Lapo would run a successful play..totally taking advantage of scheme/personell....and you'd never see it....again...

Buck also challenges the opposing defenses with a much more vertical passing offense. If he can beat you deep he'll take that shot whereas with LaPo it's spread the field, run the **** out of the ball with Harris, screens & checdowns. Or throw three or four yards short of a first down & let the receiver get it on his own. He' was conservative & hardly ever took chances with his playcalling. How many times were we ten points ahead at the half only to sit on a lead in the 3rd & 4th quarter? To me, LaPo played not to lose. Buck plays to win. Huge difference. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

In the cfl buck or dinwiddie. Trestman or June jones could possibly work as well. But they are as likely to bust as boom 

I wonder if the usfl of xfl will go after him. 

35 minutes ago, Booch said:

Once again....  I think Matt Nichols being unable to throw a ball more then 10 yards was the biggest factor of LaPo's struggles with us.  With Collaros LaPo didn't have issues mixing up the play calls and calling more deep shots.   

Xfl as well will be significantly less...he wants to continue to play at the best possible $ value outside of the NFL...it's in Canada...and I bet if it came down to it for this yr..and we were outbid by someone...he would come here..unless it's an insanely crazy number...but really all teams already have their starter at starter money other than BC...so his pro rated pay will be limited ...for this yr

Crazy thought mentioned before..but if ZC was to go down early with significant injury..his salary is off the books...I wonder if Reilly would seriously consider if approached...behind this line...if not...I'd give Strev a good portion  of what collaros got and just roll with his moxy

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

Xfl as well will be significantly less...he wants to continue to play at the best possible $ value outside of the NFL...it's in Canada...and I bet if it came down to it for this yr..and we were outbid by someone...he would come here..unless it's an insanely crazy number...but really all teams already have their starter at starter money other than BC...so his pro rated pay will be limited ...for this yr

Crazy thought mentioned before..but if ZC was to go down early with significant injury..his salary is off the books...I wonder if Reilly would seriously consider if approached...behind this line...if not...I'd give Strev a good portion  of what collaros got and just roll with his moxy

Maybe. Idk If the usfl hasn’t folded by the time the xfl is signing players it’s going to need to do some thing to set it self apart. I could see them creating their scale in a way that gives them the ability to ****** some guys. 

I hope that’s true. I would love to see him back here.  

that is interesting. That itch is strong especially in a guy like him. To have the chance to come into the front runner with a great line and support would be tremendous. But the culture is tight too. He’s have to be a fifo guy. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Once again....  I think Matt Nichols being unable to throw a ball more then 10 yards was the biggest factor of LaPo's struggles with us.  With Collaros LaPo didn't have issues mixing up the play calls and calling more deep shots.   

Lapo had the same problems no matter who his qbs was over decades. Guy is a total play not to lose coach and all that gets you is goo enough to barely lose.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

We never used streveler well. His tool set and athletic ability are tremendous but so is his work ethic and toughness. Give that guy an agreeable OC that can actually coach qbs and the helm of a team. He'll be better than fajardo and take his team to the play offs and wont lose it for them. 

I love Streveler, but in 2019 when Nichols was out before we acquire Collaros, Strevs would sometimes throw some absolutely backbreaking picks. Not sure he could be a bonafide starter, his inability to pass was exposed in the latter half of 2019.

He had a fine arm before he injured his knee back in 2018. Remember in 2017 he had 4500 passing yards and 28 TD’s and 8 INT’s. I don’t like the Nichols slander! He was instrumental in shaping the current winning culture. We forget that O’Shea had a 12-24 record with Drew Willy as our starter, getting Nichols instantly added stability and we went onto win 11 games our first season with Nichols under Center.

9 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

He had a fine arm before he injured his knee back in 2018. Remember in 2017 he had 4500 passing yards and 28 TD’s and 8 INT’s. I don’t like the Nichols slander! He was instrumental in shaping the current winning culture. We forget that O’Shea had a 12-24 record with Drew Willy as our starter, getting Nichols instantly added stability and we went onto win 11 games our first season with Nichols under Center.

It is not slander if it is the truth?     Same thing happened to Khari at the end of his Bomber career... dude could not throw anymore.  

If we are going to call slander then why is it ok to slander LaPo when HE won us the grey cup as the OC while Nichols won us zero Grey Cups?  

10 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I love Streveler, but in 2019 when Nichols was out before we acquire Collaros, Strevs would sometimes throw some absolutely backbreaking picks. Not sure he could be a bonafide starter, his inability to pass was exposed in the latter half of 2019.

He forced passes because we was in the most stifling passing offense in modern football history. Streveler is not a dink and dunk passer. Plop had him doing this terrible fake rpo check down junk. He didn’t even use strevelers running ability well. 

9 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Tds do not indicate how many deep balls you throw or how well you do it. Fajardo has create a lot of tds but can’t toss a deep ball to save his life. bond came in at guard and was mol quality and hardrick went from struggling at g to excelling at rt at the same time as nichols came in. We went from 10+ pressures and 4+ sacks a game to under 2-3 pressures with games with no pressures and no sacks. Andrew Harris was averaging 2ypc behind the other ol set up. Ol turned this team around and is the basis of the success. Not qb. 

