Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

On 1/21/2017 at 9:57 AM, TBURGESS said:

Hurl, Harris and Keeping can go. Probably only looking to keep 1 of Denmark, Gurley and McDuffie (My choice to keep). The rest should be offered 'Right Priced' contracts.

I'd have to agree with you on all fronts... but I hope they bring in an experienced Canadian O-lineman... and I'd be ok if that was Keeping...

On 1/21/2017 at 2:35 PM, Jesse said:

Walters mentioned this in a recent interview regarding Glenn as well.

They offered him a contract that fit with what they could afford to pay for a back up QB, but he asked to be released to see if other teams were slotting for more in that spot. It could still happen that Glenn doesn't find more money on the open market and we resign him.

I have a suspicion that money was only part of reason both sides put a pin in it for now.  Rather the Bombers didn't want to make any claims they might not keep regarding Glenn's spot on the depth chart.  Everyone is assuming Glenn would be the back up but there have been signs for a while that this team is looking for Davis to take a step forward.  Even last year Glenn sat in the #3 spot long after the "learning the playbook" justification had any merit left.  Davis was the first QB that got signed this offseason.  I'm not going to read anything more into that than the obvious - there is no doubt that the Bombers want Davis here.

So maybe the conversation went like this: The Bombers told Glenn they want him but he might be 3rd on the depth chart and he might have to take a very incentive laden contract as a result; Glenn said cool beans Kyle but I'm 745 years old and this could be my last contract and I don't wanna go out like that, you get me homeslice?; Walters says yo Kevs, there is only love in my heart for you, no disrespect at all, just always wanna be keepin it 100 with you, ya dig?; and Kevin digs so they hug it out and promise to keep digits at the ready both knowing that the next time they see each other it will be from opposite sides* of the field.

*Unless Glenn signs with an eastern team of course, cause those stadiums were drawn up on the back of an IHOP place mat.

I tend to agree that by signing Davis first, they gave a pretty clear signal as to their thoughts moving forward.  You don't sign a Kevin Glenn to be your 3rd stringer.  You sign someone you want to develop for that slot.  It looks like Davis will be the #2 moving forward.  Personally, I'm not too concerned moving forward because we know what Glenn brings to the table and given his age, I'm not convinced that we'd be any better with him at the helm over Davis should Nichols go down, and yes, I realize that we haven't seen much of Davis.

2 hours ago, mbrg said:

I have a suspicion that money was only part of reason both sides put a pin in it for now.  Rather the Bombers didn't want to make any claims they might not keep regarding Glenn's spot on the depth chart.  Everyone is assuming Glenn would be the back up but there have been signs for a while that this team is looking for Davis to take a step forward.  Even last year Glenn sat in the #3 spot long after the "learning the playbook" justification had any merit left.  Davis was the first QB that got signed this offseason.  I'm not going to read anything more into that than the obvious - there is no doubt that the Bombers want Davis here.

So maybe the conversation went like this: The Bombers told Glenn they want him but he might be 3rd on the depth chart and he might have to take a very incentive laden contract as a result; Glenn said cool beans Kyle but I'm 745 years old and this could be my last contract and I don't wanna go out like that, you get me homeslice?; Walters says yo Kevs, there is only love in my heart for you, no disrespect at all, just always wanna be keepin it 100 with you, ya dig?; and Kevin digs so they hug it out and promise to keep digits at the ready both knowing that the next time they see each other it will be from opposite sides* of the field.

*Unless Glenn signs with an eastern team of course, cause those stadiums were drawn up on the back of an IHOP place mat.

Brilliant.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Ed Tait @EdTaitWFC

The #Bombers add 3: WR Ryan Lankford, DBs Keith Lewis, Jeremy Harris. Lankford: 8 GP w Sask last yr. Lewis was on Wpg PR; Harris was w B.C.

Lewis is 6'1 and Harris 6'2, we're really starting to see a shift in taller db's lately.
Does anyone have any comments on Lankford and how he looked last year, I honestly don't remember seeing him at all.

Somewhat underwhelmed but on the bright side, if we were going to recycle DBs from two teams right now, BC and Winnipeg are at the top of the list (with Calgary, as well) for recruiting those spots.

Lankford, however ... why bother is my immediate opinion.

25 minutes ago, Judd said:

Wow that thread does not inspire any confidence for this signing.

I also read a thread on that site that said Durant is crap,  Nichols is crap,  Andrew Harris is crap,  Medlock is crap ,  Leggett is crap etc....

I would be zero stock on any reports from riderfans threads.

Lankford is most likely TCF and if he sticks then good for us.  

29 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So just to be clear... Denmark gets 8 TDs and 700 yards in 11 games...

But we sign Stafford because of his 'chemistry' with Nichols (700 yards and 9 TDS in 18 games) and then a hack like Lankford...

Denmark = 31

Stafford = 26

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

But we sign Stafford because of his 'chemistry' with Nichols (700 yards and 9 TDS in 18 games) and then a hack like Lankford...

Nichols only played with Stafford for 8 games... So?

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Stafford i bet came dirt cheap. Lankford smells like TCF. Course im still hoping denmark is back for tc. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Denmark = 31

Stafford = 26

age, cost etc. Though i think stafford more pushes out gurley, not denmark. Or i sure hope thats the case. 

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

They let Mayo walk and pick up Lankford???  If they MUST pick up Rider fodder wait for Holley or Collins to spring loose.

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Don't get the Langford signing. Can't our scouts find their own TCF?

Let's not forget, the scouts have all kinds of input on players already in the league. Langford would fall into this category. They believe he's worth a look-see. A look-see doesn't cost much and some of the learning curve has already been dealt worth.

And that's just fine with me.