Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

Look at some of the teams playing in half full arena's even the Senators have taken seats out of Canadian Tire Centre, sure it would of been nice to have 1000 extra seats but the Jets play in the smallest city in the NHL and the arena can't be changed now and the owners are making boat loads of money. Wont be seeing a new arena in this city in my lifetime so enjoy the one we have.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

And if that's true, it's a flaw in the plan.  How many big concerts have come to IGF since it was opened?  Half dozen maybe?   

We never should have even thought about anything > 30,000.  Of course, she has to expand to 35,000 or so to get our Grey Cups.   

It's a shame because strictly as a place to watch a game, IGF is fantastic.  But 6000 empty seats every game is an eye sore & the atmosphere suffers for it.

I'd bet even now, there's a few every game that don't sell.  The holds they release on gameday, no biggie.  But I'd be shocked if those were 100% sold. 

@Floyd I'm keeping you in mind next time I can't make a Jets game!  It's not easy getting rid of them, trust me! 

The difference is, they are paid for, whether every seat is filled or not.  Every seat is paid for.  the Jets had a brilliant gameplan with their ticket sales, capping the season tickets and creating a wait list.  They will never have trouble selling out.

I believe every team measures attendance by tickets distributed.  For the Jets, those are all paid.  If someone doesnt go and their seats are empty, they still paid.  For other markets, they distribute free tickets but count them as "sold" which is why you get 12,000 announced when clearly its less than that on TV...far less.

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The difference is, they are paid for, whether every seat is filled or not.  Every seat is paid for.  the Jets had a brilliant gameplan with their ticket sales, capping the season tickets and creating a wait list.  They will never have trouble selling out.

I believe every team measures attendance by tickets distributed.  For the Jets, those are all paid.  If someone doesnt go and their seats are empty, they still paid.  For other markets, they distribute free tickets but count them as "sold" which is why you get 12,000 announced when clearly its less than that on TV...far less.

Wow thanks for the super basic explanation of ticket sales

50 minutes ago, Floyd said:

An 18,000 seat arena and your average ticket prices probably drop by 25%...  Flames and Canucks seats are avg $75, Winnipeg is $120

Arena is sold out every night at 18,000 if the extra 3,000 of those are nosebleed tickets at $60-80

Thats a very good point that is often missed.  There were rumours a few years ago that True North would raise the roof and add another several rows of seats.  But even if this was possible, it would be spending a ton of money to add the cheapest seats.  They were very smart in adding those few Loge seats because they are premier seating.  I think the arena is fine for what it is.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I'd bet even now, there's a few every game that don't sell.  The holds they release on gameday, no biggie.  But I'd be shocked if those were 100% sold. 

@Floyd I'm keeping you in mind next time I can't make a Jets game!  It's not easy getting rid of them, trust me! 

Always interested, but 24 hours notice is usually necessary to get childcare.  Bunch of goblins would put down 5 pounds of sugar each if they could.

10 minutes ago, iHeart said:

a fun looking view. if the playoffs started today we'd be up against Minnesota

http://www.espn.com/nhl/playoffs/matchups

I'll take making the playoffs and playing anyone but if I had a choice, this is a team  I don't want us to face, at least in the first round.

They schemed us well last game we played against them. They almost drew up the perfect blueprint in how to neutralize our talent.

39 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'll take making the playoffs and playing anyone but if I had a choice, this is a team  I don't want us to face, at least in the first round.

They schemed us well last game we played against them. They almost drew up the perfect blueprint in how to neutralize our talent.

Minnesota would be okay. Would prefer Dallas.

17 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

IGF attendance related to the team.

Not exclusively. The Bombers have been a pretty good team for two straight seasons and IGF has still had quite a lot of empty seats during that time. Knock IGF's capacity to ~30K and it'd look a lot fuller.

BellMTS Place is appropriately sized for the city its serves, IMO. Maybe 16K could've been doable but then you'd have to consider how that would affect an already snug concourse.

11 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

It was a smelly old barn way past its best before date. Can't blame people for not wanting to buy tickets for up in the rafters when you can only see half the ice...

Actually you could see all the ice. Just not the scoreboard without looking at a 13” tv in the rafters in front of each section.

I’ll agree it was smelly. 

Speaking of decrepit arenas, the situation in Calgary isn't getting any better: https://www.tsn.ca/bettman-flames-financial-situation-continues-to-deteriorate-due-to-arena-1.1016026

CALGARY — NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says the Calgary Flames' financial situation "continues to deteriorate" as the team continues to operate out of the aging Scotiabank Saddledome but maintained his position that he doesn't foresee the situation changing soon.

Bettman spoke to reporters in Calgary on Friday as part of his Western Canadian tour. He said he wasn't there to make threats, yet he painted a bleak picture of the Flames' financial future if it continues to operate out of the NHL's oldest building.

Bettman said the Flames used to contribute to the NHL's revenue-sharing program, but have become increasingly reliant on it of late.

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi has said the Flames' proposal for a $500-million arena places a heavy tax burden on the city, but the Flames say the city's plan would ultimately see the team foot the entire cost of construction.

"There's nothing else I can tell you, this building is the oldest building in the league and there's no prospect of it being replaced," Bettman said.

6 hours ago, Tony Fresco said:

Actually you could see all the ice. Just not the scoreboard without looking at a 13” tv in the rafters in front of each section.

I’ll agree it was smelly. 

I remember my dad springing for Mcdonalds section tickets $5 a ticket. I definitely couldn't see past the blue line of the far end. We had to watch the Tv's in the rafters. 

Edited by kelownabomberfan