Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Wonder if this still around?

They've moved but look to be still in business:

https://www.unclejacks.ca/

Another Thompson pizza option in Winnipeg is this one:

https://ttownstylepizza.com/

Looks like Jack Colombe (the guy in the first article) is responsible for both restaurants.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/2022/02/04/northern-exposure-21

Edited by bigg jay

On 6/21/2023 at 12:18 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Worse then Dominoes?

Have you been to Domino's in the last 5 years? It's the best cheaper pizza and is really good. 

I believe it's still #1 in marketshare after it overtook Pizza Hotline.  PH went from using Bothwell cheese and quality ingredients into using the cheapest of cheap.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

Have you been to Domino's in the last 5 years? It's the best cheaper pizza and is really good. 

I believe it's still #1 in market share after it overtook Pizza Hotline.  PH went from using Bothwell cheese and quality ingredients into using the cheapest of cheap.

Actually, the biggest supplier of take-out pizza in North America is....drumroll please.....Costco. Can't beat it for calories per dollar but the quality.....ick.

21 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Actually, the biggest supplier of take-out pizza in North America is....drumroll please.....Costco. Can't beat it for calories per dollar but the quality.....ick.

In Winnipeg it is not though and if we are talking about take out I'm curious to see how much Spenst Brothers sell in Manitoba.   That pizza is fantastic and my favorite frozen pizza by far.  

14 minutes ago, Brandon said:

In Winnipeg it is not though and if we are talking about take out I'm curious to see how much Spenst Brothers sell in Manitoba.   That pizza is fantastic and my favorite frozen pizza by far.  

Who retails this?

On 2023-06-21 at 11:48 AM, bigg jay said:

They've moved but look to be still in business:

https://www.unclejacks.ca/

Another Thompson pizza option in Winnipeg is this one:

https://ttownstylepizza.com/

Looks like Jack Colombe (the guy in the first article) is responsible for both restaurants.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/2022/02/04/northern-exposure-21

They are close...but not the same as the real McCoy.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Spenst is excellent frozen pizza. Expernsive by frozen pizza standards but really good. Giant Tiger carries them.

4 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I will be checking that out.  Frozen pizza is prime fuel for marking marathons.

My only advice is check in on them half way through cooking,  it bubbles up sometimes at comical levels of height and if you are using a microwave oven/ninja oven it can touch the top of the oven.     

The crust is thin and almost like a croissant,  it's very tasty. 

So has anyone been to Snak Trap on Pembina, I want to see what they have there (not all of the snack import stores are the same, they usually have something that distinguishes them from the others....I see Kelvin's Perk in Saskatchewan and I am so green with Envy but then again the owner of that place goes across the border to get most of the content)

I tried Al-Adon's Pizza on Portage Avenue a while back on a recommendation but was very disappointed. The crust and meats were good, but the sauce was almost nonexistent and it had as much salt on it as Portage Avenue in Winter. It was nearly inedible.

Edited by Tracker

and iHeart's import tour continues, today I checked out Snak Trap on Pembina.....and I realized that all the import places in Winnipeg does have one unique thing about them, Tee-yah's has ice cream, CS Collectibles has well, collectibles, white picket fence has these little fizzer bombs for alcoholic drinks, and Snak Trap has alot more like a smaller version of Kelvin's Perk in Saskatchewan

47 minutes ago, iHeart said:

and iHeart's import tour continues, today I checked out Snak Trap on Pembina.....and I realized that all the import places in Winnipeg does have one unique thing about them, Tee-yah's has ice cream, CS Collectibles has well, collectibles, white picket fence has these little fizzer bombs for alcoholic drinks, and Snak Trap has alot more like a smaller version of Kelvin's Perk in Saskatchewan

You cannot say you've done a thorough lap of Winnipeg food until you have had a roti from Tropikis on Ellice Avenue.  EVERYTHING is homemade but you have to like curried food. Even though I have a masochistic enjoyment of the "suicide" level of hotness, they also come in mild, medium and hot. 

7 hours ago, Tracker said:

You cannot say you've done a thorough lap of Winnipeg food until you have had a roti from Tropikis on Ellice Avenue.  EVERYTHING is homemade but you have to like curried food. 

I don't think they do dine in anymore,  I've tried a few times over the last few years and it's always been closed.   Roti's are solid but the wife running the front is kind of in her own world.  Always double check that she writes down the correct order because in the past she would change our orders on the fly lol. 

I do recommend also checking out K&S Island Grill on Portage Ave,  also home made and they definitely have a much more hotter spice level on the various items.  

54 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't think they do dine in anymore,  I've tried a few times over the last few years and it's always been closed.   Roti's are solid but the wife running the front is kind of in her own world.  Always double check that she writes down the correct order because in the past she would change our orders on the fly lol. 

I do recommend also checking out K&S Island Grill on Portage Ave,  also home made and they definitely have a much more hotter spice level on the various items.  

I have been getting rotis there for more than 25 years and have never had an order screwed up.  Have tried all the other places and, to my taste, these are the best.

19 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I have been getting rotis there for more than 25 years and have never had an order screwed up.  Have tried all the other places and, to my taste, these are the best.

The wife (I assume it's the wife) older lady messes our orders about 75% of the time.  She'll start recommending the bison or elk roti's and spend minutes trying to get everyone to order the "cream soda" like drink and then she'll write down and bring out those things despite us saying no and ordering different items.    After doing this three consecutive visits of her serving the wrong order we then learned to ask her to repeat the order before taking it back to the kitchen and that seems to work.    She doesn't mean any ill will and is very friendly but I believe she gets easily confused.    

Edit:  I forgot to add that they (she) also likes to change prices on the fly,  we were over charged a few times on our meals because the prices on the menu were out of date.   If you go on google reviews you will see several people complaining about her adding extra money to the bill.   So double check the bill and make sure she doesn't change the prices on you.

Edited by Brandon