8 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Hey now, Drew Willy was instrumental too... Think of all the players we were able to afford when we fleeced TO in that trade and dumped his salary.

Most one sided trade in league history 

Edited by wbbfan

31 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He forced passes because we was in the most stifling passing offense in modern football history. Streveler is not a dink and dunk passer. Plop had him doing this terrible fake rpo check down junk. He didn’t even use strevelers running ability well. 

Tds do not indicate how many deep balls you throw or how well you do it. Fajardo has create a lot of tds but can’t toss a deep ball to save his life. bond came in at guard and was mol quality and hardrick went from struggling at g to excelling at rt at the same time as nichols came in. We went from 10+ pressures and 4+ sacks a game to under 2-3 pressures with games with no pressures and no sacks. Andrew Harris was averaging 2ypc behind the other ol set up. Ol turned this team around and is the basis of the success. Not qb. 

Strev's 2nd season it wasn't because of the dink and dunk (that was mostly Nichols)  , it was because LaPo was getting far to cute with Strev and rather then let him run a normal offense he created way to many complicated plays that ended up with him running around the field and taking far too much punishment.   It was the complete opposite of what you said.    In Strev's first season they gave him normal plays to run and it worked because he would take a few steps back and then rifle the ball down the field  (as opposed to Nichols going into panic mode and either taking a sack or dunking it off short).    

Nichols could no longer (mentally) or physically stay in a pocket (or even move around) and look down field and throw a ball.  He was good for 2 pre planned deep balls down the field and not much more.   Pre injuries Nichols when he came in could consistently make 30 yard throws with no issues.    Fajardo has never been able to throw a 30 yard or deeper ball.  I had made a post showing how before Nichols 3rd last injury he was averaging nearly 300+ yards passing per game... afterwards only like 200-225.   Dude was a completely different player after getting hurt.  

Most one sided trade in league history is Ricky Ray going to Toronto and it's not even close.   

Edited by Brandon

Back-to-back Grey Cups, record breaking defence, top ranked offence, and some here need to re-hash their 90th re-telling of the same tired 4 year old narrative of which of our Cup winning offensive personnel was the most useless and the cause of all of our championship-level misery. How about we just enjoy the rings and start a fresh take on Ambrosie’s scarves?

I swear, this board some days. 

42 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I thought the Ricky Ray to TO trade was the most one sided trade in league history.

It is not slander if it is the truth?     Same thing happened to Khari at the end of his Bomber career... dude could not throw anymore.  

If we are going to call slander then why is it ok to slander LaPo when HE won us the grey cup as the OC while Nichols won us zero Grey Cups?  

Well yeah I’m not a big fan of talking bad about Nichols or Lapo in my opinion. Both were key cogs in shaping our winning culture. Both have their short comings sure but there would be no Grey Cups without these guys in our organization. 

Strev's 2nd season it wasn't because of the dink and dunk (that was mostly Nichols)  , it was because LaPo was getting far to cute with Strev and rather then let him run a normal offense he created way to many complicated plays that ended up with him running around the field and taking far too much punishment.   It was the complete opposite of what you said.    In Strev's first season they gave him normal plays to run and it worked because he would take a few steps back and then rifle the ball down the field  (as opposed to Nichols going into panic mode and either taking a sack or dunking it off short).    

Nichols could no longer (mentally) or physically stay in a pocket (or even move around) and look down field and throw a ball.  He was good for 2 pre planned deep balls down the field and not much more.   Pre injuries Nichols when he came in could consistently make 30 yard throws with no issues.    Fajardo has never been able to throw a 30 yard or deeper ball.  I had made a post showing how before Nichols 3rd last injury he was averaging nearly 300+ yards passing per game... afterwards only like 200-225.   Dude was a completely different player after getting hurt.  

Most one sided trade in league history is Ricky Ray going to Toronto and it's not even close.   

Elaborate motion with check down routes is not an open offense. And at that it wasn’t rpo. He deployed no read. It was stretching laterally in every area of the field. Which makes it easier to defend a running qb. 

nichols never had a big arm but pre injury his arm was still pretty tame. Go back and watch the play offs in 2017. He has guys wide open tosses and they have to break then run back to the ball. He couldn’t hit guys in stride down field. Didn’t have the touch for medium long or the arm for long shots. 
 His most productive year in the 17 he averaged like 250. I think he sat the last game so a bit higher but not 300. 6 300 yard games in 16 out of 14 starts 7 in 17 with 18 ish starts 1 in 19 with 16 starts. 1 in 15 in 9 appearances. 

I'm fairly sure Nichols led the league in Deep ball completions in 2019 before his injury. People have a weird memory. Nichols is a legend afaic and was maybe the biggest key to the Bombers getting over the hump to become a winning franchise. Collaros has brought things to another level though.

Strev is a decent enough passer. I don't put too much on his mistakes throwing because that's what young QB's do for the most part. I'd be more than happy to have him back.