Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

Well that cfl statement will be the out. They will disallow it even though it sounds like they did allow it already.  Wouldn't the cfl have known beforehand?   What's to discuss?

Crazy. 

And for the defenders, yes people make mistakes. Yes people deserve second chances. Cover ups aren't just mistakes. And actions have consequences. The guy should work. Just not here. 

Id love to see a national sponsor threaten to back out.... 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Well that cfl statement will be the out. They will disallow it even though it sounds like they did allow it already.  Wouldn't the cfl have known beforehand?   What's to discuss?

Crazy. 

And for the defenders, yes people make mistakes. Yes people deserve second chances. Cover ups aren't just mistakes. And actions have consequences. The guy should work. Just not here. 

Id love to see a national sponsor threaten to back out.... 

We all make mistakes, but standing by or covering up while deliberate harm comes to a vulnerable person is at least as vile as the act of harming.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

No one apart from a Canadian citizen "has the right" to enter Canada- anyone else can be barred just because of the colour of their shoelaces.  Anyone who participates directly or indirectly in a rape or condones it through silence is equally complicit. If there is a Hell, I hope there is a spot reserved for these monsters.

At no point did I say he "has the right" to enter. Where did you get that? :huh:

As it stands, there is nothing from an immigration standpoint preventing Briles from applying for entry into Canada for the purpose of working for the Ti-Cats. He hasn't been convicted of a criminal offense, regardless of his being complicit in what happened at Baylor.

1 minute ago, tracker said:

Carter is afflicted with a case of terminal stupidity. No hope of recovery.

Nothing but cold mush in between his ears.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/riders-willie-jefferson-defends-ti-cats-hiring-former-baylor-coach-art-briles

Willie Jefferson and Duron Carter defend him. Idiots. Well gives us yet another reason to root against those two.

Just pathetic. Then again, we know those two aren't known for the character.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

At no point did I say he "has the right" to enter. Where did you get that? :huh:

As it stands, there is nothing from an immigration standpoint preventing Briles from applying for entry into Canada for the purpose of working for the Ti-Cats. He hasn't been convicted of a criminal offense, regardless of his being complicit in what happened at Baylor.

" Unless he was actually convicted for an offense, he can enter Canada without issue. ". There does not have to be a criminal charge or conviction for a person to be denied entry. By the same token you can be denied entry into any country "just because". Happens all the time,

1 minute ago, tracker said:

" Unless he was actually convicted for an offense, he can enter Canada without issue. ". There does not have to be a criminal charge or conviction for a person to be denied entry. By the same token you can be denied entry into any country "just because". Happens all the time,

Wrong. A CBSA officer cannot deny entry to anyone "just because"... And what do you mean it happens it all the time? :lol:

Image result for that's not how it works

I suggest you read up on a piece of legislation known as The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. That's what CBSA and CIC use to determine who is admissible and inadmissible to Canada.

And I suggest you look at cases in which individuals who have been deemed to be promoting hatred or intolerance have been barred from entering Canada. Pretty much every country has provisions in which they can deny entry to people without giving reasons. Entering any country is a privilege, not a right. There are exceptions such as political refugees but even there, the acceptance is subject to qualification.

Assuming that the league does not take action right now, it seems to me that  if  fans are truly outraged, they can sway this quite easily:  stay away from any game that involves the Tiger-Cats at home and away.  Take the money that you would have spent at the game and donated to your local women's shelter and then let the CFL know that you've done it.

Will it hurt other teams?  Yes, but just watch how quick the CFL acts when the bottom line gets impacted.    Having said this, it would be a very sad day for the league if it actually has to come to this.  I'm hoping the commissioner does the right thing and "encourages" Hamilton to change it's mind on  this one.

4 minutes ago, tracker said:

And I suggest you look at cases in which individuals who have been deemed to be promoting hatred or intolerance have been barred from entering Canada. Pretty much every country has provisions in which they can deny entry to people without giving reasons. Entering any country is a privilege, not a right. There are exceptions such as political refugees but even there, the acceptance is subject to qualification.

Uh, what cases? Please present your sources. As for promoting hatred and/or intolerance, that's exactly what IPRA covers, along with a number of other aspects when determining if an individual may be allowed entry: criminality, misrepresentation, medically inadmissible, conditions not met such as residency requirements, etc.

When an individual is denied entry into Canada, he/she is provided a rationale as to why that determination was made. I'm not sure what "provisions" you think exist but in Canada where individuals seeking entry can be denied without cause, so provide a source. IRPA and its associated regulations are the letter of the law and where admissibility is concerned.

5 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Uh, what cases? Please present your sources. As for promoting hatred and/or intolerance, that's exactly what IPRA covers, along with a number of other aspects when determining if an individual may be allowed entry: criminality, misrepresentation, medically inadmissible, conditions not met such as residency requirements, etc.

When an individual is denied entry into Canada, he/she is provided a rationale as to why that determination was made. I'm not sure what "provisions" you think exist but in Canada where individuals seeking entry can be denied without cause, so provide a source. IRPA and its associated regulations are the letter of the law and where admissibility is concerned.

I know that American border agents can and do bar people from entry "just because".  That might be where this idea is coming from but I don't know if our officers have quite the same leeway.

9 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I know that American border agents can and do bar people from entry "just because".  That might be where this idea is coming from but I don't know if our officers have quite the same leeway.

True. It seems like USCBP has its own set of rules regarding entry into the US. What I do know is CBSA operates under IRPA when processing travellers at a port of entry and "just because" isn't a reason for denying entry. There has to be a legitimate reason: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/who.asp

Anyway, sorry for taking this thread off topic. With regard to Briles, I don't see there being a legitimate lawful reason at the present time for him being denied entry into Canada for the purposes of working for the Ti-Cats organization. However, I'm hopeful the CFL steps in and denies this move purely on the grounds of morality, integrity, and decency.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Wrong. A CBSA officer cannot deny entry to anyone "just because"... And what do you mean it happens it all the time? :lol:

Image result for that's not how it works

I suggest you read up on a piece of legislation known as The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. That's what CBSA and CIC use to determine who is admissible and inadmissible to Canada.

Kinda sorta, but the only people entitled to enter Canada are Canadian citizens and people with status in Canada.  They can refuse entry to anyone else, and those people can petition to enter, but no rights to set foot in Canada.  Same as any country in the world.

And it does happen all the time.  People who don't comply with searches or questioning are turned back everyday.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

From that article:

"Clearly, some serious mistakes were made along the way "

Ah, "mistakes were made."  Pretty much the ultimate weasel thing you can say about something that's ****** up.  Hopefully the Commish invites Mr. Briles to rehabilitate his career in some other league.

I do have to wonder, given the NCAA's reputation, how many coaches have the same kind of stink on them.  Mike Riley did, back in the day:

15 minutes ago, johnzo said:

From that article:

"Clearly, some serious mistakes were made along the way "

Ah, "mistakes were made."  Pretty much the ultimate weasel thing you can say about something that's ****** up.  Hopefully the Commish invites Mr. Briles to rehabilitate his career in some other league.

I do have to wonder, given the NCAA's reputation, how many coaches have the same kind of stink on them.  Mike Riley did, back in the day:

All of them.  Truly.  They recruit guys who aren't there to go to school, many with violent histories from even before they attend university/college.  It's all about winning games and covering their asses.  They don't care about the other kids they assault.  And booster money buys freedom for these guys who should be locked up.  They'll make an example of a few to say they've done something, but come on.  It's systemic.