Solving Our Goaltender Problem

Just now, iHeart said:

so I'm guessing Brian Elliott said no since management has been contacting Mason?

Said, no, to what?

I would say the Jets are doing their due diligence, like any professional hockey team would.

You need to determine what is available, at what cost.

I would still say Elliott is their number one target. Cost-term-reality wise. But that's an opinion based on what's been reported.

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

so I'm guessing Brian Elliott said no since management has been contacting Mason?

Not at all. It's in the Jets' best interests to contact both and see where each player stands, what they're expecting, and what's expected of him. Due diligence on the part of a GM who plans to dip into free agency in a meaningful way this year... Something Cheveldayoff has to do.

Based on how the rumours/reports emerged, I'd imagine Elliott was the higher priority. He and Mason are both worth contacting prior to free agency to determine who's the better fit.

2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

you know it's a shame that Hellbuyck isn't up for free agency either then we could have taken both Elliott and Mason

Would never happen. If you think they would give up on a rookie goalie... Man oh man. I dont know what to say. Its almost like you dont pay attention at all. 

12 minutes ago, iHeart said:

didn't you say that once a Jet reaches a certain age they are considered a vet? Hellebuyck is how old 23ish?

Hes a rookie. He was an nhl rookie last season. Goalies dont hit their prime until they are 26 27 28... Its différent for everyone.. Usually vet means so many years of nhl experience. Helle has 1 year experience. 

Is Poolman a vet? Hes 24. 

Edited by Goalie

I would personally consider Hellebuyck to be a veteran now, BUT he still has lots of room to grow.  I don't think you would ever want to stick with two veteran guys who have plateaued like Elliott and Mason likely have.  IMO you want that young guy with potential and a seasoned vet to play with him.  i.e. Hellebuyck/Elliott.