Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

5 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

South end of that mall is kinda dead with the former Chinese place. Maybe destroy and put in apartments?

not quite dead there is a KFC/Taco Bell and a A&W near that place also next door to the soon to be former starbucks: Little Ceasars

Edited by iHeart

35 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well the location Bucks is in now is kinda meh. Maybe just move em all over to the new buildings.

u6szJHE.png

3B9PpnQ.png

Just right for a new 6 story block :)

Scroll your map a little bit north and you'll see another location they could do that without uprooting any existing businesses.  The Royal Fork has been closed for a while now so why not put something there?

Just now, bigg jay said:

Scroll your map a little bit north and you'll see another location they could do that without uprooting any existing businesses.  The Royal Fork has been closed for a while now so why not put something there?

Guess you not been there for a while. Forks was bulldozed and new strip mall stores in its place.

Nope, haven't been to that side for a while but I am at the Starbucks end (current location) a fair bit.  I'll have to exit that way one of these days to check out what they're doing.

Always felt like that whole parking lot (same with KP's) has way too much parking space for the businesses that are there.  The only time that space is used to close to capacity is when the carnival rolls in, and even then, there's room to spare.

11 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Nope, haven't been to that side for a while but I am at the Starbucks end (current location) a fair bit.  I'll have to exit that way one of these days to check out what they're doing.

Always felt like that whole parking lot (same with KP's) has way too much parking space for the businesses that are there.  The only time that space is used to close to capacity is when the carnival rolls in, and even then, there's room to spare.

@iHeartYou have a picture of the former Forks/new Starbucks location?

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Can we please get a real authentic Mexican restaurant in that area please and thank you!   I'll settle for a Greek restaurant if need be!  

Knowing our luck... probably another Fried Chicken or Burger place :(

to be honest, just once I would like a place that serves Enchiladas and Chimichangas, we don't have Taco Del Mar on my end (and it seems TDM stopped making Chimichangas)

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Can we please get a real authentic Mexican restaurant in that area please and thank you!   I'll settle for a Greek restaurant if need be!  

I lived in that area for 7 years and constantly complained about the lack of decent restaurants. If you want mediocre chains they are there in abundance. It is absolutely pathetic that this city of 800 000 people doesn't have a decent full service Mexican or Tex-Mex place. It is absolutely shameful that Salmon Arm BC (city of 20 000) has a full service authentic Mexican restaurant that is outstanding and all we get are tacos and burritos. 

I am sad that I will miss the BC home game, I will take solace in my fajitas and margaritas that evening. https://laspalmasdallas.com/

12 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It's a bit of a jaunt from the Nairn-Regent area but JC Tacos on Henderson Hwy. is pretty tasty and reasonably priced, with a pretty varied and authentic menu: https://www.jcstacosandmore.com/

I don't believe it's licensed to sell liquor, though.

That is a more impressive menu that my first visit there. We were very excited when they opened, tried a couple of times and was unimpressed. Always meant to give them another try but then we had a kid that wouldn't eat tacos and now it isn't local anymore.

21 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It's a bit of a jaunt from the Nairn-Regent area but JC Tacos on Henderson Hwy. is pretty tasty and reasonably priced, with a pretty varied and authentic menu: https://www.jcstacosandmore.com/

Hmm maybe I will give it a try during my time off I have a good idea where it is after a google

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

JC Tacos is good,  they used to have a great lunch buffet back in the day.  BMC Taqueira is great and same with La Taqueira on Ness... but both of those places have a very small menu.

Ideally it would be nice if we could get a "Mangos" like the one in Fargo where they serve both Mexican Food and American Tex - Mex.  

Winkler has a place called Flavors of Mexico which was good,  but the last time I went the spice level was turned down a whole lot and everything tasted very bland.  I'm hoping it was a one time visit and them not changing the menu to cater to old white person spice tolerance lol.  

So does anyone know what's so special about Lotus Cookies? because it seems that it's going to be used in  a good chunk of the desserts on D Spots menu when it opens, now I know there is something I can try right now (Asia City at Jefferson does have a lotus Cookie croffle) but I'm wondering why it's being used so suddenly

On 2023-06-17 at 3:17 PM, rebusrankin said:

On that Starbucks by Regent etc by the Old Royal Fork. It makes sense they are going to a new building with a drive thru because the current location there doesn't have one and Starbucks is really pushing the drive thru/mobile order set up.

Driving by the old Royal Fork today the southern new building also has drive through on north side.

On 2023-06-13 at 2:18 PM, blue_gold_84 said:

Good food there. Wish we had more like it.

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Worse then Dominoes?

No. Nothing is worse than Dominoes.

On 2023-06-13 at 4:14 PM, Brandon said:

JC Tacos is good,  they used to have a great lunch buffet back in the day.  BMC Taqueira is great and same with La Taqueira on Ness... but both of those places have a very small menu.

Ideally it would be nice if we could get a "Mangos" like the one in Fargo where they serve both Mexican Food and American Tex - Mex.  

Winkler has a place called Flavors of Mexico which was good,  but the last time I went the spice level was turned down a whole lot and everything tasted very bland.  I'm hoping it was a one time visit and them not changing the menu to cater to old white person spice tolerance lol.  

One of my chief complaints is when restaurants purposely turn down the spice level of a dish that is meant to be spicy to appeal to the masses. I mean, I get it....but I don't like it.

On 2023-06-13 at 1:50 PM, Brandon said:

Authentic BBQ would be great too. Man I miss Lovey's.