Covid-19

JCon

For those wondering about 5 to 11 second dose intervals I suggested you go find Dr Reiner’s availability from last week. There is evidence that an 8 week interval will have the greatest overall efficacy. Shortening the interval might have a slight benefit in the short term but overall creates a deficit in protection. 

I guess if you believe Covid will be gone forever in a month go for it. My 9 yr old will wait his full 8 weeks. 

20 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

For those wondering about 5 to 11 second dose intervals I suggested you go find Dr Reiner’s availability from last week. There is evidence that an 8 week interval will have the greatest overall efficacy. Shortening the interval might have a slight benefit in the short term but overall creates a deficit in protection. 

I guess if you believe Covid will be gone forever in a month go for it. My 9 yr old will wait his full 8 weeks. 

Doctor at RBC said 8 weeks when I took my 7 year old December 19 ish 

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

Now - why can that not be the consistent message?

* bangs head on wall*

16 hours ago, GCJenks said:

I am thinking of shortening my 5-11 yr olds interval to 7 weeks and getting their second shot this week. I have found numerous places where it states that waiting the full 8 weeks is better... but I have never seen any information as to HOW much better- no stats that I can find, at all. So.. is it a little bit better.... or a whole lot better?

Just now, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I am thinking of shortening my 5-11 yr olds interval to 7 weeks and getting their second shot this week. I have found numerous places where it states that waiting the full 8 weeks is better... but I have never seen any information as to HOW much better- no stats that I can find, at all. So.. is it a little bit better.... or a whole lot better?

Doctor friend is lowering her kids to 6 weeks. She has to work, so they have to be in school. 

She says it's less effective but does provide more protection over one dose. At this point, it's near impossible to avoid getting Omicron, so minimizing the outcomes is the goal. 

I'm mid 30s. Double vaxxed. 

No booster as not eligible yet for some reason 

In my humblest of opinions... omicron is the new flu or cold. 

Bottom line with me with the testing is if I'm ok enough to wait 8 hours then I'll just stay home until I feel better. But it's also minus 30 last couple weeks then shoots up to a seems way way warmer minus 10 or less for a few days... then back so tis the season.  The flu season which is likely non existent tho with omi being the new flu. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Doctor friend is lowering her kids to 6 weeks. She has to work, so they have to be in school. 

She says it's less effective but does provide more protection over one dose. At this point, it's near impossible to avoid getting Omicron, so minimizing the outcomes is the goal. 

Yup. I have a doctor friend that did 4 weeks for his kids. My kids are getting their's tomorrow, at 6 weeks. Risk to kids is so low already, so short term protection for school (and youth sports) is our top priority. Combined with the fact that they will likely get boosters down the road anyways, I am not that worried about it. All the 8 week data is for adults, and the US is doing 3 weeks, so how bad can 6 be? :)

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Just do it. It seems to be trending that way anyways, and Pfizer's (and CDC's) own numbers say 3 weeks. When they get a booster in 6 months will that one week really matter?

Disclaimer: I'm just a rando on the internet, not a virologist, so take everything I say with a giant grain of salt. 

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

1 hour ago, Stretch said:

TPR is 40.3% provincially, 48% in Winnipeg. That's nuts.

Yes, it is but the context is important. You can't even get a test (PCR) unless you have a positive RAT, so we're not comparing apples to apples from the start of the pandemic to today. The Gov't has given up. 

27 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes, it is but the context is important. You can't even get a test (PCR) unless you have a positive RAT, so we're not comparing apples to apples from the start of the pandemic to today. The Gov't has given up. 

That's interesting.  I would think the TPR should then be higher than 40%

I would assume there's still a backlog from the previous system

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

the only number that really matters to me these days is hospitalizations and ICU admissions (and deaths, obviously...) Daily case counts are basically "everyone" at this point...

If there was only a way to keep the hospital numbers down and icu's for real emergencies.

4 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Novak Djokovic noted Anti-Vaxxer has had his visa cancelled and told to get out of Australia pronto, entitlement has it's limits when the public gets upset

Good, I hope they give him a swift kick in the balls on the way out. While practicing social distancing, of course.

How in the f are there that many people with children in the 5 - 11 age group that haven't got their first shot? My daughter is currently 3 and I plan on booking her first shot on her 5th birthday. I wish we had a better option than just "welp hope our 3 year old doesn't catch this life altering virus".

38 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Good, I hope they give him a swift kick in the balls on the way out. While practicing social distancing, of course.

How in the f are there that many people with children in the 5 - 11 age group that haven't got their first shot? My daughter is currently 3 and I plan on booking her first shot on her 5th birthday. I wish we had a better option than just "welp hope our 3 year old doesn't catch this life altering virus".

Last I heard they were hoping for a vax for 6 months to five years for this summer. It was supposed to be early 2022, but the trials were showing it wasn't very effective. Sure hope my 9 month old doesn't have to wait 4 years.

I believe the FP had a story about a vaccine being tested in Manitoba (as well as other areas) for kids as young as 6 months.

11 hours ago, bustamente said:

Novak Djokovic noted Anti-Vaxxer has had his visa cancelled and told to get out of Australia pronto, entitlement has it's limits when the public gets upset

And now he gets to deal with the consequences of his stupidity: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/novak-djokovic-australian-open-exemption-update-1.6305775