GDT-Stumps @ Bombers

Nolby

Tho not happy with the lack of vertical push, we took what arguably the best defense in league right now gave us and it worked...the check downs aren't sexy but kept drives alive and ate up a lot of clock.

The Stamps have been shutting teams down lately and have won some games without much offense themselves so we played a smart safe game..we won..we are in first for now...why complain. You can say luck played into it due to the returns, but it's not always luck...a return takes a lot of things to go right to be successful...even moderately successful as well as and if your guys mess up assignments...it's ugly....it goes both ways. Nobody has a crystal ball either so who's to say if we didn't take the rock to the house we wouldn't have scored anyway...you will never know, so why dwell on it.

I did see a concerted effort to throw downfield, so thats a start...Matthews ball was not really a drop...Nichols put it in wrong spot and the DB got his hands inside of Matthews and helped in dislodging it...if that ball is over the left shoulder Matthews makes the catch....continuing with Matthews he needs more than 4 targets a game...he should be fed 7-9 times minimum like other teams do their top guy, and not the 7-9 yard routes they run him..I think 2 of his 4 catches were routes inside the first down marker...stupid

Defense though having a small blip after first 2 drives made the adjustments needed and shut things down nicely..thats even with an early injury in the secondary...and even without Jeffcoat the dline had lotsa pressure...caused Arbuckle to throw early on may instances resulting in bad throws...and some drops....the pick at the end..sure receiver had his mitts on it but pass was high and behind him and he had to contort back to get it, hence the tip drill...and that was due to pressure

Also I think it's time for Hecht to have a seat and we use Jones...or Wright...I'd even like to see Exume there as he closes fast..hits hard and has a motor that doesn't stop.

Hecht has wiffed too many tackles lately and is a step too slow for the blitz packages they use him in...he is good rotating in and in certain sets, but I think his majority of reps at safety now is hurting us somewhat.

All in all...things still to fix, but what team doesn't have tings to fix, and we are still in first, and as long as we don't pull another T.O game should stay there after next week too...7-2 at the midway point isn't that bad...warts and all

Happy we won. Got darn nervous near the end. 

Our O is basically a running O. If we're not handing it off on a run, we're dinking it off for what amounts to a run. That's too bad because we have some seriously skilled guys who can make plays downfield. 

Although, when the ball is thrown to them, they have to make plays. Tarsky and Matthews blew two big plays. 

The reffing was god awful. Horrid. Embarrassing. 

In life, find someone who will hold you like the Stamps hold the Bombers and you'll never be lonely. 

9 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Happens alot that new GM's pass up previous regime guys. 

How are the lion's den faithful feeling about Rielly?

We knew this was going to be a transition season. We just never thought the snowball going downhill would speed up so rapidly.  Glad to have Reilly here. It will pay off. The myth that's keeps making the rounds is that we couldn't afford a good o line because of Reilly. That's simply not true. We thought we had a good line, they have just played horrific. Receiver is where Hervey really blew it this year. Burnham and then nothing. Duron Carter? Please. Our front 4 is invisible and our LBs are as well. Secondary would be better with Rose and Orange back there, but they can't cover forever because we get zero pressure on QBs. 

Rose, Fenner, Gaitor, Bighill Roh.....that's a pretty good start for a BC defence. 

Edited by lyin' guy

49 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The general lack of football IQ in this city/forum has dropped in recent times. I cant believe how many people think Streveler going in was due to Nichols play and not the situation in the game. They did it last year too fyi. With Streveler back there, they now have 4 legitimate options out of the back field. While trying to kill the clock....but yeah I'm sure its cause they dont trust Nichols lololololololol

Are you speaking (posting) to a mirror?   Because you come off having absolutely no clue IMO. 

So if they wanted 4 legitimate options and wanting to kill the clock....  why didn't they put in Streveler to kill the clock against Toronto?   After 29 yards passing in the 2nd half it wasn't like Nichols was moving the ball.   

19 minutes ago, JCon said:

Happy we won. Got darn nervous near the end. 

Our O is basically a running O. If we're not handing it off on a run, we're dinking it off for what amounts to a run. That's too bad because we have some seriously skilled guys who can make plays downfield. 

Although, when the ball is thrown to them, they have to make plays. Tarsky and Matthews blew two big plays. 

The reffing was god awful. Horrid. Embarrassing. 

In life, find someone who will hold you like the Stamps hold the Bombers and you'll never be lonely. 

