Solving Our Goaltender Problem

Its interesting to see the speculation shift to Mason.  I'd rather have Mason over Elliott but I figured the fit was better with Elliott.  Mason has said he wants a starting job.  If the Jets sign him, likely for more money/term than we expected, then it means he's been given the chance (and probability) of starting for the Jets.  Which isnt terrible (let the best goalie play) but it means they really goofed with Helle as starter last season and want to pull him back a bit and build him back up.

I'd be happy with Mason.  Sounds like a guy who wants to prove he's a starter.

Maybe Im crazy but I wouldnt have a problem with that contract.  It's Free Agency so in many cases you have to over-pay to get the player you want.  Even if he sucked, 2 years is short term.  Jets can afford it.  And with even slightly better goaltending last year and some healthy D we make the playoffs where the team easily recoups that $4 million.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Maybe Im crazy but I wouldnt have a problem with that contract.  It's Free Agency so in many cases you have to over-pay to get the player you want.  Even if he sucked, 2 years is short term.  Jets can afford it.  And with even slightly better goaltending last year and some healthy D we make the playoffs where the team easily recoups that $4 million.

Yep I love the short term.  4 mil is big money but we don't have much tied up in goaltending right now so we can afford it, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yep I love the short term.  4 mil is big money but we don't have much tied up in goaltending right now so we can afford it, IMO.

I'd rather pay $4 for two years than lesser money for longer term.  Jets have money but will also have big contracts to sign in...two years.  Two years would be surprisingly solid term.

Pavelec was carrying a cap hit of $3.9M.  Hellebuyck is likely to sign a relatively cheap deal as he has just come off his ELC and hasn't earned a big bump in salary.

If Mason signs for 2 years @ $4M, cap wise it is pretty much a lateral move from what we had invested in goal tending last season.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Pavelec was carrying a cap hit of $3.9M.  Hellebuyck is likely to sign a relatively cheap deal as he has just come off his ELC and hasn't earned a big bump in salary.

If Mason signs for 2 years @ $4M, cap wise it is pretty much a lateral move from what we had invested in goal tending last season.

Except in this case the 4 million dollar man is actually contributing!

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

2x$4m for Mason is not great value... I guess the term is good but Mason is not a goalie that is going to bail out a free-wheeling D

True but consider the circumstances.  Would you prefer an even worse goalie for less money?  Or sign an unproven guy like Raanta or Darling to a long term, big money deal and essentially give up on Hellebuyck?  It's not an easy decision to make.

If they sign Mason for two years, I dont even care about the money.  And if he turns out to be the worst goalie of all time, what has been lost?  Money, thats it.  It isnt my money so I dont care.  It doesnt hamstring the Jets in anyway because they have lots of money and cap space.  The term is far more important.  If it was a long term deal, then the money becomes a bigger factor.

Whether we sign him or not, the quality of the player can be debated.  But Mason will have multiple offers.  its nice to know the Jets are actually making the effort. if they sign him and he sucks, its not like the Jets are dumb because they will have been the one team of many trying to make the same deal.  They have to try to improve.

Preds showed that just making the playoffs means anything can happen.

And if the Jets are a "budget" team (they arent really), making the playoffs becomes more important because its a cash cow and pure profit to the team.

31 minutes ago, Atomic said:

True but consider the circumstances.  Would you prefer an even worse goalie for less money?  Or sign an unproven guy like Raanta or Darling to a long term, big money deal and essentially give up on Hellebuyck?  It's not an easy decision to make.

Yes, my preference would have been Darling or Raanta.  Possibly Nilsson.

Darling at $4m for 4 years would not equal giving up on Helle...  Raanta signed for one year at $1 million - no one says you have to re-sign him

Anyway, my concern is that both Mason and Elliott are not big play goalies - the wheels can come off these guys pretty quick...  Maurice will need to tighten up his D for them (and Helle) to succeed... 

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Darling at $4m for 4 years would not equal giving up on Helle...  Raanta signed for one year at $1 million - no one says you have to re-sign him

Anyway, my concern is that both Mason and Elliott are not big play goalies - the wheels can come off these guys pretty quick...  Maurice will need to tighten up his D for them (and Helle) to succeed... 

Hmm yeah I guess Darling's contract actually was pretty good.  I'd deluded myself into believing he signed for more money and a longer term.  Now I remember that I was mad we didn't make a push for him.  Go Jets Go, I guess.

The good things about Mason that I see... is that he's a right hand glove - so thats a different way for teams to prep for each of our goalies.  And if one of them is getting shelled, the backup will change the game

Mason also had a huge rookie year and then collapsed - so he could be a very good mentor for Helle in terms of how to handle a starting role, a drop in his game, etc etc

34 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The good things about Mason that I see... is that he's a right hand glove - so thats a different way for teams to prep for each of our goalies.  And if one of them is getting shelled, the backup will change the game

Mason also had a huge rookie year and then collapsed - so he could be a very good mentor for Helle in terms of how to handle a starting role, a drop in his game, etc etc

Yeah I feel the same way.  He won the Calder didn't he?  10 shutouts that year.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Weird almost no talk about Darling.