Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

5 hours ago, Atomic said:

Maybe.  Although he is one of the best coaches of all time while Hartman is just some 23 year old kid.

How did I know that my comment would cause this kind of **** reply.  Even Cal Murphy had a best before date.  It's not about Hartman, it's more about missing the playoffs.  Coaches are hired to be fired.  I was just floating the possibility that maybe it's time for a change of scenery, ala Babcock, for Coach Q.

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

How did I know that my comment would cause this kind of **** reply.  Even Cal Murphy had a best before date.  It's not about Hartman, it's more about missing the playoffs.  Coaches are hired to be fired.  I was just floating the possibility that maybe it's time for a change of scenery, ala Babcock, for Coach Q.

If Chicago wants to go in the toilet ala Detroit, then yeah it probably would be a good move.

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Don't u go knockin Cal Murphy. Never missed the playoffs as WBB Coach/GM. Never!

Cal is my avatar and my favorite Bomber coach/GM of all time.  It wasn't a knock on him.  That was kind of my point though.  Even Cal, as great as he was, reached a point where it was time to leave.  Look at Wally.  You don't think it is time for him to leave BC?

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Babcock's departure is not the reason Detroit is a mess now...  they're team is ancient

A better question might be - are Babcock and Quenneville the reason for their team's success or a result of a strong core?

Once that core ages or prices itself out of the market...  they start to look pretty mortal.  

I'd like to see Willie Desjardins given another shot in the NHL.  He got screwed in Vancouver.  Punch Imlach couldn't have done anything with that dumpster fire.

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Born in one of my fave Canuck towns.

because Gord Kluzak was from there?  :)

When I was 18 I was thinking of trying out for the Calgary Dinos hockey team, and I went in to see their coach about it.  He told me that their roster was full, and that maybe I should just focus on my studies and give intramural hockey a try.  He was really good and classy about it, because he knew he was basically telling a young kid his hockey dream was over.  That man was Willie Desjardins.

16 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Brassard also saying he would have waived his no trade clause...  lots of people predicted that Winnipeg would become a lot more likeable once we started winning

Good to know. Confirms it didn’t get far enough for him to be asked. Vegas stepped in to help pens get it done. 

41 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

a record I doubt I will see broken in my lifetime, with the way the NHL game is played now.

I think it was just as hard if not harder back then...  there was still a red line - remember how many passes from Housley to Selanne were called back?

19 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I think it was just as hard if not harder back then...  there was still a red line - remember how many passes from Housley to Selanne were called back?

Scoring was way easier and higher back then.

Last season Connor McDavid led the way with 100 points.  (30G 70A).  The 20th top scorer was Auston Matthews with 69 points (40G 29A)

In Teemu's rookie season, Lemieux was top scorer with 160 points (69G 91A).  And he did that in 60 games.    The 20th top scorer was Fleury with 100 points (34G 66A).

So Lemieux's assists alone would put him as the 2nd highest scorer last year.  His goals alone in the top 20.    And it wasn't just Lemieux with those kinds of numbers. 

#2 - Lafontaine 148 points

#3 - Oates 142 points

#4 Yzerman 137 points

Teemu was 5th with 132 points.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Last season Connor McDavid led the way with 100 points.  (30G 70A).  The 20th top scorer was Auston Matthews with 69 points (40G 29A)

In Teemu's rookie season, Lemieux was top scorer with 160 points (69G 91A).  The 20th top scorer was Fleury with 100 points (34G 66A).

So Lemieux's assists alone would put him as the 2nd highest scorer last year.  His goals alone in the top 20.    And it wasn't just Lemieux with those kinds of numbers. 

#3 - Oates 142 points

#4 Yzerman 137 points

Kids are just lazy these days.

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

In Teemu's rookie season, Lemieux was top scorer with 160 points (69G 91A).  And he did that in 60 games.    The 20th top scorer was Fleury with 100 points (34G 66A).

#3 - Oates 142 points

#4 Yzerman 137 points

Image result for thank you gif key and peele

That's what I was trying to say - it was not uncommon to have many players that were well over 100 pts in scoring in a season.  Now you barely get more than one a year.  Quite a different situation.