I will fight to the death that wolitarsky caught that touchdown. He had possession, but with his wrist not hand. I understand why the command centre didn't call it a catch, but I think they were wrong.

Just now, 17to85 said:

I will fight to the death that wolitarsky caught that touchdown. He had possession, but with his wrist not hand. I understand why the command centre didn't call it a catch, but I think they were wrong.

You probably got better replays than I did, so I'll defer to your view. 

However, live, I said it wasn't a catch right away even before the ref checked with the Stamps bench to see how to call it. The replay I did see it appeared as though it was moving in his hands. 

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Are you speaking (posting) to a mirror?   Because you come off having absolutely no clue IMO. 

So if they wanted 4 legitimate options and wanting to kill the clock....  why didn't they put in Streveler to kill the clock against Toronto?   After 29 yards passing in the 2nd half it wasn't like Nichols was moving the ball.   

Theres a difference when your up, and when your down. And I dont know...maybe they learned a hard lesson against TO. If you think they had any intention of throwing the ball there you're out of your mind. Nichols isn't a threat to run. Steveler is. One less defender to focus on Harris. They did the same thing in the WSF last year. 

Edited by Bigblue204

2 Of 3 facets are usually needed to win a game...and we accomplished that..and won

were pretty much even in total yards on offence..Calgary had 19 more yards but we dominated time of possession...so why don't we deserve the win??

And looking back on years past this was a game we would inevitably lose 9 times out of 10 and it would be noted that good teams find a way to win...so perhaps maybe warts and all...we are now that "good" team...hmmmm

3 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

At this rate Rose will be our MODP. 6 Ints in 8 games played... a very very nice FA pickup. 

Gaudy int stats for sure.  Really impressed by Sayles, Jeffcoat (pre-injury) and Nevis all year.  Jefferson has been incredible lately.

Edited by Wideleft

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

While it was pretty obvious how the Bombers dominated special teams yesterday, the net punt return numbers are incredible.

Calgary punted 7 times (44.4 yard average), but their net average was 12.7 yards.

Winnipeg punted 5 times (40.6 yard average) and their net average was 36.2 yards.

Here is a complete stats. run down, which proves winning this game was not a fluke.

Nichols 81.% pass completion - Arbuckle 62.9%
Harris 100 yards rushing -Williams 21 yards 
Medlock 4 for 4 on field goals - Paredes 1 for 1
Winnipeg 7 for 222 yard on punt returns (two for TDs) - Calgary 4 for 22 yards
Winnipeg 4 for 84 yards on kick returns - Calgary 3 for 68 yards
Winnipeg 33.41 mins. possession time - Calgary 26.59 mins.
Winnipeg 2 interceptions - Calgary 0
Winnipeg 103.79 QB efficiency - Calgary 62.9
Winnipeg 26 - Calgary 24

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

7 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Here is a complete stats. run down, which proves winning this game was not a fluke.

Winnipeg 26 - Calgary 24

How dare you use solid stats to prove your point. 

12 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Winnipeg 26 - Calgary 24

A completely different game from the general dissatisfaction. Well done! 

44 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Winnipeg 26 - Calgary 24

out sacked them 2 to 1 as well hahaha

won all aspects...so...win was deserved..case closed..IN FIRST PLACE...move on to BC!!

Edited by Booch

32 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

A completely different game from the general dissatisfaction. Well done! 

LOL! Look at those stats and then realize we were less than 20 yards away from losing another 1 point game on a last second FG because we couldn't get a first down.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Winnipeg 26 - Calgary 24

TD drives by Offense

Calgary  3  /   Winnipeg  0

I got a question but I don't want to start a thread for it..... since Harris is a top receiver in the league, as well as a top running back.... what are the odds until he sustains an  injury ?.... or at the very least simply gets wore out.... is he not doing an enormous amount of work for a football player every game ?.....

45 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

True that, if not for the INT- that would have been a game we lost by one point again. Ugh.

Right, and IF the refs don't give Calgary the 1st down when the Bombers had stopped them on 3rd, then they wouldn't have scored the TD to get within 2.  The if game is dangerous because it can lead you down a very long and dark rabbit hole.

3 minutes ago, Sard said:

Right, and IF the refs don't give Calgary the 1st down when the Bombers had stopped them on 3rd, then they wouldn't have scored the TD to get within 2.  The if game is dangerous because it can lead you down a very long and dark rabbit hole.

Lots of ifs in that game.