Matt Nichols, Elite quarterback?

SPuDS

Is Matt Nichols "elite"?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. there seems to be much debate on this on social media and some blogs.. so, I ask.. Is Matt Nichols an Elite level QB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not quite yet but almost
    • undecided

Nichols is getting closer to that vaunted eliteness tag. IMO, the only thing he has yet to conquer is dropping that pass over the top for that long gain. He's hit a few, but he misses the mark when the play is there. An example of that is he, and Gudino.  They just can't make that connection. Mind you, it's not always on Nichols, but those overthrows he launches, at least have to give the receiver a chance to make the play. 

So, no, not yet, but he is getting closer, and he's taking us with him. 

I wouldn't put him above Reilly or Mitchell but he's getting close.  Six games is a small sample size but he's been doing it for 20.  If he continues to play as well as he has over his last 20 games and the Bombers keep winning, I don't see how anyone can deny it.  Now let's get a Grey Cup ring on his finger and the debate is over.

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I wouldn't put him above Reilly or Mitchell but he's getting close.  Six games is a small sample size but he's been doing it for 20.  If he continues to play as well as he has over his last 20 games and the Bombers keep winning, I don't see how anyone can deny it.  Now let's get a Grey Cup ring on his finger and the debate is over.

100% this....

Nichols is a good QB, just like Burgess was. Neither are elite. Neither win/won or lose games on their own. Both can/could win with a very good team around them. Neither make/made the big mistake. 

Currently Nichols is 6th in passing yards, 664 yards behind Ricky Ray.  He's tied for 3rd with Glenn and Reilly for passing TD's, which is pretty much middle of the league. He's number 6 in completion % and 8th in Avg yards per pass.  He's being a really good O line (#1 in QB pressures allowed).

Nichols needs to find his deep ball touch to take the next step.

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Nichols is a good QB, just like Burgess was. Neither are elite. Neither win/won or lose games on their own. Both can/could win with a very good team around them. Neither make/made the big mistake. 

Currently Nichols is 6th in passing yards, 664 yards behind Ricky Ray.  He's tied for 3rd with Glenn and Reilly for passing TD's, which is pretty much middle of the league. He's number 6 in completion % and 8th in Avg yards per pass.  He's being a really good O line (#1 in QB pressures allowed).

Nichols needs to find his deep ball touch to take the next step.

Heartily agree on the deep ball touch, but as to stats, I used to echo those statistics as being indicators, and now I see they are no more than that.

If we went strictly by passing stats, then no, the stats aren't there, but if you see ALL the stats, including the most important one....wins, then, yes Nichols is getting closer and being a closer doesn't hurt...

I'm thrilled that we've gone from "we need to find a quarterback because the three we have aren't"  to "is our quarterback elite?"  For the record, I don't care if he's elite or not, it's just a word that  doesn't mean much.  The important question is "Do we win with him at the helm?"  The answer to that is: yes.  That's all that really matters.

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

how much better could the touch have been on his long td pass to lankford the other day?

Or the pass down the sidelines to Darvin Adams in the big comeback game? Still, we've all seen the spreadsheets that showed Nichols was among the least accurate QB's on throws over 20 yards I believe it was... if he cleans that up we will be throttling teams.

I like the Buck Pierce comparison. Nichols has that same grit and toughness. One big difference is I believe Nichols picks his runs with better vision and knows when to go down and when to go through. We wouldn't have won the Montreal game without his desperation scramble to the 2 yard line. Guts and brains. Roll in greater deep ball accuracy (receivers need to help out, too) and boom we are contenders.

Elite possession protector with no fear, which is a huge step from where he was when the Bombers acquired him.

He doesn't have the skill of Mitchell, Reilly, Jennings.  He can beat them by playing smart.  When he tries to go toe to toe with those guys it ends badly, see the Calgary game.

Needs to be a hell of a lot more consistent before this conversation can even happen.  The stretches of games where they can't even get first downs let alone score just can't happen.  Looked better last week.

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Big bad Bo has ZERO rushing yards.  That part of his game is completely absent.  When Nichols needs yards at a critical time he puts his shoulder down and gets them.  Yeah it's ugly but his teammates love him for it.

Bo won't run. Absolutely refuses. Hell, even Sean Salisbury ran when he had to & he was as graceful as a giraffe trying to run on stones. Speaking of Salisbury, there's a sports channel on free preview on Shaw Cable called BeIn Sports & he has a talk show. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Elite possession protector with no fear, which is a huge step from where he was when the Bombers acquired him.

He doesn't have the skill of Mitchell, Reilly, Jennings.  He can beat them by playing smart.  When he tries to go toe to toe with those guys it ends badly, see the Calgary game.

Needs to be a hell of a lot more consistent before this conversation can even happen.  The stretches of games where they can't even get first downs let alone score just can't happen.  Looked better last week.

What skills does Jennings have except throwing picks & fumbling when a game is on the line? Talk about an overhyped qb thanks to TSN. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Jennings reminds me of a lighter version Michael Bishop. Athletic & has a strong arm but has a ten cent head for brains. 

I don't think so.  Jennings passed for over 5000 yards and had 27 TDs against 15 INT.  He is legit.  Michael Bishop couldn't go ten passes without turning the ball over.  Great arm though.

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I don't think so.  Jennings passed for over 5000 yards and had 27 TDs against 15 INT.  He is legit.  Michael Bishop couldn't go ten passes without turning the ball over.  Great arm though.

And as a Lions fan, Jennings will break your heart throwing into double coverage, a tight window or fumble carrying  the ball. He sure chokes like Glenn. More athletic than Glenn. Glenn is smarter but Jennings is just Bishop level stupid.  There's no freaking way Jennings is an elite qb. Or better than Nichols.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I like the Buck Pierce comparison. Nichols has that same grit and toughness. One big difference is I believe Nichols picks his runs with better vision and knows when to go down and when to go through. We wouldn't have won the Montreal game without his desperation scramble to the 2 yard line. Guts and brains. Roll in greater deep ball accuracy (receivers need to help out, too) and boom we are contenders.

Whoa whoa Whoa. I also like the Buck comparison for the "grit" factor, but Nichols ain't in the same league as Buck as far as his rushing abilities. Buck was an actual runner. Matt just picks his spots.

You guys know the accuracy drill the qbs do in practice where there are three differently placed tires to throw the ball through from different launching points, depth etc etc.

anyway interesting tid bit about buck pierce, I knew the "ball boy" for the bombers back when buck was the qb. He told me 9/10 times buck was throwing it in the tires. 

I don't think matt has quiet as good accuracy yet. Although pretty accurate on the short / intermediate route I think he has some work on the deep ball to go before he can be in the elite level . Not that I'm saying buck pierce was either. Just a thought I had