Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

34 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Couldn't find a reference online but heard it reported on the radio this morning that 7-11 on Ness at Sturgeon Rd has applied for a Liquor License to allow them to serve beer and wine in their dining area and with Takeout/delivery. That used to be my local Sev, lots of room to expand the store in the lot and not much around, or is there a plan to take over a vacant spot in the adjacent strip mall and add a separate sit down dining area...

Horrible idea IMO. With all the theft MLCC went through to the point of having to wait in a line to be photo ID'd before entering, can you imagine the theft that would go on at 24 hour 7-11's?!?! I couldnt even fathom.

12 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Horrible idea IMO. With all the theft MLCC went through to the point of having to wait in a line to be photo ID'd before entering, can you imagine the theft that would go on at 24 hour 7-11's?!?! I couldnt even fathom.

It's unfortunate that Winnipeg is so bad that we can't have nice things.    

I'm sure it hasn't changed but my friend who worked at 7-11 twenty years ago said that the amount of theft on regular items was at a ridiculous level.  The low cost of slurpees basically subsidized the crazy high retail shrink.       I could only imagine how bad it will be with any sort of booze.     

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Apparently not for sale in store but in "dining room" and possibly delivery. They have this in some Ontario and Alberta markets.

I love being able to walk in to a 7-11 in Texas and there are more fridges of beer, coolers and cocktails than coke and pepsi.

26 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Apparently not for sale in store but in "dining room" and possibly delivery. They have this in some Ontario and Alberta markets.

I love being able to walk in to a 7-11 in Texas and there are more fridges of beer, coolers and cocktails than coke and pepsi.

Nothing says fine dining like a 7-11 hotdog and a glass of wine.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Nothing says fine dining like a 7-11 hotdog and a glass of wine.

It's been more than 6 years since I have eaten any of their food but there was a time that a Chicken Kebab and Wedges was lunch once or twice a week at least.

Pretty sweet deal with DoorDash/Prime!

Has anyone been to Friskee Pearl? Sadly, I went back in mid-May... Needless to say, it was very forgettable. Overpriced, underwhelming, slow service... It's basically a revamped Earls with marine-themed **** everywhere and more seafood on the menu.

On 2023-06-06 at 9:14 AM, Bubba Zanetti said:

The only time liquor theft is a problem is when it is accessible to the public on the shelf. I have had beer/cooler vendors for decades in this province. I have owned beer store versions of beer vendors and the kind where the clerk goes into the cooler and gets you what you want. Wanna guess which one had pretty much zero theft? It is nonsense to suggest that liquor sales automatically equate to liquor theft. It's simply not true, it just has to be done right. The beer store vendors do dramatically higher sales, and see a lot more impulse buy of secondary product and that leads to higher profits overall but the old style beer vendors offer cost certainty to those who would sell liquor in high crime areas.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

The only time liquor theft is a problem is when it is accessible to the public on the shelf. I have had beer/cooler vendors for decades in this province. I have owned beer store versions of beer vendors and the kind where the clerk goes into the cooler and gets you what you want. Wanna guess which one had pretty much zero theft? It is nonsense to suggest that liquor sales automatically equate to liquor theft. It's simply not true, it just has to be done right. 

Indeed, but trusting 7-11 to do it right.....

11 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Indeed, but trusting 7-11 to do it right.....

Well that's up to them right. I mean if they do it wrong, they are only hurting themselves. The province doesn't refund you for liquor that was stolen in your property. You pay your tab to the MLCC or BDL based on what you order, not based on what you sell unless something stale dates, or you have breakage off the truck.

As for people thinking they would get held up more.....nope, not in my experience anyway. I had vendors that were held up before and they weren't running away with or targeting beer/coolers. It was cigarettes and whatever cash was in the till. If you already sell cigarettes they are far more likely to get you robbed than liquor. You keep your liquor behind the counter on display and your odds of theft do not increase that much.

Manitoba liquor stores ran into problems with theft because they were overcrowding their stores during peak times with not much to speak of in the way of security and making customer access to grab and run way too easy.

Edited by GCn20

On 2023-06-06 at 7:54 AM, GCJenks said:

Couldn't find a reference online but heard it reported on the radio this morning that 7-11 on Ness at Sturgeon Rd has applied for a Liquor License to allow them to serve beer and wine in their dining area and with Takeout/delivery. That used to be my local Sev, lots of room to expand the store in the lot and not much around, or is there a plan to take over a vacant spot in the adjacent strip mall and add a separate sit down dining area...

Should change the name to 7%-Eleven%

8 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Drove past with a highschool group - field trip to CMHR - kids were making Friskee Pearl jokes all day 

This may not be the right place but it’s convenient at the moment. I saw the pics you posted on Facebook, what were your thoughts about CMHR and the job they are doing? As an educator and member of a group that has been persecuted your opinion interests me more than my own with my experience from a life of privilege. 

11 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

This may not be the right place but it’s convenient at the moment. I saw the pics you posted on Facebook, what were your thoughts about CMHR and the job they are doing? As an educator and member of a group that has been persecuted your opinion interests me more than my own with my experience from a life of privilege. 

Overall, it's a very thought provoking place.  And by the way, my fb account is now restricted because of one of those photos (the Nazi propaganda)

Are they under representing certain groups? Yes, absolutely.  Then again, we are not very vocal about the experiences of our ancestors, so that plays into it.

I have no particular issues with the CMHR.

well it sounds like that new eatery on KC is going to be a relocated starbucks, I wonder what they'll put in the old starbucks......I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's going to be a D Spot (so I won't have to go all the way to Sterling Lyon, because I was hoping the new business would be an expansion from that area)

18 hours ago, iHeart said:

well it sounds like that new eatery on KC is going to be a relocated starbucks, I wonder what they'll put in the old starbucks......I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's going to be a D Spot (so I won't have to go all the way to Sterling Lyon, because I was hoping the new business would be an expansion from that area)

South end of that mall is kinda dead with the former Chinese place. Maybe destroy and put in apartments?