Solving Our Goaltender Problem

25 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I don't know, his stats tell me he's had more good seasons than bad

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=72686

No they don't, they say that he can have an inflated save percentage when he's got a great defensive team like St.Louis in front of him. Seriously have you watched the guy play? Cause the numbers are inflated plain and simple. I laughed when the Flames brought him in cause I knew their season would be **** with him, only thing that prevented them from being a lottery team was when Johnson came in and went on one of his unsustainable hot streaks. 

You guys ran Pavelec out of town and the difference between Pavelec and Elliott is mostly that Pavelec doesn't have the extreme highs and lows that Elliott does. 

29 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Well, they had Jake Allen in development. I wouldn't say the Blues "got sick of his ****"... It was simply time to move on.

Again, who would you rather the Jets get to address their goaltending needs? I don't think Elliott is as bad as you're making him out to be, but more importantly, what's the alternative at this stage for the organization? A stopgap who can play well enough, provide a veteran presence, and take pressure off a developing young goalie is what the Jets need.

And how did Jake Allen do this year? So well that they had to send him home for a while. Not like he kicked the door down and forced Elliott out, the Blues got tired of not being able to count on Elliott and hoped that Allen was the guy. 

The Jets woulda been better off continuing to support their young goalies, play solid in front of them and let them grow into the role. I can already see though that the fans are going to eat their own with any goalie who isn't Carey Price, and even he likely would take more **** than deserved. 

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And how did Jake Allen do this year? So well that they had to send him home for a while. Not like he kicked the door down and forced Elliott out, the Blues got tired of not being able to count on Elliott and hoped that Allen was the guy. 

The Jets woulda been better off continuing to support their young goalies, play solid in front of them and let them grow into the role. I can already see though that the fans are going to eat their own with any goalie who isn't Carey Price, and even he likely would take more **** than deserved. 

Billy-Beane-Brad-Pitt.gif

24 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And then Allen got his head on straight and played very well down the stretch and into the post-season. He pretty much stole the opening round against the Wild.

A goalie's numbers will usually be influenced by the team in front of him, particularly in how that team plays defensively and the talent on its blue line.

Anyway, you think the team should continue running Hellebuyck and Hutchinson...? That worked so well for the team last season, eh? Oh, wait...

Cheveldayoff made it clear goaltending was a weakness and would address it in the off-season. Sticking to the status quo is not option - because the numbers don't lie.

40 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No they don't, they say that he can have an inflated save percentage when he's got a great defensive team like St.Louis in front of him. Seriously have you watched the guy play? Cause the numbers are inflated plain and simple. I laughed when the Flames brought him in cause I knew their season would be **** with him, only thing that prevented them from being a lottery team was when Johnson came in and went on one of his unsustainable hot streaks. 

You guys ran Pavelec out of town and the difference between Pavelec and Elliott is mostly that Pavelec doesn't have the extreme highs and lows that Elliott does. 

Im not sure how a person hired to do a specific job and paid a lot of money and then consistently under-performs until his contract expires translates to "you guys ran him out of town". 

Im sure there are many who would gladly drive him to the airport but realistically, he can afford a car service.

I always liked Pavs but lets not pretend he was anything more than poor at his job.

10 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And then Allen got his head on straight and played very well down the stretch and into the post-season. He pretty much stole the opening round against the Wild.

A goalie's numbers will usually be influenced by the team in front of him, particularly in how that team plays defensively and the talent on its blue line.

Anyway, you think the team should continue running Hellebuyck and Hutchinson...? That worked so well for the team last season, eh? Oh, wait...

Cheveldayoff made it clear goaltending was a weakness and would address it in the off-season. Sticking to the status quo is not option - because the numbers don't lie.

Yes.  This crazy idea that the goaltending issues are a combination of poor D and the fans is ridiculous.

Clearly the Jets hopes Hutch was the veteran back up that could give Helle a break when he inevitably struggled as a rookie.  He wasn't.  So now they will sign someone who is. 

If the Jets need Elliott to start then something bad has happened.  He's a back up meant to support Helle as he develops into an every game starter.

We need a good veteran backup.  This idea that, if not for the fans, we could just ride Helle/Hutch is bordering on total lunacy.

