It's time to hand the ball to McGuire

do or die

Strevelers mechanics may be odd but he gets the ball away quickly and for the most part accurately. My concern is his confidence. Last night he did not seem confident, looked confused at times. With that said he is a horse and can run when he sees no one open. I think he will do well with more reps at practice. McGuire looks a lot smoother and has an equally good arm. As has been the case with the bombers for years, maybe decades, they cannot or at least do not develop QBs and would rather cherry pick someone from another team. We have two now who have showed a great uprise but the big question is can and will they develop them or lose them to another team or will they simply drop out of sight.

The one pass that Streveler chucked up that was picked looked gawd awful....He better lose that kind of play...Off balance ...there was nothing on the ball...just a floating beach ball headed for the waiting arms of a defender,...I could have pic'd that one...For the most part he looked alright and I know he can be better....How much better...I think we're about to find out

As far as McGuire goes....we did keep him around for a reason...The coaching staff has seen something more than just a smooth qb.....He did beat out Bennett for the third spot so that along with his 'smooth' play might just get him a shot IF Streveler craps the bed....Experience would be a problem................ so here we go again 

Edited by Stickem

31 minutes ago, Stickem said:

The one pass that Streveler chucked up that was picked looked gawd awful....He better lose that kind of play...Off balance ...there was nothing on the ball...just a floating beach ball headed for the waiting arms of a defender

Wait....you know that it was deflected at the line......right? 

3 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

????..... a minor injury could totally explain some of Mattys bad throws this year.  Sure he started great last night,  but then the freezing and/or Meds wore off,  and then whatever may have been bothering him reared its ugly head again.  Then having a big dude wipe him out from behind and land on him with all his weight made whatever was wrong even worse.   Some guys are tougher at handling that stuff....it's just my theory.  

I hope he is okay,  he was making the throws early we all wanted to see..... if he is out for any amount of time I hope it is not enough to affect his play when he returns... especially the playoffs.

Sadly, there is no "nuke this post due to the fact that I've just become stupider from glancing over it" button.

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Wait....you know that it was deflected at the line......right? 

Yeah it was deflected because it was a floater and thrown off balance....you knew that right...It was a poorly thrown ball...BUT to be fair I haven't seen Streve throw that many bad ones and he'll learn to just chuck it into the seats when pressured like that and off balance...In fact that's what I thought he was trying to do when it was deflected...Might have been better to have run and just eat it

Edited by Stickem

Just now, Noeller said:

How could it float? It was thrown basically directly into the guy's finger tips.....he threw it with enough velocity that the ball went way up in the air after hitting the guy's hand. I don't understand what you think a floater is?

Yeh I was gonna say - the ball definitely wasn't thrown pretty but it wasn't THAT slow...it went a pretty good distance deflected off the guys hand.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

How could it float? It was thrown basically directly into the guy's finger tips.....he threw it with enough velocity that the ball went way up in the air after hitting the guy's hand. I don't understand what you think a floater is?

Throwing off balance and on his back foot looked like to me......produces a ball with little velocity...But you see it your way...I see it mine

Just now, Noeller said:

Yep.....if you watch the CFL highlight pack, it shows it pretty good. It wasn't a rocket, because it wasn't supposed to be, but definitely not a floater.

Was picked pretty easy and was looping toward the sideline....but definitely deflected.... Maybe it wouldn't have been deflected if it had more on it...Anyway why are we arguing semantics about a bad play we don't want to ever see again

RE: Streveler vs McGuire vs Nichols- if all Streveler was assessed as having was the ability to do line plunges and draws. he would have been gone long ago. Some have said that he cannot read defences or throw with the proper mechanics but if the coaches cannot correct that, then he ought to be cut. If the coaches cannot assess that accurately, then they ought to be gone. Damned few quarterbacks step onto the field and shine from the first day and the CFL is stocked with QBs who have had to serve their apprenticeships, sometimes for several years. The bottom line: we just do not have a large enough body of work from Streveler to know with certainty if he has the right stuff. It was inevitable that Nichols would get hurt, and, for that matter, Streveler as well, given how he runs. The coaches are tasked with making sure they have contingency plans, and if they do not, that does not inspire confidence. Streveler needs time to get over his opening night jitters and I do not think he has been given that as yet. Now we may be in a sink or swim scenario.

Strev's INT was a tip..on an I'll advised throw..and chalk that up as a learning experience..which he will as he is a smart guy...seen that a million times with inexperienced QB's..guarantee next time he puts his head down and barrels forward for positive yards..

Positive of it tho..and I have noticed this before with him that when he is scampering around and looking like he is gonna run..he is still scanning down field for an open guy..once our receivers realize this they will be coming back to the ball..Thats what makes me think of younf Dunnigan when I watch him..and he did that a lot in college...they are used to Nichols style and if he looks to run..he is all run..or hook sliding...and Lucky was there for the pass open as open can be..just a nice football play by BC..hey that happens in games from time to time as the other team is trying too

Edited by Booch

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Strev's INT was a tip..on an I'll advised throw..and chalk that up as a learning experience..which he will as he is a smart guy...seen that a million times with inexperienced QB's..guarantee next time he puts his head down and barrels forward for positive yards..

Positive of it tho..and I have noticed this before with him that when he is scampering around and looking like he is gonna run..he is still scanning down field for an open guy..once our receivers realize this they will be coming back to the ball..they are used to Nichols style and if he looks to run..he is all run..or hook sliding...and Lucky was there for the pass open as open can be..just a nice football play by BC..hey that happens in games from time to time as the other team is trying too

Good decisions are made on the basis of experience and experience comes from making bad decisions. Let's hope that Streveler has enough smarts to learn.

5 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

????..... a minor injury could totally explain some of Mattys bad throws this year.  Sure he started great last night,  but then the freezing and/or Meds wore off,  and then whatever may have been bothering him reared its ugly head again.  Then having a big dude wipe him out from behind and land on him with all his weight made whatever was wrong even worse.   Some guys are tougher at handling that stuff....it's just my theory.  

I hope he is okay,  he was making the throws early we all wanted to see..... if he is out for any amount of time I hope it is not enough to affect his play when he returns... especially the playoffs.

Tell you what. I want you to put your left hand on a heavy metal table palm down. Hold it there & don't move it.  Then I'll hit it as hard as I can with a sledgehammer & crush it. We'll see if you are okay afterwards & you have any broken  bones. Or if you even cried out in agony. Some guys are tougher at handling that stuff... it's just my theory.

Edited by SpeedFlex27