2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

36 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I'd sooner get rid of punting. Make everyone gamble on third down. More passing. More scoring.

It's dumb. But so is 4 downs.

Some teams in hs and college are doing this now. The analytics of value for punting is terrible.  

I would do rugby punts with 2 on side gunners every punt and go for it more on 3rd and less than 4

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Some teams in hs and college are doing this now. The analytics of value for punting is terrible.  

I would do rugby punts with 2 on side gunners every punt and go for it more on 3rd and less than 4

The analytics for kicking in US football are awful, but it's a different game.  There are 4 downs and the goal posts are 10 yards past the goal-line.  

In Canadian football both teams are always closer to scoring based on the rules of the game which makes field position far more important.

But yeah if you're coaching midget and you don't have anyone who can kick, don't kick.

32 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I've found it odd that for years now, special teams hasn't really evolved at all. It's starting to happen with punting nit just for distance and height. But it seems like there is a lot more that could be done to that side of the game.

33 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The analytics for kicking in US football are awful, but it's a different game.  There are 4 downs and the goal posts are 10 yards past the goal-line.  

In Canadian football both teams are always closer to scoring based on the rules of the game which makes field position far more important.

But yeah if you're coaching midget and you don't have anyone who can kick, don't kick.

Us rules and fields have those teams always closer to scoring not Canadian.  Just based on the longer field not even factoring in the much higher level offenses at every grass roots level. More schools in Texas and Alabama average 40 plus points than every school in Canada. 

20 hours ago, Nolby said:

I wish these awards were televised,at least something.

What a joke by TSN. Just disgraceful. The CFL Awards relegated to their You Tube channel while they replay the Western Final on their main channel & have Sports Centre on the rest. TSN is a joke of a network. They don't give a rat's ass about the CFL. 

44 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Us rules and fields have those teams always closer to scoring not Canadian.  Just based on the longer field not even factoring in the much higher level offenses at every grass roots level. More schools in Texas and Alabama average 40 plus points than every school in Canada. 

Biggest difference in kicking between the NFL & CFL is the fact kickers in the NFL have to kick the ball off the ground while CFL kickers use a tee. That's huge. Don't get rid of punting. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

33 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Bring back sacrificing virgins at half time. 
Offer raw beef at the concessions.

The 70s were lit!

---

4 out of 9 teams had new (different) HCs this year. 

How many new OCs? Winnipeg, Sask, Edmonton, BC, Ottawa, Toronto. Am I missing any?

Maybe a bit of continuity would help offensive production?

We're also seeing some pretty elite defensive playmakers, both old and young. It's a good time for defence right now. The pendulum will swing back. 

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What a joke by TSN. Just disgraceful. The CFL Awards relegated to their You Tube channel while they replay the Western Final on their main channel & have Sports Centre on the rest. TSN is a joke of a network. They don't give a rat's ass about the CFL. 

Biggest difference in kicking between the NFL & CFL is the fact kickers in the NFL have to kick the ball off the ground while CFL kickers use a tee. That's huge. Don't get rid of punting. 

I think encouraging onside rugby punts would make the game much better. 

21 minutes ago, JCon said:

The 70s were lit!

---

4 out of 9 teams had new (different) HCs this year. 

How many new OCs? Winnipeg, Sask, Edmonton, BC, Ottawa, Toronto. Am I missing any?

Maybe a bit of continuity would help offensive production?

We're also seeing some pretty elite defensive playmakers, both old and young. It's a good time for defence right now. The pendulum will swing back. 

Wish I could draw on the article explaining the unusual number of rookies in the CFL this year. 

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Both these idiots Ferguson and some other clown picking Hamilton 

Whoever the media picks loses... leafs Habs Ticats. 

Bombers are better. More than a TD win 

Clown is just the host. Not a football guy, so it's all good that he picks the underdog. He's not expected to provide analysis. But, Ferguson picks the Ticats because of karma. No analysis, just karma. I could probably find a way to make a reasonable argument that the Ticats could win and I'm just a fan. 

56 minutes ago, JCon said:

Indeed. In particular, DLs are better than OLs across league.  Some QBs are not that bad, but when they play teams like Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto, or even the Riders, the protection is just not adequate.

I really feel like the media wants to make it seem like it's a toss up, when the reality is this is just two different levels of teams. The Bombers are so much better than everyone else, the only way they lose is if they hurt themselves, and I can't see them doing that two weeks in a row. You could say that maybe they're over confident or whatever, but I refuse to believe MOS would let that happen. This is a team of destiny that is going to finish off their season properly.