Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

it's funny, people on Facebook are trying to play it off like it's no big deal and even Belton Johnson (former rider and bomber oliner) is saying he's getting tired of the antics and stuff being swept under the rug and he's pretty green these days.. maybe we are seeing some cracks in the facade?

My perspective on these types of developments is that we are just lucky so far.  I have known enough professional athletes to know that no team has the market cornered on players with personal faults and demons.  It could just as easily be players on our team.  Careful about laughing too hard or throwing too many stones.

26 minutes ago, MC said:

My perspective on these types of developments is that we are just lucky so far.  I have known enough professional athletes to know that no team has the market cornered on players with personal faults and demons.  It could just as easily be players on our team.  Careful about laughing too hard or throwing too many stones.

Bah! A pox upon your caution, laughing too hard or throwing too many stones!

It's the Cryders, there can never enough laughing nor too many stones!

O5wOj.gif  tenor.gif?itemid=9149843   

giphy.gif  AiSzbaj.gif

32 minutes ago, MC said:

Oh, c'mon... We're going into year 5 of the Walters/O'Shea regime, two men who both value professionalism and character as much as skill and football IQ. There's nothing to suggest "it could just as easily be players on this team" because no player is bigger than the team and each one represents the WFC even when he isn't on the field.

It's a difference in culture between two organizations. Luck has next to nothing to do with it, unless you believe Jones is unlucky to have hired players who are known for being about themselves first and foremost... A trait he himself demonstrates often.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Oh, c'mon... We're going into year 5 of the Walters/O'Shea regime, two men who both value professionalism and character as much as skill and football IQ. There's nothing to suggest "it could just as easily be players on this team" because no player is bigger than the team and each one represents the WFC even when he isn't on the field.

It's a difference in culture between two organizations. Luck has next to nothing to do with it, unless you believe Jones is unlucky to have hired players who are known for being about themselves first and foremost... A trait he himself demonstrates often.

I mean ... are we forgetting that Euclid Cummings was a Bomber when all this stuff happened with him that's just becoming public now?

Bruce Johnson was also a player that was suspended for drug policy infractions during his time here.

It could just as easily be a Bomber next time again as well.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I mean ... are we forgetting that Euclid Cummings was a Bomber when all this stuff happened with him that's just becoming public now?

Bruce Johnson was also a player that was suspended for drug policy infractions during his time here.

I like to think that the reason they didn't bring Euclid  Cummings back for a 2nd year was related to that. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I like to think that the reason they didn't bring Euclid  Cummings back for a 2nd year was related to that. 

My thinking exactly. Also, did Bruce Johnson stick around?

So wife and I are lounging on a beach in Mexico almost snoring. I’m wearing my W cap. Dude couple of seats over jumps up, points, “Whales”! He’s wearing his green crider paraphernalia. We end up chatting. We get along. He wants to chat football. I tell him there are only two teams in all of sports I just hate. “The Whiney Riders and the Oilers”.  Several days go by, he asks, would you wear a Rider T-shirt if I sent you one. I said “no way, I hate them”. He asks, “what if it was free”. I responded, “wouldn’t even wash my car with that. Might burn it though. You wanna give me shirt I’ll just burn?” He couldn’t believe it. He was thinking they, Rider fans, are cute and some kind of likeable group. He asked in four five different ways to have me accept a shirt. I joyfully declined. 

15 hours ago, Mike said:

Nope, nobody is forgetting any of that. I figured what I posted was obvious, so allow me to clarify: I'm saying there is a noticeable difference between the two organizations in terms of culture if you compare the frequency of these types of incidents and luck has practically nothing to do with it.

39 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Nope, nobody is forgetting any of that. I figured what I posted was obvious, so allow me to clarify: I'm saying there is a noticeable difference between the two organizations in terms of culture if you compare the frequency of these types of incidents and luck has practically nothing to do with it.

That much I can agree with. All I'm saying is individuals will still be individuals. 

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I agree with this. The prior Bomber regime was prepared to sign Pacman Jones. If given the same opportunity today on a similar character player, I would expect the Riders current regime to be interested but not the Bombers. 

Edited by JCon

15 hours ago, Rod Black said:

He couldn’t believe it. He was thinking they, Rider fans, are cute and some kind of likeable group. He asked in four five different ways to have me accept a shirt. I joyfully declined. 

There is a prevalent belief of this in Saskatchewan that is hard to understand.  They  believe that every Canadian citizen love the Riders, and fans of every other team in CFL really have the Riders as their second favorite team.  Their media must cater to this delusion, because you hear it often in the green province.