Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

30 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Calvillo joins Argos? Big O now Big Woe.

That move surprises me. It seemed to me that Cavillo had a role in Montreal mainly as a loyalty reward program.  Trestmen seems to know what he is doing despite his not so special outing in big money land.  Guess my view from the couch is not close enough to the action. 

1 minute ago, Fan Boy said:

That move surprises me. It seemed to me that Cavillo had a role in Montreal mainly as a loyalty reward program.  Trestmen seems to know what he is doing despite his not so special outing in big money land.  Guess my view from the couch is not close enough to the action. 

Or, everyone is remembering the good'ol days and hoping that they carry on. 

Calvillo gets a mulligan for his coaching in Montreal. Let's see what he does in Toronto. 

The remainder of Trestman’s staff consists of: Kevin Eiben (special teams); Josh Moore (running backs); Jonathan Himebauch (offensive line); Justin Poindexter (offensive quality control); Kerry Locklin (defensive line); Gavin Lake (defensive quality control); Wendell Avery (special-teams assistant); and J. Aggabao (strength and conditioning).

They have a coach named ******* Poindexter

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

Great line :)

I was hoping for Muamba to sign as much as anyone else.  It now looks like we were just a negotiation ploy.  After seeing that, I wanted to see how his play translated into wins over the years.

Muamba CFL Team Records when Muamba plays

2011 Bombers - 4 wins, 7 losses, 1-1 playoffs

2012 Bombers - 6 wins, 12 losses

2013 Bombers - 3 wins, 15 losses

2015 Alouettes - 1 win, 3 losses, 0-1 in playoffs

2016 Riders - 2 wins, 3 losses

2017 Riders - 10 wins, 8 losses, 1-1 playoffs

Overall - 26W, 48L and 2-3 in playoffs

2 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

I was hoping for Muamba to sign as much as anyone else.  It now looks like we were just a negotiation ploy.  After seeing that, I wanted to see how his play translated into wins over the years.

Thanks for reminding us how Mack took a below average team and turned it into a tire fire...

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Colin Kaepernik with extended workout for Als...  would love to see him sign with Montreal - would be great for the CFL

And it would mean Als wouldn't have capspace for Muamba...

Unfortunately the title "greatest QB ever in CFL history" has already been claimed by Manziel, so CK will have to settle for beating Manziel's CFL passing records.  First completed pass should do it.

Muamba capspace benefit aside, I would prefer he sign somewhere other than Montreal - I'm enjoying their dumpster-fireness of late.

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

Colin Kaepernik with extended workout for Als...  would love to see him sign with Montreal - would be great for the CFL

And it would mean Als wouldn't have capspace for Muamba...

Where did you see this? I'm seeing reports of a workout...but no info on which team it was for. And no mention of the CFL except to say he's on the Als neg list

Edited by Bigblue204

45 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Where did you see this? I'm seeing reports of a workout...but no info on which team it was for. And no mention of the CFL except to say he's on the Als neg list

Ha it was 3downnation and you’re right there is no connection... reread the article

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

Thanks for reminding us how Mack took a below average team and turned it into a tire fire...

The biggest problem was a lack of a bonafied QB.  You have to pay the guy that touches the ball for half the game before you pay the guy chasing the ball the other half of the game.

12 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

All that means is Muamba was on some bad teams. 

4 hours ago, Jacquie said:

All that means is Muamba was on some bad teams. 

Which came first, the chicken or the egg.

IMO, if a team breaks the bank to overspend on the wrong positions, it can’t spend money on the right positions.  This is the salary cap era, so one can assume all teams are spending near the cap.

Is it Muambas Salary?  Is it something else?  Or is it rookie QBs?  Or is it that these teams have extra money due to not payi;g a legitimate starting QB?  

Reasons aside, he’s one been a starter on one team to make the playoffs...  last year.

Stegall

1995 - 3W-3L last 6 games of year

1996 - assume 6W-5L as Milt played 11 games, Bombers .500 won every second game much of the year

1997 - 4W-14L

1998 - 2W-5L, last 7 games of season

1999 1999 CFL East 4th 6 12 0  
2000 2000 CFL East 3rd 7 10 1 Won East Semi-Final (Tiger-Cats) 22-20
Lost East Final (Alouettes) 35-24
2001 2001 CFL East* 1st^ 14 4 0 Won East Final (Tiger-Cats) 28-13
Lost Grey Cup (Stampeders) 27-19
2002 2002 CFL West 2nd 12 6 0 Won West Semi-Final (Lions) 30-3
Lost West Final (Eskimos) 33-30
2003 2003 CFL West 2nd 11 7 0 Lost West Semi-Final (Roughriders) 37-21
2004 2004 CFL West 4th 7 11 0  
2005 2005 CFL West 5th 5 13 0  
2006 2006 CFL East 3rd 9 9 0 Lost East Semi-Final (Argonauts) 31-27
2007 2007 CFL East* 2nd 10 7 1 Won East Semi-Final (Alouettes) 24-22
Won East Final (Argonauts) 19-9
Lost Grey Cup (Roughriders) 23-19
2008 2008 CFL East 2nd 8 10 0 Lost East Semi-Final (Eskimos) 29-21

106 Wins - 114 Losses - 1 tie,  Playoffs 5-9

I counted all records in the table as Milt was a big part of the team the whole time (after coming back from NFL tryouts)

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Giants drafted 45 players between 2008-‘13. Now have zero left on their roster. Peter King

Nice.

Kind of meaningless unless it was baseball or basketball where players can play 15 or 20 years. This just show Peter is a bit of a Peter. 

i

12 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

106 Wins - 114 Losses - 1 tie,  Playoffs 5-9

yeah, I think this makes Jacquie's point -- a legit GOAT like Milt doesn't even have a .500 record, it's tough to say anything about a football player by looking at their W/L.

(except maybe that Milt was more patient than the Bombers deserved.)

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

Kind of meaningless unless it was baseball or basketball where players can play 15 or 20 years. This just show Peter is a bit of a Peter. 

I think it's meaningless unless you compare it to the draft records of other NFL teams.  And with most NFL careers being so short, that number doesn't stink on its own, it needs context.