Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

You are bang on here. We will win 8 and he will be on the bubble. To me it hinges on the defense. As far as I'm concerned, he was brought in here for one reason, to build a defense that can win a cup. 8 wins with a much improved defense and he will be back. 8 wins and a bad defense again, fired. There will be many fans that want him back no matter what, but I am not one of them. Win or hit the road.

I agree with you completely Ripper.   There is no doubt that the Riders will win 8 games.  The only question will be how many seasons it takes.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Was it worth it 4 seasons later? That's debatable seeing the state of the Riders since.  Lovin' it btw.

What else is there to the game besides winning a championship? If the 2007 or 2011 Bombers had won it all, I'd have been much more okay with the 2008, 2012 and 2013 seasons, respectively.

Of course it's worth it. That's why they play the game: to win.

Sorry, Ripper, but it will take divine intervention plus at least two starting quarterbacks in the western conference being put on the D/L for extended periods for the Riders to win 8 games. I look at the Rider roster and see so many problems. No matter how good a coach is (and I am not conceding Jones to be a good coach), you gotta have the horses. I expect Jones to field what will be pretty much a season-starting roster in the exhibition games to silence the critics and hope to inspire the team. Without a miracle, the Riders will be looking at 5 or 6 wins with a bit of luck, but I think Glenn will be treated for PTSD before Labour Day.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What else is there to the game besides winning a championship? If the 2007 or 2011 Bombers had won it all, I'd have been much more okay with the 2008, 2012 and 2013 seasons, respectively.

Of course it's worth it. That's why they play the game: to win.

Seeing the Riders now & all they've suffered since 2013 it isn't worth it. But as I said, I love it as it couldn't have happened to a more asshat fanbase.

20 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What is your take on ex-Ticats Gainey and Dyakowski?

Gainey was an average db and was a liability when put at corner. Dyakowski was getting routinely beat last year. Yes the passport is handy but doesnt he still have to actually perform when he plays ? And Riders gave up a starting receiver for that?

12 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I believe the Bombers is the last to bid on the supplemental draft? Meaning they can get Bartlett if they want him? 

Worst team in the league has waiver priority.  It's a blind bid.  If there's a tie, 2 teams offer same round, the team with higher waiver priority gets the player and forfeits their 2018 pick.

Priority is: Toronto, Saskatchewan, Montreal, Hamilton, Edmonton, Winnipeg, BC, Calgary, Ottawa

5 hours ago, Jacquie said:

I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

http://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/nfl-draft-diamonds-scouting-report-brandyn-bartlett-olb-tusculum-college/

"Strengths: He’s an athletic outside linebacker with good speed, balance, range and explosiveness.  Bartlett has a violent mentality when tackling, and can cause a fumble at any time.  With good instincts, he shows that he’s very disciplined against the run and the pass.  He can diagnose a play pretty quick, and can close in on a QB at a fast rate when blitzing.  He can disengage a blocker, and get to the ball carrier well, including the will to chase him down from behind.  In pass coverage, Bartlett can stick to his guy when playing man, and can stick to his responsibility with good awareness when playing zone.  He has the frame of a pro level outside linebacker."

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2609236/5721dc950c5e681224b725d3

Hard not to love the guy. Athletic, great size, fast with great cover skills, smart and disciplined. You really see in his highlights how football smart he is. I love that he doesnt sell out to make big hits, allways wraps and assures a tackle. Also how he attacks the ball. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Seeing the Riders now & all they've suffered since 2013 it isn't worth it. But as I said, I love it as it couldn't have happened to a more asshat fanbase.

Because the Bombers prior to last season haven't suffered...? Last season was the Bombers first season over .500 in five years. At least the Riders have won a championship in that time.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Because the Bombers prior to last season haven't suffered...? Last season was the Bombers first season over .500 in five years. At least the Riders have won a championship in that time.

This is exactly what I don't understand. I get this is a Bombers forum and all, and every fan base likes to bash one another. But the Bombers showed a small glimpse of hope last year. Their record was mediocre at best. Its been so long since the Bombers fan base has won a Grey Cup that you fans believe you have the best team in the west. But in reality all it takes is for Matt N to go down and the Bombers are a bottom feeder team.

Every year the discussion is up for debate on who is the worst team in the league is and frankly I don't think it's the Bombers or the Riders. I've attended alot of the riders training camps this year and theee are alot of puzzle pieces that were found this year. It's a much better Riders team than last season, much better. I know Glenn is old but he still looks better than Durant. I think that Bennett could be an exciting kid to watch. Im shocked the Bombers didnt even consider him at 3. I'm sure the Bombers have also gotten better this year.

3 hours ago, Kluchk said:

This is exactly what I don't understand. I get this is a Bombers forum and all, and every fan base likes to bash one another. But the Bombers showed a small glimpse of hope last year. Their record was mediocre at best. Its been so long since the Bombers fan base has won a Grey Cup that you fans believe you have the best team in the west. But in reality all it takes is for Matt N to go down and the Bombers are a bottom feeder team.

Every year the discussion is up for debate on who is the worst team in the league is and frankly I don't think it's the Bombers or the Riders. I've attended alot of the riders training camps this year and theee are alot of puzzle pieces that were found this year. It's a much better Riders team than last season, much better. I know Glenn is old but he still looks better than Durant. I think that Bennett could be an exciting kid to watch. Im shocked the Bombers didnt even consider him at 3. I'm sure the Bombers have also gotten better this year.

biggest difference is we kept almost the same roster intact that lead us to a 10-3 record with nichols while shoring up a big weakness of ours (Dline) with Nevis and Okpalaugo. The riders on the other hand have in a different way nearly blown up their roster as much as they did last offseason. New QB, New RB, some new OL, New DL, no Cox, new Safety (unless Hecht starts some). By the time your team gels you'll already be so far down the standings you'll be looking ahead to 2018. 

I believe last year at this time many rider fans were self high fiving each other too with how much better you were compared to 2015 with fancy new FAs and a lot of scrap heaping... exactly as you have this year. End result was 2 wins better.