I like Matt Nichols

6 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Nichols had a great 20 minutes last night, helped by an INT, a fumble recovered inside their 10 and 2 completely blown coverages. He managed 10 yards and zero first downs in the first quarter. He missed 2 wide open players in the end zone. All this against what most fans consider to be the worst team in the CFL.

we out played them in every quarter except the first, probably because of the new stadium they had the momentum. Once we get rolling we are better in every aspect than that team. Nichols played an outstanding game.

Edited by Gotmilt

3 hours ago, TheSource said:

Agree 100%.

Nichols is not the problem, he is the QB that can take this team to a GC win.

I have seen Bomber teams win a GC with a lot less.

Personnel wise, I think they might be closer than I thought.

This team needs to develop a killer instinct and when they do... look out

When you say "personnel" are you including coaches?

6 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Nichols had a great 20 minutes last night, helped by an INT, a fumble recovered inside their 10 and 2 completely blown coverages. He managed 10 yards and zero first downs in the first quarter. He missed 2 wide open players in the end zone. All this against what most fans consider to be the worst team in the CFL.

aaaaaannnnndddd... he's back

Typical Blue Kool Aid chuggers. Only want to look at the good side of the equation. We won ugly. I'll take the 2 points, but 20 great minutes doesn't make the whole game good and we barely won.  Nichols got 87 of his 331 yards on a single big play.

We beat Regina, the worst team in the league, not one of the good teams. They put up almost 400 yards against us without 2 or 3 of their starting receivers. They won TOP.  They came back from 14 down with 12 minutes left in the game. They didn't even have 7 full time NI starters cuz they lost Muamba during the week and they have weak NI's to begin with. They fumbled a KO inside their 10. Maybe one of the stats guys can look back and see how often a team wins when they do that or how often teams win when they turn the ball over 2 more times than the opposition. . Glenn threw deep into double coverage twice. He only got away with it once. He stared down his receiver for an Int with 55 seconds in the half.

We got 10 yards and 0 first downs in the first quarter.

We didn't outplay them in the 2nd. We didn't get our first drive until less than 3 minutes on the clock and we scored our first TD when 1:04 was remaining in the 2nd.

We had a great 20 minutes where we owned them, late in the 2nd through the 3 minute mark in the 4th.

We didn't outplay them in the 4th they scored 14 straight points to tie the game up during which time, they kept us off the board.

We didn't outplay them in OT. It came down to them missing a short FG, while we made ours.

11 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

If Saskatchewan would have out played us in OT they would have won the football game. 

Neither team outplayed the other in OT. We just made our FG and they didn't.

10 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Every single team has these kind of stats in their games, so what's the point? Does it help that Nichols also threw short passes to equalize that stat?

Nichols averaged about 9 yards a pass except for the one 87 yarder. That's more indicative of the way he played. BTW: 87 yards is the longest in Dressler's career and the longest reception of the young season.

6 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Fortunately...  "my opinion isn't the one that matters."  - TBURGESS

And yet so many folks get upset at my opinions. BTW: That quote was from a post about the refs and the C'Mon Center being the only opinion's that matter to play calls, not the fans.

Anyone here really think that last night's great 20 minutes of play would be good enough to beat most CFL teams?

31 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Typical Blue Kool Aid chuggers. Only want to look at the good side of the equation. We won ugly. I'll take the 2 points, but 20 great minutes doesn't make the whole game good and we barely won.  Nichols got 87 of his 331 yards on a single big play.

We beat Regina, the worst team in the league, not one of the good teams. They put up almost 400 yards against us without 2 or 3 of their starting receivers. They won TOP.  They came back from 14 down with 12 minutes left in the game. They didn't even have 7 full time NI starters cuz they lost Muamba during the week and they have weak NI's to begin with. They fumbled a KO inside their 10. Maybe one of the stats guys can look back and see how often a team wins when they do that or how often teams win when they turn the ball over 2 more times than the opposition. . Glenn threw deep into double coverage twice. He only got away with it once. He stared down his receiver for an Int with 55 seconds in the half.

