Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

So has anyone been to Macgarvie's in Selkirk? I just noticed it today on a day trip there but it wasn't open today (I should make sure I make a return trip here before it gets too cold to drive outside Winnipeg)

Edited by iHeart

55 minutes ago, iHeart said:

So has anyone been to Macgarvie's in Selkirk? I just noticed it today on a day trip there but it wasn't open today (I should make sure I make a return trip here before it gets too cold to drive outside Winnipeg)

Local candy store. Closed a lot of the time - so google hours before making the drive.

4 hours ago, iHeart said:

Have been a couple times, haven't bought anything as the pricing scares me; mostly US import stuff with massive mark ups. My 10yr old wants to go back and hit the arcade in the basement.

Better off just going across the street for something to eat at Roxie's.

Edited by GCJenks
added recommendation for Roxie's

49 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Have been a couple times, haven't bought anything as the pricing scares me; mostly US import stuff with massive mark ups. My 10yr old wants to go back and hit the arcade in the basement.

Better off just going across the street for something to eat at Roxie's.

I actually did eat at Roxie's today those were some good thick cut fries (I was wondering where the arcade was, the few photos they have on facebook don't really show the arcade, I might look at it but not play because I'll bet those things take dollars only these days....at least most of the machines do at Phantom Amusements) though I looked through the window it looked like they had some of that aerosol cheese in there, well I'll have to bring plenty of money if I plan on going next time

I'll bet they are expensive because of licensing and all that stuff also don't forget it's a local business

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

I actually did eat at Roxie's today those were some good thick cut fries (I was wondering where the arcade was, the few photos they have on facebook don't really show the arcade, I might look at it but not play because I'll bet those things take dollars only these days....at least most of the machines do at Phantom Amusements) though I looked through the window it looked like they had some of that aerosol cheese in there, well I'll have to bring plenty of money if I plan on going next time

I'll bet they are expensive because of licensing and all that stuff also don't forget it's a local business

Spray cheese has gotten crazy expensive, was almost $6usd in Fargo last week. Probably at least $12 at McGarvie. 

8 hours ago, iHeart said:

Went earlier in the summer and thought the place should have better signage since I wouldn't have a clue on what it had inside had I not googled nearest Ice cream store after going to Roxie's.   Extremely limited candy selection and minimal ice cream selection,  I wouldn't go back.   

If I were them I'd re-do the signage to make it clear that they have ice cream and candy and I'd load up on the misc candy similar to bulk barn.   Had they the basics like gummies and swedish berries or various lolli's we would of bought a lot.   The arcade was closed off when we went so I don't know what they have down in the basement.

28 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Went earlier in the summer and thought the place should have better signage since I wouldn't have a clue on what it had inside had I not googled nearest Ice cream store after going to Roxie's.   Extremely limited candy selection and minimal ice cream selection,  I wouldn't go back.   

If I were them I'd re-do the signage to make it clear that they have ice cream and candy and I'd load up on the misc candy similar to bulk barn.   Had they the basics like gummies and swedish berries or various lolli's we would of bought a lot.   The arcade was closed off when we went so I don't know what they have down in the basement.

yeah good point I should ask if their arcade is open, they do have an ice cream sign that caught my eye when I was on the block today (yeah it did look small when I peeked in)

Edited by iHeart

Be wary of the new Subway numbered sub system, bought 3 12" chicken subs in Canmore and it came out to $60 with mandatory tip!  On the way back, we ordered one "build it yourself" chicken sub with the same components and it came out around $15 with mandatory tip.  In some of these fast food places it sure seems they're intentionally trying to obscure  pricing from the product ordered.  I think it's a symptom of people paying with plastic and often not even paying attention to the cost of their purchase, cause it doesn't register as strongly as paying with cash.

7 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Be wary of the new Subway numbered sub system, bought 3 12" chicken subs in Canmore and it came out to $60 with mandatory tip!  On the way back, we ordered one "build it yourself" chicken sub with the same components and it came out around $15 with mandatory tip.  In some of these fast food places it sure seems they're intentionally trying to obscure  pricing from the product ordered.  I think it's a symptom of people paying with plastic and often not even paying attention to the cost of their purchase, cause it doesn't register as strongly as paying with cash.

I don't believe Subway has a mandatory tip,   I have seen while on the road a few locations that requires you to click "other" to enter in a $0.00 tip which is shady AF. 

Ridiculous that they try to dupe people rather then paying employees a higher wage. 

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

There's no mandatory tip. You just press 0 & then pay for your subs.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I don't believe Subway has a mandatory tip,   I have seen while on the road a few locations that requires you to click "other" to enter in a $0.00 tip which is shady AF. 

Ridiculous that they try to dupe people rather then paying employees a higher wage. 

I'll never pay a tip for fast food or a service like an oil or tire change.

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Was the second sub at the same location?  I wonder if there is just a premium for being in Canmore?

13 hours ago, Sard said:

Was the second sub at the same location?  I wonder if there is just a premium for being in Canmore?

It was actually in Golden BC which should have made it more expensive with taxes, but from what i could tell menu pricing was exactly the same.

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

You're correct, mandatory wasn't the right word to describe guilt based tipping, with so many different payment systems currently in use you have to be pretty sharp to navigate around it as 0 tip is most often not one of the obvious options.

I don't mind tipping for fast food when I can see it's temporary foreign workers providing the service although I wish the Fed govt. would not embrace this form of second class citizenship, my real beef is with Subway for implementing a deceptive pricing policy.  Same thing MacDonald's and Tim Hortons have done with their rotating menu boards, lucky if you can spot the item you wish to purchase before the menu changes, never mind figuring out how much it's going to cost.  Image has overtaken details in point of sales marketing, encouraging impulse buying.

Edited by Fatty Liver

10 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

It was actually in Golden BC which should have made it more expensive with taxes, but from what i could tell menu pricing was exactly the same.

You're correct, mandatory wasn't the right word to describe guilt based tipping, with so many different payment systems currently in use you have to be pretty sharp to navigate around it as 0 tip is most often not one of the obvious options.

I don't mind tipping for fast food when I can see it's temporary foreign workers providing the service although I wish the Fed govt. would not embrace this form of second class citizenship, my real beef is with Subway for implementing a deceptive pricing policy.  Same thing MacDonald's and Tim Hortons have done with their rotating menu boards, lucky if you can spot the item you wish to purchase before the menu changes, never mind figuring out how much it's going to cost.  Image has overtaken details in point of sales marketing, encouraging increased impulse buying.

Bring back these!

main-qimg-ed4a4bea236036d188b275b720e434

5 minutes ago, WildPath said:

When my wife worked at Subway, I percentage of the tips went to the restaurant owner. Seemed pretty shady to me and I'm pretty sure the customers did not realize that was the practice when they were giving the tip.

Restaurant owners are always trying to steal from their employees. Stealing tips, paying them lower wages because it's the customer's "job" to pay living wages, etc, etc, etc. Meanwhile, they cheat on taxes and lie to staff. 

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

Restaurant owners are always trying to steal from their employees. Stealing tips, paying them lower wages because it's the customer's "job" to pay living wages, etc, etc, etc. Meanwhile, they cheat on taxes and lie to staff. 

Which is why Iike to tip with cash, even if I paid the bill with debit or credit.