Covid-19

JCon

Have to get it in before those teachers are back. They'll have three days to put together work plans for, at least, 2 weeks of remote learning. Likely, they won't go back until some time in February. 

Honestly, not sure how my fam will get through this remote learning. Busy at work and going through some family health issues that will make this round near impossible.

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

Have to get it in before those teachers are back. They'll have three days to put together work plans for, at least, 2 weeks of remote learning. Likely, they won't go back until some time in February. 

Honestly, not sure how my fam will get through this remote learning. Busy at work and going through some family health issues that will make this round near impossible.

My vote is to delay return to school and just have the teachers send a package of optional work to tide us over. **** remote learning. **** SeeSaw. **** Teams.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

Also, let's shut down schools, but we will see the same kids at hockey 4 times this week. If the announcement comes with no other restrictions I will be dumbfounded.

Sorry...extra sensitive this year. My youngest (grade 3) had his teacher leave after the first week of school for medical leave, had a substitute for a month after that, then split time between the vice principal and music teacher until Christmas, and his new permanent teacher is  finally supposed to start when they go back. Imagine switching teachers for the third time, fully remote, half way through the year. He is suffering for it so far. I need this school year to be over.

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Also, let's shut down schools, but we will see the same kids at hockey 4 times this week. If the announcement comes with no other restrictions I will be dumbfounded.

Sorry...extra sensitive this year. My youngest (grade 3) had his teacher leave after the first week of school for medical leave, had a substitute for a month after that, then split time between the vice principal and music teacher until Christmas, and his new permanent teacher is  finally supposed to start when they go back. Imagine switching teachers for the third time, fully remote, half way through the year. He is suffering for it so far. I need this school year to be over.

I am very sorry to hear that - there are many parents and kids in the same predicament

Too many teachers are needing to take leaves, and there is not always someone available to fill in

By filling in I mean more than being a body in the room

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Many kids are already checked out - from the see - sawing, remote learning and lack of extra - curricular activities

Now they'll be checked out until Spring Break - some until June 30

I have been teaching remotely- Seesaw, Teams, etc since March of 2020. I would like to think my practice as a remote teacher as well as our whole remote learning program has made huge strides since then. I think a big reason remote learning often fails is because it is suddenly thrust upon teachers with little notice (like we might see today) and with little support. Our program has been developing steadily to the point that we have extra-curricular opportunities and students and families that really appreciate it.

Its not the same as in-person learning and there are things that just can't be done the same. Unfortunately our hospitals are beyond capacity and healthcare workers are stressed beyond the limit for a few years running and we didn't make any plans ahead to flatten this "curve" to ease the burden on hospitals.

Pushing in person back 1 week so teachers/schools can prepare....even though there will be kids in school that also need to have teachers present.

And what exactly are these "extra efforts" that they're talking about? I'm betting nothing that will actually improve the chances of my kids NOT getting covid there. 1 week is not enough time to improve ventilation in every classroom in the province....which is exactly what needs getting done. Anything short of that is borderline a waste of time. COVID is not going anywhere, it's about time our leadership pulled their heads out of their asses and started realizing that.

Improved filtration for air flow in schools? No.

N95 or KN95 masks made available? No.

What exactly are educational staff going to plan for? How to magically space 20+ kids two meters in a space that can only do that for 15 students?

Reduced in person learning but outside sports is still allowed?

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Pushing in person back 1 week so teachers/schools can prepare....even though there will be kids in school that also need to have teachers present.

And what exactly are these "extra efforts" that they're talking about? I'm betting nothing that will actually improve the chances of my kids NOT getting covid there. 1 week is not enough time to improve ventilation in every classroom in the province....which is exactly what needs getting done. Anything short of that is borderline a waste of time. COVID is not going anywhere, it's about time our leadership pulled their heads out of their asses and started realizing that.

I would guess N95s for teachers and rapid test requirements for students is about the only thing they can do at this point. Plus the timing, in theory, allows more under 12s to get their second shot.

All that said, they have no plan. We seem to elect and appoint the dumbest people to public office.

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

IMO, this is 100% being done to appease some of the stakeholders.  I think the government would prefer to start on Jan. 10th, but they had give a little bit to the other parties

Masks and testing kits could be distributed this week - they shouldn't need an extra week to do that

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Hang in there. You and fam will get thru this.

