Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

I've noticed the one by my house has slowly declined in how busy the inside has been over the last 5 years... drive thru is still very busy for god knows what reasons?  

I'm guessing it's the old timers going out of loyalty? 

Everyone's drive through busy. Eating out for dinner at fast food dont mean much anymore as for old timers they probably only ones going in afternoon and thats got to be declining just due to aging out.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Everyone's drive through busy. Eating out for dinner at fast food dont mean much anymore as for old timers they probably only ones going in afternoon and thats got to be declining just due to aging out.

It depends. Some are run better than others. A & W is usually okay for eating out. 

So I finally got to go to the Macgarvie Company in Selkirk and sadly they didn't have the spray cheese I hoped to get but I made sure I didn't leave empty handed I bought some frosting with Dolly Parton's face on it in case I get the cake mix from Snak Trap again as well as cinnamon toast crunch frosting (you would be surprised how many cereals have mixes for pancakes and oatmeal, if I had a nickel for everything associated with the Flintstones cereals I saw)

Sigh there's so much I want to do on days where I don't need to go to work before it gets too cold but I don't think I will get to do it all.  Yes I am at Roxie's right now my mom wanted to eat while we were in Selkirk

Edited by iHeart

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

My friend bought one a few years back,  it smells like KFC when you open the package.  Unfortunately the log itself as it burns does not emit the KFC greasy smell of regret lol.     

38 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I don't think I have seen this one mentioned before, apologies to iHeart if it has. 

In the previous Za Pizza location on Regent is a new Shawarma place called Osmow's. Saw on Saturday but the rest of the family was not feeling adventurous.

https://osmows.com/shawarma-regent-avenue-winnipeg/

They opened about two months ago I believe.  I've been a couple times as I love shawarma.  

You can get more of a North American meal if the family isn't wanting to try something completely new.   Their signature creations page has some different options like getting your shawarma on top of fries, rice or salad rather than in a wrap.  I've tried the chicken "on the rocks" (chicken on a bed of rice) and it's really good.

https://osmows.com/menu/signature-creations/

3 hours ago, GCJenks said:

I don't think I have seen this one mentioned before, apologies to iHeart if it has. 

In the previous Za Pizza location on Regent is a new Shawarma place called Osmow's. Saw on Saturday but the rest of the family was not feeling adventurous.

I have seen that place but I don't think I posted about it (probably because I couldn't remember the name after that and it took a long time in between hearing the name and the opening)

On 2023-10-31 at 8:27 AM, GCJenks said:

The wife and I tried it out today for lunch,  the verdict....  It's not bad but not the best.   

I had a chicken/beef shawarma with fries.   Lots of meat and the spice level of the hot sauce is legit spicy and not "white person spicy".   My mouth was on fire!   The taste is less garlic and creamy and more dry spicey if that even is a word.   What I did not like was the fries are really mediocre and the beef I think they keep under a heat lamp or something because I had multiple pieces that were rock hard that I had to spit out.   The beef is low quality so I'd stick with chicken if I were to go back.  The pickled turnips were also dried out which gave it a weird texture.  

The wife had the "osbox" with chicken, rice, and salad and only a mild level of spice.   This was much better and the portion was large and the price was very fair.   

If/when we go back I think getting the rice/salad/chicken combo will be the way to go,  it was fresh and the price and quantity you get was a very fair value.  

My preference is:

1 - Ramallah Cafe -  Best meat/flavour and the other items on the menu are also really top notch. 

2 - OSMows -  Great value for what you pay.

3 - Les Saj -  They really scaled back the quantity of what you get,  the flavours are still really good but you get half the meat as the other places mentioned above.

4 - Baraka -  Online people rant and rave about the place... I've gone three times and each time the shawarma is very empty and the flavours are super muted and bland.  None of my middle eastern friends ever recommend this place.  

24 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The wife and I tried it out today for lunch,  the verdict....  It's not bad but not the best.   

I had a chicken/beef shawarma with fries.   Lots of meat and the spice level of the hot sauce is legit spicy and not "white person spicy".   My mouth was on fire!   The taste is less garlic and creamy and more dry spicey if that even is a word.   What I did not like was the fries are really mediocre and the beef I think they keep under a heat lamp or something because I had multiple pieces that were rock hard that I had to spit out.   The beef is low quality so I'd stick with chicken if I were to go back.  The pickled turnips were also dried out which gave it a weird texture.  

The wife had the "osbox" with chicken, rice, and salad and only a mild level of spice.   This was much better and the portion was large and the price was very fair.   

If/when we go back I think getting the rice/salad/chicken combo will be the way to go,  it was fresh and the price and quantity you get was a very fair value.  

My preference is:

1 - Ramallah Cafe -  Best meat/flavour and the other items on the menu are also really top notch. 

2 - OSMows -  Great value for what you pay.

3 - Les Saj -  They really scaled back the quantity of what you get,  the flavours are still really good but you get half the meat as the other places mentioned above.

4 - Baraka -  Online people rant and rave about the place... I've gone three times and each time the shawarma is very empty and the flavours are super muted and bland.  None of my middle eastern friends ever recommend this place.  

I agree with your rankings.  Ramallah is the best I've had in Winnipeg.

Also agree about the spice level at Osmows.  Made the mistake of ordering too spicy the first time and won't do that again. 😂

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/fast-fired-carbone-pizza

This would explain why the Fast Fired on Regent seemed to be open and closed at random times.    

Tough to beat the lowest common denominator(Pizza Hut, Domino’s, Lil Caesars) not to mention discounted frozen pizza. 

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Tough to beat the lowest common denominator(Pizza Hut, Domino’s, Lil Caesars) not to mention discounted frozen pizza. 

Same goes with Za pizza,  apparently they also mislead franchisees and several of their locations closed up shop.     

I can't imagine margins were large when they were giving unlimited toppings on a discount pizza.  Everybody is going to pile up as many toppings as they can for maximum value so that can't be very profitable. 

On 2023-11-02 at 12:32 PM, bigg jay said:

I agree with your rankings.  Ramallah is the best I've had in Winnipeg.

Also agree about the spice level at Osmows.  Made the mistake of ordering too spicy the first time and won't do that again. 😂

Ramalleh and les saj are both good but neither come close to touching the east coast style, and even some of the good joints in the west. 

There's a spot in edmonton near the stadium that is ******* fantastic. 

I'd put Brandon's shwarama queen in the running with the other winnipeg spots. Really like the sweet sauce in brandon

eYnfvLV.jpg

D&M Caribbean Flava on Molson Ave near Concordia Hospital.     The Jerk chicken was moist and really tasty and the jerk pork was a really large portion for a decent price.       It definitely wasn't as mouth burning spicy as the jerk I had when I was in Jamaica so it is more friendly for people with a lesser tolerance level.         The staff was super friendly and everything came out quickly without much of a wait.   I plan on going back to try more.