We got 10 yards and 0 first downs in the first quarter.

We didn't outplay them in the 2nd. We didn't get our first drive until less than 3 minutes on the clock and we scored our first TD when 1:04 was remaining in the 2nd.

We had a great 20 minutes where we owned them, late in the 2nd through the 3 minute mark in the 4th.

We didn't outplay them in the 4th they scored 14 straight points to tie the game up during which time, they kept us off the board.

We didn't outplay them in OT. It came down to them missing a short FG, while we made ours.

So, to paraphrase your post: "If we win, it's because we were just lucky.  If we lose it's because we suck, we've always sucked and we always will suck."  

Fortunately, I fall back to this quote: "my opinion isn't the one that matters." - TBURGESS

I'm going to be completely honest. I thought Nichols was a little off last night. Especially early in the game, but to his credit he played an amazing stretch where they scored on SIX STRAIGHT possessions. He turned a rough start into one of his overall games of his career. ( career high 4 TD's) the thing I see out of Nichols is that once he gets into grove with his receiving core I think he's going to have an outstanding season and prove a lot of critics wrong. Heck I think he strives off of it.

10 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

So, to paraphrase your post: "If we win, it's because we were just lucky.  If we lose it's because we suck, we've always sucked and we always will suck."  

If your reading comprehension was up to snuff, you'd know what I was really saying was.. Last night's level of play was just good enough to beat the Riders. 

What some people here seem to be wrestling with is the fact that this was the FIRST regular season game of the year for the Bombers.  Combine that with the fact that the other team already had a game under their belt and was playing at home meant that as much as I was wanting to see a Rider beatdown, it likely wasn't going to happen.  We won anyway.  Ya, we won ugly.  Ya, we need to get better.  But again, it was the first game of the year.  You really don't need to have to be some sort of "deep thinker" or amazing football guru to recognise the obvious here.  

15 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Nichols averaged about 9 yards a pass except for the one 87 yarder. That's more indicative of the way he played. BTW: 87 yards is the longest in Dressler's career and the longest reception of the young season.

Yes, yes, I know that, but you make it sound like Nichols is the only QB who has lots of passing yardage off of one play. And that's simply not true. Every QB worth a darn has multiple games where this happens. Do you question those too? Or specifically because he is a Bomber?

We won despite a below average performance. But we won. Why does that bother so much?

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I'm going to be completely honest. I thought Nichols was a little off last night. Especially early in the game, but to his credit he played an amazing stretch where they scored on SIX STRAIGHT possessions. He turned a rough start into one of his overall games of his career. ( career high 4 TD's) the thing I see out of Nichols is that once he gets into grove with his receiving core I think he's going to have an outstanding season and prove a lot of critics wrong. Heck I think he strives off of it.

The problem I hear is he just could not keep his eyes off the great stadium.  Looking for receivers was secondary.  How about this?  Practice and exhibitions are not match for the real thing and after 8 months of no real work he was bound to have a rough start. The rest is history.

15 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I'm going to be completely honest. I thought Nichols was a little off last night. Especially early in the game, but to his credit he played an amazing stretch where they scored on SIX STRAIGHT possessions.

One of the really good things about Nichols since he became the starter, is he can have a rough stretch, put it behind him, and play very well. Like he did last night.

As opposed to falling apart,  throwing picks, bad passes and fumbling.

And what about the problems the Bombers were having with the noise?

First game in half a year.

Criticising him for his performance last night is ridiculous.

Edited by Mark F

9 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Yes, yes, I know that, but you make it sound like Nichols is the only QB who has lots of passing yardage off of one play. And that's simply not true. Every QB worth a darn has multiple games where this happens. Do you question those too? Or specifically because he is a Bomber?

We won despite a below average performance. But we won. Why does that bother so much?

I didn't make it sound like anything of the sort. Not sure why you continue to read stuff that I don't type then complain about it. 

I chose us to win in the Pick Em's, so no... it doesn't bother me that we won. Not even a little bit. Just another case of you reading something that isn't there then complaining about it.