13 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I would guess N95s for teachers and rapid test requirements for students is about the only thing they can do at this point. Plus the timing, in theory, allows more under 12s to get their second shot.

All that said, they have no plan. We seem to elect and appoint the dumbest people to public office.

Those are the only things they can do in 1 week. If it's to give kids a chance at getting another shot or the first, then it should be a 2 week window.

We keep pushing the inevitable back and back like COVID is going to vanish. I'm so done with our "It'll be their problem soon" type of governing which makes passing the buck to the next generation to save some $ look like the best choice. SPEND SOME ******* MONEY AND IMPROVE SOME ****!!

29 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I am suggesting that we build and place 1 or 2 Corsi-Rosenthal Boxes in each class room.

I don't know why every classroom doesn't have one or two.

I have heard that some teachers have tried to bring their own air purifiers and such into their classroom and have been told they are not allowed to use them due to possible interference with the school's HVAC system and air currents. Unfortunately there is also likely to be pushback because we seem way behind the research on airborne spread by still emphasizing 6 feet distance as a safe zone for example.

I have made something similar for personal use (with only the one filter) to try to protect my baby when we were getting loads of smoke from forest fires and adapted it for use for Covid filtering. Upgrading to the cube design seems like a pretty good idea as the initial upfront expense would pay back due to increased life expectancy of the filters.

48 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Second shot? Its 8 weeks between shots. To have a second shot by the 17th, so let's say 16th, a child would have had to have had their first shot on Nov. 22. Not possible.

Pharmacies will let you book the second shot after 4 weeks. I swear the government website used to say 8 weeks recommended, 4 weeks minimum, but now it only lists the 4 week option for First Nations.

Either way, I know plenty of kids that have already got their second, some after 4 weeks.

The CDC guideline is 3 weeks, so Canada is being overly cautious...they say due to an abundance of caution but I suspect due to a lack of supply.

Updated - December 10, 2021

A pediatric Pfizer vaccine has been approved for children aged five to 11. Manitoba has expanded vaccine eligibility to this age group.

Parents and caregivers can make first and second dose appointments for eligible children online or by calling 1-844-626-8222. This vaccine is also available from medical clinics, pharmacies and other locations

Children must be five years old at the time the appointment for the first dose is booked. The interval between first and second doses must be a minimum of eight weeks, or a minimum of 21 days for children living in First Nations communities.

Just now, rebusrankin said:

Updated - December 10, 2021

A pediatric Pfizer vaccine has been approved for children aged five to 11. Manitoba has expanded vaccine eligibility to this age group.

Parents and caregivers can make first and second dose appointments for eligible children online or by calling 1-844-626-8222. This vaccine is also available from medical clinics, pharmacies and other locations

Children must be five years old at the time the appointment for the first dose is booked. The interval between first and second doses must be a minimum of eight weeks, or a minimum of 21 days for children living in First Nations communities.

Like I said, I swear they changed it. Here is the pharmacyappointments.ca booking site:

Pfizer Pediatric Second Dose: Children 5-11 years of age at the time of vaccination, who received a first dose optimally 8 weeks ago, but at minimum 28 days ago are eligible to receive Pfizer Pediatric second dose with valid health card"

On 2021-12-31 at 10:29 AM, iHeart said:

sigh....regardless of how many cases are reported today, two will be way too many, my cousin has tested positive for COVID, and remember when I had brought up an uncle with COPD? he's her father and he was supposed to get a COVID booster yesterday but couldn't due to the family self-isolating, and now he's in the ICU

Okay I have an update to share he's heading home via Stretcher service, he was supposed to stay another couple of days but a bed is needed but he's also well enough to return home anyway so thank god that's over for now

Took my daughter Dec 19. Feb 19 is earliest time she can get her 2nd dose. My sister took her 7 year old day 2 of eligibility. Jan 30 is earliest dose 2 appointment but I think it's actually mid February.  

Jan 17th........ for now. 

I'm fully expecting not until March 

I saw a interesting stat today 

Turns out it's less than 7 percent of Manitobans who have had covid so tells Me some ppl are getting it twice or more 

1 dose is better than none but... honestly I'm gonna double mask her or see if one of the 30 n95 masks my dad has around fits her.

Edited by Goalie