Matt Nichols, Elite quarterback?

SPuDS

Is Matt Nichols "elite"?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. there seems to be much debate on this on social media and some blogs.. so, I ask.. Is Matt Nichols an Elite level QB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not quite yet but almost
    • undecided

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

My argument is because the team is winning, he is going to be overrated because the QB is always going to get a lot of credit. I'll give him some, he's done enough to not lose more often than not but record is easily the worst way to measure a QB in terms of actual ability. I would argue there is no conceivable way that he is top 3 but even if he were, he is so far behind your top 2 that it would be disingenuous to suggest that he is "elite" solely because he's third in your ranking. 

I can't name another QB who would be #3.

I'm trying not to be a homer, but I'm not putting any of the East QBs ahead of Matt. You can't rate Ray up there just because of the legacy. Harris can't finish games. Who else is potentially there?

What in the world are you talking about? I don't need TSN to tell me who is good and who is garbage. 

Thats fine. The only thing that matters is wins and losses. If BLM or Reilly had losing records.. Would they still be elite? 

Nichols is 14 and 5 as starter. Thats all that matters. 

Just now, Jesse said:

I can't name another QB who would be #3.

I'm trying not to be a homer, but I'm not putting any of the East QBs ahead of Matt. You can't rate Ray up there just because of the legacy. Harris can't finish games. Who else is potentially there?

I will grant you that the QB play in the league is far poorer right now than anyone is talking about and I will grant that the argument could be made for Nichols being third even if I disagree with it but the point still stands that does him being the third best be default and so far back of Mitchell and Reilly really grant him the title of elite?

I agree that Harris sucks and Jennings is very overrated but Collaros is likely my pick for third best as we can't discount the rest of his career based on this season alone. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

I will grant you that the QB play in the league is far poorer right now than anyone is talking about and I will grant that the argument could be made for Nichols being third even if I disagree with it but the point still stands that does him being the third best be default and so far back of Mitchell and Reilly really grant him the title of elite?

I agree that Harris sucks and Jennings is very overrated but Collaros is likely my pick for third best as we can't discount the rest of his career based on this season alone. 

Collaros is like 0 and 11 in his last 11 starts... Putting him at 3 is a joke. 

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Thats fine. The only thing that matters is wins and losses. If BLM or Reilly had losing records.. Would they still be elite? 

Nichols is 14 and 5 as starter. Thats all that matters. 

This is so insane that there is no need to respond to it. Put Reilly and Mitchell on this team and our record is even better but it's clear you have no desire to look at this objectively. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

This is so insane that there is no need to respond to it. Put Reilly and Mitchell on this team and our record is even better but it's clear you have no desire to look at this objectively. 

Whats insane is putting Collaros at 3... That says it all really... Guy is on the Drew Willy fa from grace and has been for some time. 

Collaros was never anything more than potential. He could never stay on the field when he was good, and know that he's on the field he's no longer performing. 

Not even in the conversation in my mind.

I realize there is no way to prove this but swap Nichols for Collaros and you'd see the Bombers better and the Ticats worse. Barring injury. Nichols has a great offensive line, good receivers and a head coach and OC that call a balanced game that fits his strength. Collaros has the worst line in the league, depleted receivers and a head coach who refuses to run the ball. I'd like to see any QB succeed in that situation. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

I realize there is no way to prove this but swap Nichols for Collaros and you'd see the Bombers better and the Ticats worse. Barring injury. Nichols has a great offensive line, good receivers and a head coach and OC that call a balanced game that fits his strength. Collaros has the worst line in the league, depleted receivers and a head coach who refuses to run the ball. I'd like to see any QB succeed in that situation. 

Masoli was 3 and 3 as a starter in 6 games last year with that same team Collaros was 0 for 5 with. 

I used the disagree emoji.

Because I disagree.

Just now, AKAChip said:

Maybe go back and read what I wrote. I talked about their "numbers" I could care less about wins and losses and I said as much. 

The only number that matters is wins. Yards? Who gives a ****.. Is Kevin Glenn elite? Hes thrown for over 50000 yards in his career 

Just now, Goalie said:

The only number that matters is wins. Yards? Who gives a ****.. Is Kevin Glenn elite? Hes thrown for over 50000 yards in his career 

Lol keep putting words in my mouth. Yards do matter sure as do touchdowns. Far more than wins and losses do when it comes to evaluating QBs. Also the stuff that Derek Taylor tracks like completion percentage on deep balls and other measures of efficiency that actually measure ability rather than "wins"

2 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Lol keep putting words in my mouth. Yards do matter sure as do touchdowns. Far more than wins and losses do when it comes to evaluating QBs. Also the stuff that Derek Taylor tracks like completion percentage on deep balls and other measures of efficiency that actually measure ability rather than "wins"

Nichols is 3 on Taylors fancy stats ranking.