Elliott is good enough.  Inconsistent is fine.  He will not be relied upon to carry the load for more than 20-30 games.  This is still Helle's job to lose.  We just need someone we can turn to when Helle is struggling with the workload and count on them to not blow it EVERY NIGHT like Hutchinson did this past season.

Everything about Elliott's past suggests that he's not a starter but he is perfect for a veteran backup role.

If Elliott can be better than Hutch (he can) and Hellebuyck ups his game incrementally (he will), we will be fine in net.

Conversation over, I have solved the debate.  Let's all go home to our mothers.

39 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not sure how a person hired to do a specific job and paid a lot of money and then consistently under-performs until his contract expires translates to "you guys ran him out of town". 

If anything, Pavelec ran himself out of town into unrestricted free agency by not being sufficiently good at goaltending. Sure, there were other issues ailing the team but his tenure with this franchise was mostly a forgettable one.

Goaltenders are under the microscope in every NHL market. Winnipeg isn't an exception by any stretch of the imagination.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

We need a good veteran backup.  This idea that, if not for the fans, we could just ride Helle/Hutch is bordering on total lunacy.

Elliott is good enough.  Inconsistent is fine.  He will not be relied upon to carry the load for more than 20-30 games.  This is still Helle's job to lose.  We just need someone we can turn to when Helle is struggling with the workload and count on them to not blow it EVERY NIGHT like Hutchinson did this past season.

Everything about Elliott's past suggests that he's not a starter but he is perfect for a veteran backup role.

If Elliott can be better than Hutch (he can) and Hellebuyck ups his game incrementally (he will), we will be fine in net.

Conversation over, I have solved the debate.  Let's all go home to our mothers.

Agreed.  We werent that far removed from the Playoffs last year.  With a D that never played the full corp.  I expect Helle to be better and a back up like Elliott will be good for Helle and as long as he doesnt suck when he starts, everything else being equal, we should be in the mix for the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

If anything, Pavelec ran himself out of town into unrestricted free agency by not being sufficiently good at goaltending. Sure, there were other issues ailing the team but his tenure with this franchise was mostly a forgettable one.

Goaltenders are under the microscope in every NHL market. Winnipeg isn't an exception by any stretch of the imagination.

As much as I like Pavs, I cant disagree.  He was banished to the Moose last season and by all accounts had a great attitude about it.  He then had a shot at redemption....and crapped the bed in a most glorious manner.  I hope the best for him.  But it wont be here.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

okay then what are his real stats?

Pavelec statistically was one of the worst goalies in the league over the last few years. Nobody ran him out of town.. His inability to make saves did. 

Pretty good bet that hes done in the NHL. 

Im sorry but saying the fans ran him out of town is ridiculous and comparing him to Elliott is just a slap in the face to Elliott. Pavelec was awful just like Nail Yakupov who was apparently ruined by 1 guy... Gimme a break with this crap. 

Edited by Goalie

7 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Why not both?

But seriously Jets, stay the **** away from Elliott, guy is useless and was propped up by a great D in St. Louis. Calgary was on their way to an embarrassment of a season with Elliott until Chad Johnson had one of his patented hot streaks and dragged them out of the basement. There is a reason that the Flames who have also been trying to solve their goal tending problems for a few years now didn't bother keeping the guy around. He'll have a few hot streaks (like he did for the Flames leading up to the playoffs) but he will also have his ice cold streaks (like he did for the Flames in the playoffs and to start the season) He is not the guy to solve anything for a team in the net. 

Well then, there's always Pavs.

18 minutes ago, iHeart said:

despite the strong rumours about Brian Elliott possibly signing here, the management is pretty much playing the field

I would expect them to look into all their options.... I wouldn't mind Mason here either but I think it will be more money and more term to get him and I'm not sure he's that much better than Elliott.

The fact is Mason is younger and has been quoted as saying every team needs a true #1 and he isnt interested in splitting time. Bernier is hot and cold, again is younger, and is probably looking for a starting roll. Elliott fits the bill perfectly. He's 32, put up good numbers historically, has won in the playoffs, and is perfectly suited to mentor Hellebuyck. I have no problem with him playing 40+ games platooning with Hellebuyck, with Maurice playing the hot hand. Doesnt hurt his wife is a rocket too. Welcome to Winnipeg Mr and Mrs Elliott!

Edited by Bubba Zanetti