Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

3 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

So if the problem is an oc, well wouldn’t you rather want Masoli, Nichols, or collaros, or guys with experience to help lead the team and not a guy with 12 starts? 

Well I think masoli only works in one system and I would be very happy to go with a nichols/streveler tandem... collaros I think with the injury risk and conditional pick is just a hired gun for this playoff run.

9 hours ago, Floyd said:

Lapo seems to have made him into a gadget QB - not sure how easy it is to come back from that...  he is not making any reads on his read option plays 

This is true, Strev's first game against the Esks. last season and the blowout against the Als a couple of weeks later, looked nothing like his recent "all-run" performances.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Its fair to say nobody knows for sure. However to me and this is only my opinion that Strevler looks like a stronger version of Casey Printers and once team figure out how to combat the run game and make him throw he is not going to be very effective at all. The argument is that he needs a few years to learn to throw and the one thing i know about this league is if you try to be patient and fail you are going to be looking at a long road back (Look at Drew Willy). I think that there are better tested arms in this league available and hitching yourself to someone who has only shown himself to be a gadget QB and not shown much with his arm would be Risky. I would say we cut ties with him and give him a chance to look for a starting gig. 

That being said hitching yourself to Collaros is risky as well given the state of his dome. In my ideal world we bring Arbuckle in who looked really good in the games he played and have McGuire as our #2.

However i think if we win Collaros will be our man even though that would have me nervous.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Which is also risky. Remember when James franklin was THE hit backup qb ready to be a starter? And mcguire has shown even less than streveler.

Speculation from Marshall Fergeson this morning on 1290 that Ottawa is considering bringing in Dinwiddie and Arbuckle to keep the team together.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Well I think masoli only works in one system and I would be very happy to go with a nichols/streveler tandem... collaros I think with the injury risk and conditional pick is just a hired gun for this playoff run.

I would disagree with the masoli part, but how much do we pay for a Nichols strev tandem 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Which is also risky. Remember when James franklin was THE hit backup qb ready to be a starter? And mcguire has shown even less than streveler.

My thought here is if we bring in a new QB to play above Strevler is he going to want to be here because we are not giving him the chance. I don't know his personality i don't know him from Adam, maybe he would be fine being a backup for another couple years if we brought in Arbuckle. My guess is he is going to want to go somewhere that might give him the chance. I can't say for sure.

9 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

I would disagree with the masoli part, but how much do we pay for a Nichols strev tandem 

IF we bring back Nichols - which I mostly expect to happen because this group loves the status quo - I feel like he needs to be paid similarly to his last contract. His play was similar, our passing yardage was way down, but he was efficient in the red zone. We saw the QB salaries rise last year, and we saw teams suffer because of it, so I think things are going to snap back to normal on that front. 

On 2019-11-18 at 11:01 AM, NorthernSkunk said:

I know one poster can not determine how this board posts for a week..........but it would sure be nice this week to appreciate all the work the coaches, players, co-ordinaters etc etc have done to get this team where they are.  I mean like, let's just enjoy the week long party.....nothing but positive and confidence building posts the entire week....   

On 2019-11-19 at 9:15 AM, NorthernSkunk said:

It's just an observation. That is happening.  In my opinion he does not inspire the rest of the team like you can see some QB's do.

On 2019-11-19 at 8:59 AM, NorthernSkunk said:

What's Matty at ..one playoff win in six years ? Zak has two in a month.......  Matty should be gone.  He just doesn't have what it takes to lead a team all the way.  

3 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

It would cost us the season.

Same guy, folks. 

There is no easy answer when it comes to next seasons starting QB.  They all have issues or questions that need to be answered.

Arbuckle, is he the real deal? 

Masoli, coming off a big injury, is he a product of the system?

Nichols, can he stay healthy?

Streveler, can he develop a passing game?

McGuire, we don't know what we have yet so barring injury, he's not in the discussion for QB1 yet.

Collaros, also injury prone, would cost a high draft pick and does he want to be here next year?

I'm all for bringing back Nichols and strev tandem for the right price. I am starting to worry that Matts injuries are starting to catch up to him.. 

Arbuckle is okay but no proven commodity. 17to85 mentioned the Franklin syndrome...I could see that with him too.

Masoli is the most exciting quarterback of the bunch,accurate strong armed passers who can also take off and run. Again depending on how he's recovered from a pretty shitty injury 

As for Collaros.. if he comes in and wins Winnipeg a Grey cup it's hard not to give the guy another chance at a job. Winnipeg waits 29 years and it's potentially ZC who wins it... straight out of a movie. 1st round pick is hard to swallow though and as a tough business might be too big an asset to give up 

Edited by CodyT

Just now, MC said:

The best predictor of a good QB is accuracy.  A lot of coaches have lost jobs because they were sure they could coach a promising QB into improved accuracy.  It usually involves changing body mechanics and that isn't easy - especially when the bullets start flying.

accuracy and ability to process information quickly. Read a defense quickly. I'll take those skills way before things like speed, arm strength, etc...

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

accuracy and ability to process information quickly. Read a defense quickly. I'll take those skills way before things like speed, arm strength, etc...

Have you not seen good decision making and accuracy from Masoli in the past? 

What exactly makes you think no way 

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

I'm all for bringing back Nichols and strev tandem for the right price. I am starting to worry that Matts injuries are starting to catch up to him.. 

Arbuckle is okay but no proven commodity. 17to85 mentioned the Franklin syndrome...I could see that with him too.

Masoli is the most exciting quarterback of the bunch,accurate strong armed passers who can also take off and run. Again depending on how he's recovered from a pretty shitty injury 

As for Collaros.. if he comes in and wins Winnipeg a Grey cup it's hard not to give the guy another chance at a job. Winnipeg waits 29 years and it's potentially ZC who wins it... straight out of a movie. 1st round pick is hard to swallow though and as a tough business might be too big an asset to give up 

This seems fairly reasonable to me.  But I worry that Nichols might be just good enough to not win the Grey Cup.  Every once in a while you need your QB to be able to handle some pressure and make a play moving around the pocket.

1 minute ago, BBlink said:

This seems fairly reasonable to me.  But I worry that Nichols might be just good enough to not win the Grey Cup.  Every once in a while you need your QB to be able to handle some pressure and make a play moving around the pocket.

Agree that Nichols still has that "blah" feeling. Nothing about Matt Nichols screams "put the team on my back". For whatever reason he is really not loved by fans despite bringing WPG back to respectability 

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

First rounder is tough to give up. But, it will be pick 8 or 9 of the first round and not a fantastic draft year. Looks like the top end of the draft this year will get serious NFL looks, meaning we'll likely never see them in the CFL. The players projected from around 6 - 20 seem pretty equal in talent. Walters is also a very good drafter. So, if we had to give up a first rounder for a Grey Cup winning QB (positive thinking), this would be the year.