Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Very true.

Im surprised by some fans on HF being upset with trading a first rounder.  This is what REAL contenders do, especially when they have a cupboard stocked full of youth and prospects.  Even if the Jets got swept out, its the right move to try and win a cup.  Jets are a legit Cup contender.  Man...that sounds good to say.  When was the last time...

1979 and the Aveco Cup? 1985 with Hawerchuck etc?

I'm actually shocked people are upset we gave up a first round pick. Who cares? Why?! The way I look at it, even if you figure we got "ripped off", for lack of a better term, we could afford to. We don't have room for all the assets we have, so we had to either lose some or condense them in a package for something like this at some point. We just stacked our top 9 even more for a Cup push and got two young superstars a possession positive defensively responsible playmaking center that should work very well between them.

Erik Foley gone? So what? Where would he fit in our lineup? We already don't have room for Vesalainen without making some moves and we're about to lose Petan for nothing next year ... so who cares about Erik Foley? We didn't lose Samberg, Vesalainen, Stanley or Niku ... we are a Cup contending team that made themselves better today and all it cost us of note is a (probably) late first round pick.

What I'm really wondering about ... if Stastny turns out to be a fit here between the two young Euros ... do we look to bring him back on some term next year if we can maybe move Little out? I would assume that at 32 years old, Stastny would probably come a little bit cheaper and Little doesn't necessarily seem to be a great fit for the roster around him anymore. 

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Nope.  Just worry about players with nagging injuries.   He came back for a partial game and was back on IR.   Not a good sign.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we wasn’t back until next season. 

Also, Jets have been very aggressive in finding a centre at the deadline.  That in itself is telling.  Might not just be for depth.  

It was before practice but still...

Saw this tweet and now these lyrics are stuck in my head.

24 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

More so Lowry. Copp was 3rd line center because Lowry was injured.

Jets definitely have to decide who they want to keep in the off-season, Stas or Little.   Too many young guns that need to make the jump to keep both, especially at the salaries they both want or will want in Stas's case (unless he suddenly wants to take a big hit to play in Winnipeg).  Roslo should also start playing center next year too, I would say, as he seems to be a center, not a winger.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

24 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't see the Jets retaining Stastny...  32 years old and coming off a 7 million per year contract...   I'd imagine he would expect a  6 million deal for 3 more years....  we already have Little locked up for 5 more seasons.   

Any interest out there for Little? 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm actually shocked people are upset we gave up a first round pick. Who cares? Why?!  

I haven't heard anyone say this - like everyone is pretty pumped across the board...  do you have a source?  I'd like to read their reasoning

15 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I haven't heard anyone say this - like everyone is pretty pumped across the board...  do you have a source?  I'd like to read their reasoning

Probably elsewhere on the interwebs.

I'm not upset in the slightest, but a 1st round pick plus Foley is an overpay for Stastny.  And at this time of year everyone overpays, so I mean it's an overpay on an overpay.

But it's also a fair overpay on an overpay.  St Louis is 2 points out of a playoff spot with a month and a half to go.  They shouldn't be trading him at all.

23 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Probably elsewhere on the interwebs.

I'm not upset in the slightest, but a 1st round pick plus Foley is an overpay for Stastny.  And at this time of year everyone overpays, so I mean it's an overpay on an overpay.

But it's also a fair overpay on an overpay.  St Louis is 2 points out of a playoff spot with a month and a half to go.  They shouldn't be trading him at all.

This doesn't make any sense...